The Old Tavern, Hanioti

The Old Tavern, Hanioti

Posted by Amanda 
kerry
Re: The Old Tavern, Hanioti
September 01, 2003 05:59AM
Hiya Amanda!No reason for posting,just wanted to say hello & make it upto 140 posts hahaha. x
amanda
September 01, 2003 06:27AM
Keith and Sue
Sorry for delay! The exchange office here buys at 0.709 GBP to 1 Euro so the board says! That is todays rate here - it may change slightly every day -so if you check today with your bank and see which is the best deal!

Let me know if the rate is better here so I can let other interested parties know!

Craig and Kim - hope we see you - even if you are just passing! Told you it was hot eh??!!!

Cheers
Amanda

ps Emma if you are reading this - let me know if you book for Thursday - and pack as light as you can - I cant tell you how hot it is - esp yesterday and today! Its only 9.30am and we are all sweating!!!! Nice huh?!
Keith Mac
September 01, 2003 02:29PM
Hi Amanda

Thanks for the info on exchange rate.

It seems that it will be better to change most of our money there in Hanioti, as the exchange rate here is 1.372 euro to the pound, were as based on what you told us, over there we will get nearly 1.43 to the pound.

I am not sure how that works backwards but i think here the rate would be about 0.728 to 1 euro, so obviously the rate in Hanioti at 0.709 is a better rate.

Perhaps we were getting such a low rate in Kriopigi because the place is so small and there are no banks there, hence them only giving 1.34 euro to the pound.

Hope this info will answer other peoples queries on the exchange rate.

Thanks for taking time out yet again to help us, much appreciated.

See you soon.

Keith and Sue
puddleduck
September 02, 2003 11:12AM
Hi Amanda, I just wanted to let you know that I've really enjoyed reading this thread to get me in the mood.

Only 43 more hours until we take off from Newcastle - not that I'm counting!

Please don't be disheartened by anything negative you've read on here. After all, it's only people's opinions and the world would be a boring place if we all felt the same.

A nice greek salad to go with my cider while we watch the grand prix will be fine with me. Glad to hear you take visa - I don't need to worry about how much we have to drink! Mind you, I think we'll have to get a taxi back to Polychrono.

We'll try and pop over to Hanioti sometime before the 14th, just to make sure you'll be showing it.

See you soon,
Dawn & Marcus.
Aimee
September 02, 2003 02:15PM
Hiya Amanda!

Just to let you know that my Yahoo email is 'temporarily unavailable' (and has been for the last 24 hours - not so 'temporarily') so I will email you proparly when I can get logged back in.

Ian says 'hi aye' to you all yawning smiley)

TTFN
Aimee x

PS
Dawn - the Greek salad in the Old Tavern is wicked, I had one on my first night and it was yummy! Youve GOT to try the Fig Ice Cream as well - I know it sounds yuck but we all thought it was delicious, especially on a pancake! Enjoy ur holiday!
puddleduck
September 03, 2003 07:01AM
Thanks Aimee, that ice cream does sound horrid but I'll try anything once. I think I'll get Marcus to order it !

Only 23 hours to go now...........

Dawn.
amanda
September 03, 2003 12:01PM
Dawn and Marcus

Not couting then?! haha - not long - naff rainy day today but was so uncomfortable before - nice to have this clearing spell before we go back to bizarre heat again!
Thanks for your kind words - Im not disheartened to be honest - I dont expect everyone to like what we've done with the place, but you can imagine being the first year open...! But hey - if Aimee can convince you to try fig ice cream (its totally delicious - trust me!) - what can I say?!

Aimee
Love to you and Ian - I will wait until you are "available"!!!

Cheers
Amanda
margaret
September 03, 2003 12:17PM
hi amanda,
ive just found a little super star in you,your an oricle of information so here
goes------we,ll be in polchrono for 2 weeks on 29th sept,6 of us ----4 staying at anthi studios,2 in panarama apts.
dont worry were all over 50 and well versed in table manners.
1st what is the weather like at that time of year,dont mind if its not too hot
concerned about rainfall,if it rains at all does it go on for days.
2nd we like to walk a lot ,10 miles a day not a problem,are there any nice walks we can do without getting the mountain rescue teams out.
3rd---will we be allowed to light a portable bbq on the beach or are there laws that forbid it .
4thly----now this is a woman thing,not for mens eyes,because they wont be interested,here goes-----are there any LAUNDERETTES localy,we dont wont to bring loads of clothes with us,and its getting it dry back in the u. k.
in october.and there is nothing nicer than returning home from holiday
with cases of clean dry washing.im sure all ladies will be interested in this reply.
i read your reply to ---how far is to hanioti from policrono ,40 mins if you go on the back roads,will it be ok to do it in the dark.
really looking forward to my happy holiday,and to visiting you at your
restaurant,dont think we,ll see you breakfast though,but definatley
at evening meal,sounds great.
many thanks for the time you donate to this sight,because of people
like you ,the world is definately getting smaller.3 cheers for amanda
hip hip hurray, hip hip hurray,hip hip hurray,
bye for now
margaret
margaret
September 03, 2003 12:19PM
hi amanda,
ive just found a little super star in you,your an oricle of information so here
goes------we,ll be in polchrono for 2 weeks on 29th sept,6 of us ----4 staying at anthi studios,2 in panarama apts.
dont worry were all over 50 and well versed in table manners.
1st what is the weather like at that time of year,dont mind if its not too hot
concerned about rainfall,if it rains at all does it go on for days.
2nd we like to walk a lot ,10 miles a day not a problem,are there any nice walks we can do without getting the mountain rescue teams out.
3rd---will we be allowed to light a portable bbq on the beach or are there laws that forbid it .
4thly----now this is a woman thing,not for mens eyes,because they wont be interested,here goes-----are there any LAUNDERETTES localy,we dont wont to bring loads of clothes with us,and its getting it dry back in the u. k.
in october.and there is nothing nicer than returning home from holiday
with cases of clean dry washing.im sure all ladies will be interested in this reply.
i read your reply to ---how far is to hanioti from policrono ,40 mins if you go on the back roads,will it be ok to do it in the dark.
really looking forward to my happy holiday,and to visiting you at your
restaurant,dont think we,ll see you breakfast though,but definatley
at evening meal,sounds great.
many thanks for the time you donate to this sight,because of people
like you ,the world is definately getting smaller.3 cheers for amanda
hip hip hurray, hip hip hurray,hip hip hurray,
bye for now
margaret
sammy
September 03, 2003 02:00PM
i am going over to hanioti in oct 2- 16 what clothes do i need for the weather at that time
margaret
September 03, 2003 02:42PM
hi amanda,
forgot to ask you these questions,
what is the coache journey from the airport like/ white nuckle ride or what,
also what are the scooter prices like,and are the roads safe to use them on,our husbands both have u. k. bikers licenses and are aged 56,
taking all that into consideration,would you get on the back of a scooter
with one of them,
many thanks ,ps are you 2hours ahead of uk.time.
and when do your clocks go back for winter,is it the end of sept,
i,ll get lost in the time zones,i,ll have to have to have lots of night caps
to bring me in line with greek time,a bottle or two of bacardi should do the trick.
look forward to meeting you very soon,youll know me instantly,i,m the talkative one from the group,youll recognise the accent,i,ll give you a clue
ferry cross the mersey,guessed.
thanks again

,margaret
amanda
September 03, 2003 03:35PM
Margaret - what a giggle!
Im off to the pub so will answer all your questions when I get home tonight (prob about 9.30pm your time). I need to check with my hubby on question 3 re: portable bbq so will answer all tonight

Cheers
Amanda
TRACY STATT
September 03, 2003 07:18PM
HELLO AMANDA

BEEN READING ALL THE MESSAGES SO THOUGHT I WOULD POST MY OWN.

HUBBY AND I WILL BE HEADIND OUT TO HANIOTI ON 11/09/03 STAYING
AT THE ANGELO APARTMENTS (HEARD MIXED REPORTS ABOUT THIS).

JUST WONDERING IF YOU CAN GIVE THE USUAL INFO, I EXPECT YOU
GET FED UP WRITING IT, BUT WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE AT MOMENT
AND IS IS HOT OR JUST WARM, MIND YOU I GUESS ANYTHING COMPARED TO WHAT WE GET HERE IN GOOD OLD LOWESTOFT IS HOT, ALTHOUGH IT HAS BEEN NICE RECENTLY.

ANYWAY WE WILL CERTAINLY COME AND EAT AT YOUR PLACE.

TRACY AND DARREN
Rosemary
September 03, 2003 10:02PM
If its any help, we, (4) of us stayed at the Angelo in May. It has fair sized rooms, albeit the furniture is a bit dated, but spotlessly clean. Large wooden wardrobes, table, hairdryer, 2 ring mini electric cooker, siiting on worktop and plenty of crockery. Some balconies dont have much of an outlook, (overlooking next hotel) but others have a sunny, clear outlook. Angelo's gardens are big and there are loads of loungers and some fabby hanging, spring suspended relaxers too. The staff are helpful, and eager to please. There is resraurants within the grounds but the mamnagement dont like you eating or drinking your own foodstuffs round the pool or in the garden area. Loads of evening entertainment if you want to join in, and bar prices about the same as in Britain. Angelo's pool isvery clean but base of pool has a roughcast finish. Unusual change from tiles. Reception are is beside the pool and safety deposit boxes are available in a different seating area of the complex. Reception is opened 24hrs. Hope this helps. If the weather is anything like it was in May, we'll be over the moon when we return on Sept 18th
amanda
September 04, 2003 07:43AM
Ok - sorry but I have to be honest but its raining lots at the mo! Started yesterday and hasnt stopped! Normally doesnt go on like this but hey - I dont like the rain either! We are now arranging for some nice blinds to go around the pub so if you decide to still visit us (THE RAIN ISNY MY FAULT!!) you will be able to in the dry and warm!

Margaret - sorry for late response but left pub very late last night - was very busy - extra busy as when it rains we are right next to the big hotels (not that Im complaining AT ALL!)

In answer to your questions:-
1. The weather - think I've covered it - fingers crossed for tomorrow !!
2. Many lovely walks (very green and luschious here)- obviously the sunshine helps!
3. Not sure on bbq but noone thinks it is a problem - Ive asked around and everyone seems to think its ok!
4. Launderette is in Pefkhouri - next village - you leave it with them and collect it later - not one where you do it yourself. Prices are ok too.
5. Although the walk from village to village is nice - i wouldnt advise to do it in the dark. Better to get a taxi back - not expensive either so no problems there!
6. Journey from airport to Hanioti is about 1 1/2 hours and its fine - just a straight road (ok lots of bends as you get nearer) and you wont turn off the road at all - its actually a very pretty drive through the villages and if its a sunny day - at one point - you can see Mount Olympus to your right (very clear day though!)
7. never hired a scooter but many people do so I dont see why not - although you must watch the greek drivers on the roads - they are pretty fast!
8. We are 2 hours ahead and our clocks change the same day as in the Uk so we are always 2 hours ahead - no extra and no less - but you dont need any extra to spend the night drinking with us! Plenty of bacardi!

Hope that answers your questions - look forward to seeing you

Cheers
Amanda
amanda
September 04, 2003 07:48AM
Hi Sammy
I would bring over summer clothes but also make sure yu have some trousers and cardy or jumper cos the evenings tend to get a lot cooler then. Also a little umbrella - just in case! It can be really warm in the day - or pretty cool - prepare for both!

Tracey and Darren
Hopefully you've read above the weather report - fingers crossed for better weather tomorrow - although I think its setfor the day today!

Rosemary - we were doing up the pub in May so you know exactly where we are! Look forward to seeing you soon - hopefully with the May weather! It was fab then - and we hope its the same soon!

Cheers
Amanda
amanda
September 04, 2003 03:19PM
Went to sleep this afternoon and it was pouring with rain - woke up at 4pm - to a bright blue sky with no cloud in sight!
Funny how quickly it changes here!!! From trousers to shorts in a matter of hours!!
margaret
September 05, 2003 12:39AM
hi amanda,
so glad you had a snooze,and when you awoke sunny sunshine was out.
thanks so much for the answers to my questions they were a great help,
but i have one more question to ask you ,or any one else who may be able
to tell me,but i need to know it as gospel.
here goes.can i take any foods like ,butter bacon ham cheese pre packed
meats ect out of the uk as these products will be needed in self catering
accom in polichrono,i no it was banned when we had the foot and mouth
out break,but dont know if the ban has been lifted.
all info would be a great help.
many thanks,see you soon.
margaret
amanda
September 05, 2003 09:13AM
Margaret
To be honest Im not sure what u can/t bring - I know people bring their own bacon (and apart from our English brekkie I dont blame them cos the Greek bacon is horrible) - but why not buy the butter, cheese, ham and other foods at the supermarket here?! The prices are ok and I can guarantee the food - there are a lot of recogniseable brands so better to buy the other things here! There is a place in Polychrono I believe that sells solely English food and is an English only cafe so maybe the owner gets his/her supplies locally?!
Hope this helps!
Cheers
Amanda
margaret
September 05, 2003 09:44AM
hello again amanda,
thank,s for that info,but as we will arrive at out apts at 3 in the mornig
thought it would be a good idea to bring a few supplies with us,dont fancy looking for a super market on an empty stomache.
the rest of the holiday i,ll shop at the supermarkets,are plan is to eat
breakfast in the apt,picnic lunch,and eat out in the evening.
as we have a lot of hols each year,we have to budget each one,plus
if we eat out for all meals i,ll put that much weight on i,ll look like
a beached whale.when eating out we tend to eat were the locals dine,
or a place were you have to wait for a table,its useually a good sign.
so we,ll recognise the old tavern wont we as from the sounds of it ,its
always busy from morning till night.i do hope you serve greek cakes
as they are out of this world,and the saladsmmmmmmmmm.
i,m drooling already and not there yet.
look forward to meeting you and yours,i dare say i,ll be in touch again
before we arrive,till then take care and many thanks for all of your help.
margaret
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.