The Old Tavern, Hanioti

The Old Tavern, Hanioti

Posted by Amanda 
puddleduck
Re: The Old Tavern, Hanioti
August 21, 2003 07:30AM
Thanks Amanda, I have heard that Thessalonika isn't worth it. I'm more interested in old historic sights.
As long as the beach is nice, local friendly and we've a few nice places to eat we'll be happy with Polychrono. We're not into clubbing etc. and are looking for a nice laid back holiday.

One more thing, we're F1 fans and there'll be a race on while we're away. I'm not expecting to find a bar in Poly but is there anywhere in Hanioti that will show it?

Thanks,
Dawn.
amanda
August 21, 2003 03:26PM

Dawn - We are sorting Sky out today ready for tomorrow - we've decided to put it up in the end! So if we can get F1 on that then maybe..........!!!!

Emma- fab mesage thanks - cant wait to see you xxxxx
stacey
August 21, 2003 09:42PM
hi Amanda me and my boyfiend are coming over for two weeks at the begging of september i just wonderd if we would be close to you and if you knew any think about our hotel its called Daphne apartments hotel it would be a great help.
Amanda
August 22, 2003 06:17AM
Stacey

My family always stay in Daphne Apts - the rooms are excellent with fantastic facilities, and they cannot fault them in any way at all!

The only downside is its a 10-15 min walk into the main area - so if you dont mind a little walk - then you have no problem!

Everything is within 15 mins of everything so we are again about 10-15 min walk away (but well worth it!)

Hope we see you next week when you come! If you come out of Daphne, cross over the main road and go straight over - you come to a crossroads - bear left walk to the end and you come to another crossroads - straight over and you cant miss us!

Cheers
Amanda
Gail
August 23, 2003 01:57AM
Hey there,

I will be in Hanioti with my fiance in 2 weeks time coming all the way from Thurso near John Ogroats in Scotland so I will be sure to be in to say hello and have one of you famous breakfasts

Gail
Amanda
August 23, 2003 06:49AM
Gail!

Be great to see you - hope you come and visit!

Cheers
Amanda
andy
August 23, 2003 05:44PM
Hi Amanda, me and the wife are going to Kriopgi staying at the Kassandra Palace the first two weeks in Sept, i was woundering how far Hanioti is from there. I have hired a car but we also like walking, is it with in walking distance or is it better to drive there,we will definately drop by your place.

Andy
Craig
August 24, 2003 09:04AM
Hi amanda. Will you be showin the Liverpool V everton match in your restaurant? It is this coming saturday. We are travelling out on Wednesday.
amanda
August 24, 2003 03:37PM
Andy

Kriopigi is a bit far to walk - 10-15 mins in car but unless you are both avid trekkers??!!!
Good job you've hired a car - loads to see - and that means you can come and see us! Please come and introduce yourselves when you come - be nice to meet!

Craig - we are certainly working on it - the beers a dead cert - and if we cant get the match sorted by Saturday - we dont deserve people to come and watch it !!!! After all - its a week away!!

Must go now cos Im off to see the circus!!

Cheers
Amanda
andy
August 24, 2003 08:21PM
Thanks Amanda, look forward to meeting you
Aimee
August 26, 2003 09:21AM
Hi Amanda + Dimitri + those lovely waiters of yours!!

Im back at work and its NOT NICE! Its cold, raining, miserable and in typical Aimee-world my cold has gone and I feel heaps better - surely it should have been the other way around!? Only I can get a cold in a hot country and have it go away when I get back to a cold one...!!

Me and Ian both wish we were back in Hanioti, we sat in a sulk on the bus on the way to the airport, kept passing nice beaches with people on them having fun, very upsetting it was.

Thank you sooooooooooo much for making me and Ian (and Eileen + Margy) feel so welcome, it was lovely to know we could pop down for a drink and a chat, the food was fantastic (special thanks to Dimitri of course for our meal on the last night - it was superb!), your waiters are absolute angels (my utterly terrible memory has failed me again and I cant remember their names!?) and we just loved everything about The Old Tavern!

For all those lucky sods who are away out to Hanioti this week, you will have a fantastic time!! It is very hot though, it was over 40c most days when we were there, for a wee scots lass like me it was a bit too much some days and I headed towards the safety of the pool bar for shade yawning smiley)

To Gail, who put a message on this board earlier, it would have been nice to see you out there when we were out as we didnt hear another Scottish voice for the whole week!! Especially another Northern one... hope you have a fab time yawning smiley)

To anyone who is going to be staying at the Hotel Roupel (where we stayed) then i'll put more info onto one of this holidaysuncovered websites, but i'll say this about it - the accomodation is basic, but very very clean. Our room was cleaned daily (apart from sunday I think), the bed linen, towels etc were spotless. The swimming pool is fantastic, the staff were so friendly and the pool bar is brilliant. If you want somewhere to stay to just sleep, have an afternoon nap (like me!) and a shower then its perfect! We were worried about staying here as we couldnt find out any information about it, but it was great. I took a few piccies so i'll scan them and upload them to the net once ive had them developed so you can get a glimpse of what to expect.

Oh, and one last thing - anyone going with Golden Sun and who attends the welcome meeting at the place next door to The Old Tavern, please harrass the rep as much as possible about moving the welcome meetings to Amanda + Dimitris place as it is much nicer - Ta! yawning smiley)

Keep in touch Amanda, email addy is aimz_lou@yahoo.co.uk

Double-cheek kisses to all! xxx
puddleduck
August 26, 2003 10:45AM
Hi Amanda, did you manage to get Sky in OK?
Did you find out if you can get F1?
As there is a race on the 14th of September, if you're showing it we'll be there!

Dawn & Marcus
Aimee
August 26, 2003 11:54AM
Dawn & Marcus,

Just want to say good luck in your search for the Italian GP on the 14th, its nice to know there are such dedicated fans out there! Thankfully we got home in time for the Hungarian GP, but if not we would have been out searching too!

Amanda - get them F1 please please please yawning smiley)
There is a sky channel called RTE or something which shows the races, not sure if you can get it in Greece though? Also - did you enjoy the circus?

Aimee
mark, family @ friends
August 26, 2003 02:29PM
only just over 3 week to go now before we invade ya , cant wait
amanda
August 26, 2003 03:31PM
Aimee - thank you for your lovely words - I will be in touch on your email!
ps - the circus was great - Jade esp loved the tigers and lions!

Dawn and Marcus - bear with me xxxxx

Mark and family - looking forward to meeting you - the weather is holding out for you - trust me - its boiling!!
puddleduck
August 27, 2003 10:03AM
Thanks Aimee, we go to Silverstone every year. This is always one my first questions when visiting somewhere!

Amanda, thanks for beeing so understanding. I know it must feel like you get some really strange questions! I have just posted a new thread, as reading on here it seems that ATMs often run out of money. Do you happen to know if debit cards are widely accepted in Restaurants/tavernas?

Thanks
Dawn
amanda
August 27, 2003 03:44PM
Dawn

There are 3 ATM machines in Hanioti and now most of the Greeks have gone back to work - you will find all the ATM machines will prob work! Either way - most restaurants should accept most cards - but hey - I guarantee we accept Visa and Mastercard!!!!
Always check with the restaurant first - just in case!!

Hope this helps!!

Cheers
Amanda
Keith Mac
August 28, 2003 07:51AM
Hi Amanda

I think it is really great that you reply to all the queries that you receive, you must be a busy couple and yet you take time out to help people, that says a lot about you and hubby, I have had a large pub myself once and know how hard it can get and how the long hours can catch up on you.

We went to Greece for the first time in May and loved it, we stayed in the Alkion Hotel in Kriopiggi and it was an excellent hotel.
We thought Kriopiggi was really nice and the Greek people extremely friendly, the only thing was there were only 3 main pubs in Kriopiggi which we found a bit restrictive as we are only young (46 and 41 "LOL"winking smiley and wanted more night life, However, we had some brilliant nights in all 3 pubs.

We took a taxi to Hanioti one day, spent the day there and had a lovely meal, and said if we go back to Halkidiki then it will definately be Hanioti, as there seems to be more choice of resturants and nightlife there, plus the beach is really picturesque.

After we told our 2 teenage kids about the great time myself and Sue had in Halkidiki and that we would definately be going back there, they demanded that they go with us when we go back, hence, the 4 of us will be staying at the Sarantis Studios & Apartments for a week from 3rd of September, Do you know what the Sarantis is like ? and is it anywhere near you pub ?

I am not bothered if it is scorching hot or not as i find that you do not get a suntan in the pub anyway "LOL" but i hope it is nice and sunny as my wife Sue is a bit of a sun worshipper.

Anyway, let us know were about The Old Tavern is in Hanioti and we will definately call in to say hello and probably have a drink or three, or four, or five, or ----- LOL.

See You Soon

Keith and Sue
amanda
August 28, 2003 09:34AM
Keith and Sue

What a lovely email - thank you!

Im glad you had a nice time and thank god you discovered Hanioti on your last hol! You will love it here - so many bars and restaurants (although feel free to visit mine every night!!!!)

Ive heard varied comments about Sarantis so I think if you just use it as a base with the intention of going out every day/night then you will be ok!! Please let me know otherwise - I am basing on other peoples comments!

When you come out of Sarantis - you will be on the main road - walk along - past the KAOil garage (right next to you) and past Matsoutis supermarket (huge one on main road) - take the next road on the left. You will come to a crossroads so bear right and at the next crossroads - look straight down the road and you will see us directly in front of you! We are little way off the Square - but well worth a visit - i promise!
Sounds miles- but only a 10 min walk from Sarantis!

It rained yesterday but back to hot and sunny today (good news eh Sue!!)! There is plenty here so if you want to know about anything - either email or ask when you come in!
Look forward to meeting you - see you next week!!!

Cheers
Amanda
kris
August 28, 2003 12:48PM
very,very expensive,STAY IN THE SQUARE or go to the horseshoe bar or life bar!!!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.