The Old Tavern, Hanioti

The Old Tavern, Hanioti

Posted by Amanda 
Cat
Re: The Old Tavern, Hanioti
August 28, 2003 01:21PM
My boyfriend and I fly out on Sept 11th. Really looking forward to it. What is the weather normally like in mid Sept? Are the evenings much cooler than Aug? We are staying at the Angelo and will definitely come to the old tavern. What greek specialities do you serve?

Best wishes

Cat
Eileen
August 28, 2003 09:42PM
Kris

What are you talking about? Food and drinks were no dearer in the Old Tavern than anywhere else. I would even say that the food was cheaper but not only that the food is wonderfully cooked, tasted wonderful and the service fromt he staff absolutely the best!!

Eileen
kris
August 28, 2003 10:16PM
hi,opinions are allowed!!!drinks were expensive,for many british food is the last thing they want on hols.steak & kid pie i can get at home!!
Keith Mac
August 29, 2003 03:29AM
Hi Amanda

Thanks for the reply.

We will definately come and see you next week.

Sorry to bother you again, but could you tell us the exchange rate at the moment from the pound to the euro, last time we were there it was 134 euros to 100 pounds, even though the official rate in the papers and on the net stated 141.

I ask because we are wondering if we would be better changing most of our money in england, if the rate is better ?

Could you please advise.

Thanks again.

See you next week.

Keith and Sue
Jennifer
August 29, 2003 08:53AM
Kris

Maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself!!!!! Most british people actually prefer to eat british food when on holiday! They have to cater for everyone not just the individuals!!!!!

Jennifer
puddleduck
August 29, 2003 09:03AM
Hi, reading this thread on food is interesting.

I can't wait to visit the Old Tavern and sample some food when we fly out next week as everyone sounds so friendly.

However, I have to agree with Kris. Personally, I love trying the dishes of the country I'm visiting. I can get english food at home anytime and to me local food is all part of the experience. Some people feel comforted by having familar food - me, as long as no-one had died from it, I'll try anything!!!

We are all entitled to an oppinion, doesn't mean we have to agree. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree.

Dawn.
Jeff
August 29, 2003 10:12AM
I also agree with some of these comments

However, I have also been to The Old Tavern and found that the menu was very very good, with a combination of Greek, English and other dishes. As I have said on previous mails, If you get the Flambe'd steak, Dimitri cooks it right in front of you on a portable cooker, there are flames everywhere, It looks fantastic and you certainly wouldn't get steak cooked in this way at home. The quality of the food here was brilliant and was also a lot cheaper than taverna's in the main square. The drinks were also averagely priced. I will also say that the atmosphere, surrounding and general layout of The Old Tavern are far and away better than the Horseshoe and Lifes which are after all really just bars overlooking the tatty waste ground full of dogs.

This is only my personal opinion.

Jeff
kris
August 29, 2003 04:08PM
hi,in 2 weeks we saw 2 dogs while sitting in life bar and the horseshoe.both bars were full late every night,obviously lots of people like watching dogs!!! or maybe the excellent atmosphere had something to do with it!!
mark, family @ friends
August 29, 2003 06:21PM
i know what im going to sit and watch , MY PINT POT OF BEER KEEP GETTING EMPTY AND FULL he he he ,and personally im not bothered what i eat as long as its nice cooked good food , and as for atmosphere and a holiday ya can make that yourself . LETS HAVE FUN
Rosemary
August 29, 2003 09:58PM
Jennifer, you were very abrupt to Kris's posting. Why should he keep his opinions to himself? I totally disagree with you when you say most British people like to eat British food on holiday. I would most definatly go for the local restaurant as my first choice, as I can eat British food all the year round. I will however visit the Old Tavern and support their business at some point of my holiday, and I respect everyone's opinion, whether it is positive or not. After all, each judges for themselves. Do you have a vested interest in the Old Tavern and maybe that's why you were so rude?
kris
August 29, 2003 10:09PM
hi,we as a group went on a glorified pub crawl every night,the choice in hanioti is unbelievable,each place a differant experience.my point was exactly that,try everywhere,do not get sucked into the hyped-up free publicity surrounding the old tavern,very nice place,but not for everyone!!
amanda
August 30, 2003 03:55PM
Having not been on email for 2 days - I am very suprised at all the various comments made!

Thank you to those who have been and enjoyed themselves in our pub - and Im sorry to those that didnt !

There are pubs and prices that cater for everyone - and you always pay for what you get.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions - and to set the record straight Jeff was right, we do English, Greek and other international cuisine - there is more on the menu than Steak and Kidney pie!
We cook Greek food to order and as yet have not had any complaints.

I would like to make one comment to Kris - this so called "hyped up free publicity" is a thread conversation I began to introduce MY pub to people who may be interested in visiting when they come to Hanioti. I will advertise my pub in any way I see fit and therefore whilst I appreciate it may not be to your personal liking, I do not stop any other business in their choice of advertising - so I will continue to respond to questions and welcome those people who have visited and will visit in the future!

Mark - We look forward to filling your pints up when you come over - and we have lots of fun!

Cat - the weather is Sept is usually really nice - not overly hot but comfortable and the evenings are pleasantly cooler! As for Greek specialities - we will cook whatever dish you would like to try! Do you have any favourites?

Keith - will find out the exchange rate tonight and email you when I get home so you will have the latest deal!

Dawn - we look forward to serving you our greek specialities!!

Rosemary - I look forward to seeing you at some point of your holiday!

So all in all - I hope that clears up some concerns and for those of you that are soon to visit this very famous of mine - please make sure you introduce yourself as it'll be nice to see you!

Aimee - email on its way tonight - sorry for delay!

Cheers
Amanda
kris
August 30, 2003 04:33PM
there are those i spoke to whilst in hanioti who felt the same as me and it is our right to use this message board to paint the picture as we saw it.i also accept that people will make there own minds up.by continuing to use this thread i am helping in this publicity thing.this shall be my last comment on this.if anyone wants anymore info please e-mail me at kris_481@hotmail.com.long live the horseshoe bar,lifes bar & prime bar!!
andy
August 30, 2003 08:51PM
Hi Amanda, we will be flying out this coming monday, looking forward to visiting your Tavern at some stage as i have read so much about it over the last month.
amanda
August 30, 2003 09:16PM
Andy - we look forward to seeing you!

Cheers
Amanda
Daniel
August 30, 2003 09:27PM
Hi Amanda

We are coming over this Wednesday (3rd) and I was wondering how the weather has been. As you seem to be the oracle of this entie website I thought you would probably do a better job than the BBC!!!! I have heard the weather has turned bad, I just hope its better than the cold over here!! Look forward to visiting you bar next week, we will definatley drop in and say hello and a big thankyou for keeping everyone up to date on whats what over there

Cheers Dan and Shell
amanda
August 30, 2003 09:48PM
Hi there Dan and Shell

Tee hee - that made me laugh! The weather is fab -particularly hot today - too hot! We had one overcast day a few days ago and the following morning - back to the usual blue!!

I try to help if I can - I used to work for computer companies before I came to Greece - hence my passion for the pc - sad but true!
If i see another conversation and I can help - I will!

When I come to Uk for Xmas - I may do the same and hope someone over there can update me for a change!

Be great to see you - We already had visits this week for 3 different parties due to these conversations and its great to meet up!

Cheers
Amanda
Craig.
August 31, 2003 05:48PM
were here. the place is amazing. we may come and see u. hiring a car tomorrow. couldnt make it for the match.\\Craig and Kim.
Keith Mac
August 31, 2003 09:12PM
Hi Amanda

Sorry to bother you again, but did you find out what the Euro exchange rate is to the pound ?

We are going to change most of our money tomorrow, if the exchange rate is better here than in Hanioti.

Only 3 days to go "Yippee"

See you soon

Keith and Sue
Rosemary
August 31, 2003 09:58PM
This has been a very interesting thread and judging by the number of replies, its been a successful one too. I'm on the countdown to my hols, (just over 2 weeks) and "Ah Cannae wait" as we say here in Scotland.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.