bird flu

bird flu

Posted by Erik 
Erik
bird flu
January 10, 2006 09:06PM
The bird flu comes very fast towards the borders of Europe now, with the new cases in Istanbul.
Greece is the first neighbour country, and Makedonia/Halkidiki has to watch out.
Are there special alerts or instructions to prevent the illness?
Is the touristic business afraid?
Melina
Re: bird flu
January 24, 2006 05:53PM
In this regard I would like to say something. I have seen many persons who are of the opinion that the bird flu disease is limited to the avian family only and all this hue and cry of the health organizations which are asking people to get safeguarded are deemed to them as a hoax, but there have been confirmed cases of human-human contamination and which has led to death too, further information regarding this can also be found where vital data is present regarding the one and only remedy the @#$%& drug at [www.drugdelivery.ca], so all these people should check these reports to believe.
Erik
February 11, 2006 06:24PM
Today again on (belgian) television: the dead swans and birds in Greece, in the neighbourhoud of Thessaloniki, had the H5N1 virus.
The Ministry of Foreign affairs in Belgium tells that tourists have to be cautious for coming in contact with birds, chicken,...

How are Greek authorities looking for that? And the tourist industry?
February 11, 2006 07:48PM
I'm in daily contact with my Greek friends who have not informed me of a problem regarding bird flu! I'll still be going there on my holidays.Birds fly,what can the authorities do about it?NOTHING!I've never been in contact with birds over there & i don't eat chicken when i'm over there anyway,i think so long as people use common sense then there shouldn't be a problem,i'm sure we will all be informed if it becomes unsafe to go there & the moderator of this site would i'm sure put a notice up on the site if it became a major problem.so until then HAPPY HOLIDAYS in Halkidiki everyone!

smiling smiley
Jane
February 12, 2006 04:29PM
Why are you so interested in Greece and the bird flu Erik? Do you live there? I agree with Kerry. I am in regular contact with my Greek friends and I am sure we will be informed by them, or BY THE NEWS MEDIA if it becomes unsafe to go there. Unless there is a specific ban or warning not to go to Greece or any other country, I will be going. Happy Holidays in Halkidiki to all.
Erik
February 12, 2006 05:40PM
I live in Belgium, and I am interested in this item only in order to be informed. The last years I had to cancell a few booked holidays. One holiday was in Egypt, very close to the place where there have been bomb attacks. Another holiday was in the Alps where there had been heavy floodings and strongly bad weather.
For that reason, I (and especially my wife) was a but feared for a third cancellation...
For the rest we love Greece so very much, and we hope to have phantastic holidays in Halkidiki in the month of May (in fact I am sure of it :-)).
Jane
February 12, 2006 06:00PM
Oh, so that is why you are so interested Erik! I am sure you will be fine. We have been going there 30 years. The wild fowl lakes, which are a tourist attraction but may have to be avoided, are north east of Thessaloniki and nowhere near to Halkidiki.

From all my years there I cant remember seeing any wild ducks or similar around the peninsula. Obviously there are chickens, generally just a few kept by familes. So if the worst came to the worst, I would just avoid eating chicken (and eggs?) for my holiday. No big deal, as there are some wonderful foods to eat anyway.

All the best for a good holiday. We go in June, so you will already have been and gone home by the time we get there. I am sure you will be fine, dont worry.
February 12, 2006 06:45PM
Heard on the radio that bird flu is now in Italy,Greece & Bulgaria.....nobody as yet has said not to visit those countries so until they do i'm still going.............actualy still going even if they tell me not to!!!!!!!x

smiling smiley
Erik
February 13, 2006 06:13PM
Thanks to all of you, but especially for Jane: thank you for your kind words.
We come back from Halkidiki on 3rd of June.
I shall write our experiences from Halkidiki here on the forum, before you leave. So that you can see how we enjoyed it.
I can hardly wait!!!
Jane
February 13, 2006 06:58PM
OK Erik, look forward to your post. I am sure you will enjoy it. Where are you staying and do you want any hints on where to go and see, and eat etc. Or do you want to take is as it comes. If you want any info, please ask. After 30 years of going there I think we are pretty up on most info, but only on Kassandra peninsula. We have only visited Sithonia a few times.

We go 15 June, and I can hardly wait too !!
Erik
February 13, 2006 07:42PM
We shall stay one week in hotel Kassandra Palace, in Kriopigi. From there, we want to make excursions on Kassandra, Sithonia, Thessaloniki, and also a boat excursion to Athos.
So, if you have an idea of that hotel, or hints about Kriopigi and neighbouring good places,... thanks in advance for your reactions.
Jane
February 13, 2006 11:01PM
Hi Erik. Well, I have not stopped at Kassandra Palace, but I know where it is. You need to walk into Kriopigi (15 mins estimate) or get a taxi (better option!). In Kriopigi I have to mention our Greek friends Morfy and Sakis and The Sweet Coffee Shop. They will welcome you and are so friendly and helpful. They also serve excellent crepes, savoury and sweet, and sandwiches, snacks and coffees/tea/alcohol. Please say hello from Jane and Martyn until 15 June ! At Kriopigi there is the old village square which has two tavernas. One is owned by Morfys brother and is called Anthoulas. It is nice to go up to the old square and by one route you pass the cold springs where the locals get fresh spring water Ithe name Kriopigi means cold spring).

There are a few shops and various tavernas and bars along the main road, Kriopigi is set on the main road. In May there should be no problem, later in the year like August the road is very busy and noisy.

The main beach pigadakia is nice and sandy and again in May should be relatively sparse of tourists.

Now I will tell you where we like to eat. You may need a car or bike to get to some of these, or a taxi if you are only there for a week.

Firstly, try Villa Stassa at Loutra. Right at the end of the peninsula, a nice Greek taverna which is not visited by lots of European tourists, mainly Greeks and those in the know. The views from the taverna across the sea are excellent, and the food is good too, large portions and reasonable prices.

Secondly, at Palliori. We eat at any of the main tavernas, it is really just the peace and quiet of an old Greek village we like. Not many tourists and in May probably not many people at all, but a real trip into the old Greek village world.

Hanioti. If you like beer try the Beer House, Zythion. Not cheap, but lots of choice and a good place to people watch.

Nea Skioni. A nice fishing village. We used to live very near here and it is a lovely Greek village. A few nice friendly supermarkets, a fishmonger right near the sea, and try Anenome on the front, with tables set out on the pavement near the beach. They also have sun beds which are free as long as you buy a drink or something from them when you need it, but no pressure.

Kallithea. We are not too keen on Kallithea any more as it has become so large and very expensive, with expensive bars and gold shops. However, next to the supermarket Masoutis, there is a nice taverna which opened last year. Very friendly, good food and reasonable prices. They are very eager to please.

Pefkohori. We like the beach here, especially in May and early June as it is not too busy. Only a thin strip of sand in the middle, but at each end there are larger expanses. The road alongside the long beach is full of bars, tavernas and shops. None to particularly recommend, but we have not had any problems at any of them either. Just off the main road is a nice Greek taverna called Hercules. A bit expensive nowadays, but the food is generally very good. We often go for a drink at the Hotel Diana, Diana Bar. We have never stayed there but know the owner and we always call in for a drink several times a week. He is so friendly and helpful, Vassilis or Billy in English.

Sani. If you go down the long road to Sani, you need a hire car. The public beach is very nice, although since two years they have now got lots of sunbeds and a bar there, we preferred it when it was just a beach. But very sandy, clear sea and very shallow. Also drive around the area and see the lovely houses, we want one !

Thats quite a lot to see in a week, but do try to get to Thessaloniki. Dont be put off by the seafront which is just a lot of cafes, nice though some are. Try to get to Alexandros Square. Lovely square, and just off it is a market. Fish market selling all sorts of fresh fish, meat market, vegetables, and a lovely taverna in the market called Smyrnos. Typical old Greek style, all food is on show and it is really nice. Not posh, but very nice and very friendly owner. The market also sells herbs, fruit, bits and bobs like corks for bottles ! olive oil, Greek brandy etc.

There are some lovely shops in Thessaloniki. Some expensive and some average. But you have to go and have a walk around and see them all. Too many tourists get off thetour bus, go along the waterfront, have a coffee and see one expensive shop and give up. Try a good walk around, and in May hopefully it will not be too hot.

Also in Thessaloniki you can go up to the old town which is very intersting. There is also a good Archeological musuem, the White Tower and various other historical attractions.

If you were going for longer I would recommend a trip to Vergina a marvellous museum built into the landscape which houses Philip of Macedonias tomb. Excellent, but a bit too far to go if you are only there for a short time.

I think that is it for now. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

For the mosquitoes, try Johnsons OFF available in most supermarkets.

Try to visit the market at Kassandriea (Wed I THINK) or Nea Moudania (Thursday I THINK) but check days as my memory may be playing me up.

Bye for now
Jane
Jane
February 14, 2006 08:55AM
The square in Thessaloniki is Aristotles, not Alexander. Sorry ! But do try to go there, it is lovely. There is also a great delicattesen type shop near the market selling all sorts of different things. They also sell Greek saffron, at a good price and Greek saffron is supposed to be one of the best in the world. It makes great presents for people who like cooking.

Bye again
Jane
Erik
February 14, 2006 09:31PM
Dear Jane, you are so kind to give me all this information. Thanks a lot. I'm printing out your messages, and I will take them with our travel to Halkidiki.
If possible we shall try the crepes from your friends Morfy and Sakis, and say them hello from you. And we shall also visit the other places. Surely we are going to rent a car, to see as much as possible of the whole region.
And I am sure of it: a travel to Greece can only be positive. We have already seen so many other greek regions and islands (all of them with their own character), and each time we liked it very much.
Thanks again!!!!!!
:-)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.