Kriopigi information

Kriopigi information

Posted by John and family 
debbie
Re: Kriopigi information
July 03, 2005 02:34PM
hi kerry,hope you are having a wonderful time in kriopigi watch out for the double vodka's in the casablanca they are big....... and you have lots of steps to go up ...well sweetie pies just testing. have to now as ive got people to see .
Kerry
July 03, 2005 04:00PM
Hi Debs!Had an experience or 2 with the double vodkas already haha,that husband of yours is going to get me into trouble!!!!!!!!! smiling smiley
debbie
July 04, 2005 09:59AM
Hi John and family, kriopigi is a beautiful village very friendly greek people who love children and will take good care to make them feel at home. I'm sure that you will find plenty to do to keep all the family happy . Googlers cafe Bar... has a bouncy castle for your 4year old ;internet and games for teens you will find lots of places to eat , drink in the village too. there is afree mini bus that travels back and fore the beach during the day plus a train from hotel kriopigi for a small fee car hire probably would be a good idea to get around and see the sights too. there are many good beaches which are only accessable by car . hope iv'e been a help ..
John and family
July 05, 2005 09:46AM
thanks for the reply debbie
much appreciated

another question :-
are mosquitos a problem in this area at the end of August?
lyn
July 06, 2005 07:26AM
hi Kerry
going to Kriopigi on 14th July (yippee) and staying at the Alkion, cant wait! have you any info on tours etc and places to vist,
Would be really gratefull
lyn
Kerry
July 06, 2005 04:38PM
Lyn
Usual things.....Mt Athos,Petralona caves,Thessaloniki shopping & sights,waterworld(if your rep is offering it)Other resorts are worth a visit....Kalithea & Hanioti are good,Afitos is very small & pretty & i visited Nea Moudania for the first time today & it's a lovely place & the Wed market is good for the odd bargain or 2 but if you just want to relax & take it easy then Kriopigi is perfect.Go to Akropolis for breakfast(it's big & lovely)& main meals are very good portions & good prices & the Greek night on Saturday is good fun.....plate smashing & everything!!!!Go to Casablanca bar to keep Ant & Jamie busy haha & relax with a drink or 10 & visit Googlers bar to keep tabs on your e-mails & sit in the lovely open air bar & have one of the special cocktails(trust me.....any more than 1 & you're in trouble!!!!!!!Had 1 last night & it made me stay up til 5.30 hahaha.
lyn
July 07, 2005 09:14AM
Thanks Kerry,
Never been to greece before (only 7 days to go and counting) cant wait, just got out of hospital so the holiday will be a chance to recover and as you have said Kriopigi is fairly quiet, but not too far if lm up to it, got a feeling the cocktails will help me recover haha.

Sounds like you are there now! if possible can you give me a idea on the weather, hopefully its hot !

AGAIN MANY THANKS TO YOU
Lyn
Kerry
July 10, 2005 02:06PM
Hi Lyn,yes i am here now,i leave as you arrive,weather is very very hot,even the locals have been complaining it's too hot.Have been visiting other areas of Halkidiki as it's been too hot for the beach some days.Went to Kalithea last night,traffic was horrendous but it's usually only that busy at weekends,during the week taxi's are easy to get hold of & i certainly wouldn't recommend driving at the weekend here just in case you were thinking of hiring a car.Oh bring lots of mosquito spray too as they've been very evil this year haha.Have a fab holiday.x
lyn
July 11, 2005 09:26AM
Thanks again Kerry.

Sounds like its going to be a "scorcher" of a holiday, especially if the locals are complaining.
Thanks for the advice with the car hire, was thinking of hiring a car for 1 or 2 days just to explore, like the sound of little off the beaten track villages to find and visit.
Thanks for the warning of the mosquito's, the other half always gets attacked, and has a really bad reaction with the bites, even in this country, he has to go to doctors and have time off work , just for one bite, (l tell him they only go for stale meat) lol so fingers crossed
Thanks for all your help on the info and l hope youve had a great holiday, (3 days and l cant wait)
THANKS
Lyn
Emma
July 14, 2005 09:28AM
hi, me and my sister, niece and nephew are staying at the Kassandra Palace on for two weeks from july 27th.

I was wondering if there were any markets nearby selling leather clothes, fruit etc?

thanks for your help!
debbie
July 14, 2005 04:37PM
Hi Emma ,there is a tuesday market in the village kassandria you can catch the bus outside the hotel about 9.30 ,its on until 13.30 very good for bargins clothes shoes bags ,but cant say ive seen any leather sorry . wednesday theres a market in a small town called Nea moudania its much bigger and has a lovely sea front with cafe bars tavernas to rest up after a busy shop , yet again bus stops outside check with the desk for times ...i havent seen any reps from that hotel yet but last year they did do trips to the market / caves on a (wed) if ican ill check that out if she comes in ...i will let you know . I run a internet cafe in the village called Googlers so if you need to get your e-mail pop in ,or if you need to know anything eles before you come- ill try to help.. debbie
rach
weather in kriopigi in late september early october
July 15, 2005 05:12PM
Hi i'm looking to book a holiday and love the look of kriopigi in halkidiki but I don't know what the weather is like there in late september early october and if anything will still be open.
If any one can give some advice I would very much appreciate it.

many thanks RACH HUDSON
Kerry
Re: weather in kriopigi in late september early october
July 15, 2005 05:37PM
Weather is changeable at that time,still warm enough to get a tan but goes cooler at night with possibility of rain,mind you saying that,i arrived home yesterday & left a horrendous storm behing,odd for this time of year but much needed as it was too hot before,even locals were sweating haha.Most places should still be open,there might be one or two little places closed,not too sure as when i've worked there i've always come home just before the end of September.I'm sure everything will still be up & running though but if you're not sure whether to risk it then i'd suggest one of the slightly busier resorts.Hope that helps a bit.
Jane
July 16, 2005 12:24PM
Hi John and Family, update as requested, sorry it has taken me four days to get back into the swing of life back home !

In Kriopigi half a litre of Amstel ranges from 1.7 to 2 Euros. Bacardi/spirit and mixer is around 3.5 to 4 euros, but is a huge measure.

In the supermarkets we found milk and butter to be very expensive, although we dont usually eat much butter in Greece as the bread is so tasty. Bread from the bakeries is quite cheap, but we only bought from the bakery in Kallithea, but there a largish seeded loaf was 75 cents, and a large crispy roll was 25 cents.

Newspapers are a standard 2.,5 euros which is dictated by the importing newspaper company.

Food, well gyros is a good cheap buy anywhere, usually around 2 euros and very filling as a snack. In Hanioti you can get gyros plate which is lots of the meat (and it is not like our kebab meat, it is proper thin sliced meat, either chicken or pork usually) plus chips and salad and bread for 4 euros and we actually got a half litre of Amstel for 95 cents!

There were only two of us, and we usually eat at Greek frequented places rather than tourist oriented places, which you should try to do as the prices are much better. A Greek salad (toms, cuc, onion, olives, feta chees and sometimes even egg,) is around 4 euros and is a good size. Tomato and cucumer salad which usually has onion too is around 2 euros. If you go Greek (I dont know if you have been to Greece before?so sorry if I am preaching to the converted) get a selection of dishes and share. The more of you there are in the party, the more you can try loads of different things! Chicken souvlaki, chunks of chicken on a skewer, is around 2-3 euros and comes with chips and/or rice and salad.

Fruit is not as cheap as it once was, but much cheapr than the UK. On a trip out one day we got a kilo of cherries for 3 euros. Galia melon, around 60-75p in UK money, but a good sized one for that (I think it was 80 cents a kilo). Loads of nectarines, peaches etc.

Fuel although cheaper than the UK is much more expensive than it used to be. 99cents roughly a litre, and diesel is now not much cheaper than unleaded (although you wont get a diesel hire car as diesel cars are usually only allowed for taxis and businesses, or at least it was when we lived there).

Not sure if I have answered what you need to know, so please feel free to ask me some questions if I havent.

Have a good holiday.

Jane
Emma
July 17, 2005 07:06PM
thanks so much debbie!
John and family
July 18, 2005 09:58AM
hi Jane
thanks for all the info
glad you had a good holiday ..... bummer goin back to work isnt it
just a couple of things really
did you have any trouble with mozzi's there ?
and what restaurants would you recommend
need to entertain kids a night
cheers
John
nick
kettles
July 21, 2005 08:59PM
hi, we are booked in at the alkion in august .after reading all your info i'm confident we've made the right choice but could anyone tell me whether there are kettles in the rooms please.

many thanks nick ( greece lover)
Jane
Re: kettles
July 21, 2005 09:52PM
Hi John

Mozzies were a real problem this year ! We used the usual Johnson OFF, but had to resort to local ones too, but we still got bitten to pieces on and off, sorry ! This year was particularly bad, havent been bitten so many times ever before.

Restaurants, tavernas. Well obviously I am going to mention our Greek Friends Morfy and Sakis, their place the Sweet Coffee Shop in Kriopigi is a lovely place. Nice and relaxing, crepes savoury and sweet, toasties (huge bap type), club sandwich and much more, and very reasonable prices. Say hello from Jane and Martyn please !

Apart from that we usually eat at places we found when we lived there longer term, which may mean you need to hire a car, but I would consider Kriopigi cars for a hire car for at least a few days so you can see the whole peninsula. i.e. At Loutra (far end), Villa Stassa is a lovely Greek taverna, with marvellous views and great food at good prices. Then there is Nea Skioni, a lovely fishing village, again at the far end. Reasonably sandy beach and free beds and brollies in exchange for you having a drink or two! Anemone, Yannis, is nice, cheap and cheerful. We usually had a tuna salad or similar and a couple of beers there, and the frappe is lovely.

At Paliori, which is quite a way on, past Pefkohori, eat at any of the tavernas in or near the village square (by village square, I mean a paved area only !). It is a lovely quiet Greek village, not touristy at all, but the food and drink is again very reasonable.

A new one to us was in Kallithea. We dont particularly like Kallithea as it is very expensive and touristy, but our friends uncles apartment was there, so we were too ! We avoided Kallithea itself like the plague, but we did eat downstairs. Cant remember the name, but it is just before Masoutis supermarket on the left, on way out of town towards airport. Lovely food, lovely staff and again reasonable. Try their pilaf thallason (seafood pilaf) it was gorgeous and only 7 euros (enough for two). The mixed grill there was good too, Greek village sausage, meatball, lamb, pork +++ chips, salad and that was 8 euros and was a good sized meal.

If the kids like Pizza there is a brilliant place in Fourka, but I cant remember the name even though we always go for one pizza per holiday ! There is a sort of grassed area semi circle, with a road around it, and if you look towards the sea the restaurant is on the right. Sorry not much good at directions.

As for giros, well we like Fast Food Niki at Kallithea ! but there are good giros almost anywhere.

Another nice place to visit is Siviris. Nice beach that is not too packed even though very narrow . Go down road to village, at bottom (wher eyou can see the jetty ahead) turn left then right, right and along beach road. I also had a good giros here (to the right of the road).

There are so many places to see and recommend, I find it difficult to remember them all. Oh, the Beer House in Hanioti is nice if you like different beers, and it has quite reasonable food, and there is plenty for kids to do.

Sorry about the kids aspect, we dont have any. But I have tried to remember places where they will find something to do to.

If you want any more help, let me know. Have a great time. Cant believe we have only been back just over a week, seems a lifetime away!
John & family
Re: kettles
July 28, 2005 09:54AM
thanks for your time Jane
looking forward to the sunnier climate at the end of august

John & family
EMMA
Kassandra Bay Hotel
July 28, 2005 03:29PM
Hi,

I read that you were going to the Kassandra Bay Hotel - have you been yet? If you have what is it like?

i am planning on going there in September for 2 weeks, half board?

Is it a nice hotel and what's the food like? I'm a veggie so am a bit worried that they don't offer much choice (from what i've read in some other reviews). Also what are the pubs like in Kriopigi and did you go to some of the other resorts near by like Kalithea?

Would you go back there again?

Hope you can help = Many thanks

EMMA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login