Afitos

Afitos

Posted by Kirsty 
Kirsty
Afitos
April 05, 2005 12:51PM
Hello,

I'm thinking of visiting Afitos this year having previously visited 4 times in 2000-2001 (serious crush on a waiter led to many Greek holidays!). I'm in serious need of some relaxation (in a moment of madness I moved to an area which contains all the worst local pubs and clubs and have to get away from the drunks for a while). What I would really like to know is if Afitos has changed much in the last few years. I went in May & Sept before and it was just right, lively enough with Kalithea close by and trips to Thessaloniki but peaceful when I wanted it. Is this still the case? And does anyone know the To Perasma restaurant and the Katerina Studios opposite. Katerina was really kind to me as I was travelling on my own and used to invite me to eat with her family (I don't think I was the only one - I think she adopted wayward single British women!). Oula (not sure of the spelling) from To Perasma was lovely too and there were a couple of waiters - one called Christos and Vangelis (I think). Also George from the Harris restaurant who for some reason posted a jigsaw to me in England. Are they all still there? Does anyone know how Katerina's mum is as she wasn't very well last time I saw her.

Looking forward to hearing any gossip.

Kirsty
Kezzybabes
Re: Afitos
April 05, 2005 01:30PM
Afitos doesn't seem to have changed too much,there was quite a bit of building work going on last time i was there,looked like appartments but it was mainly near the main road.You needn't worry about the center of Afitos changing much as there's a preservation order on the village so i should think that apart from a few little changes you should find it as you left it!Hard to say if the waiters will still be there as a lot of them don't live in the resorts they work in all year & they have a habit of moving round a bit but any family owned places should still be there!What was George from the Harris restaurants surname?Sorry can't help you more but there are some Halkidiki locals read this so they might be able to help more but all in all i still think Afitos is the perfect resort for a quiet,relaxing break(closely followed by Kriopigi)x
Kirsty
April 05, 2005 01:51PM
Hi there,

Sorry, can't remember George's surname, I think I still have his phone number somewhere though I've never used it... There was a younger boy there too who'd just left school. He used to find the ginger cat who lived there for me to stroke whenever I went for lunch (sad single 30 something with book and borrowed cat for company!) I also have a copy of the bill from To Perasma which Christos the Waiter (in ladykiller mode!) sprayed with his aftershave on my last day in Afitos so that I could carry his scent with me! He was so popular with the ladies I could probably sell it on e-bay! I found it the other day which reminded me of how funny he was (sometimes unintentionally I think). Sadly the men where I live in the UK are more likely to spray you with the contents of their can of Special Brew...

I'm glad it hasn't changed too much as I loved having a wander round the village in between visits to other places. I thought Ouranopolis (forgive spelling) was lovely. We stopped off there during a boat trip round Mount Athos.

Feeling nostalgic now....have to go home and have some feta and olives and dream of Greece.
Kezzybabes
April 05, 2005 02:59PM
Ha ha i do that!Get all my pics n bits n bobs out now & again (still got a matchbox with a scorch, mark on it that i nicked off a dj i went out with in Kalithea when i was 15,now THAT'S sad as i'm now a 30something myself).I always go to Halkidiki on my own because i like to please myself when i get up,where i go etc & i have got friends there that i've made through working there.Yep i know what you mean about Brit blokes.....no romance,at least not the ones i've met anyway!!!!!
alexander Beck
Staying in Afitos
April 06, 2005 10:09AM
now that I've read about the Katerina Studios I just have to ask, are they good for a small family (2 adults and a 2 1/2 year old girl)?
if the studios are suitable, can you send me contact details (tel, email or fax)?
Kirsty
Re: Staying in Afitos
April 06, 2005 10:31AM

I'm not sure of the tel no or fax etc for the Katerina as I booked through a brochure (First Choice I think). As I was on my own the studio was just the right size for me but I believe there are family studios/apartments which are bigger. The studio I had was very basic (but I only really wanted a bed and bathroom..) and Katerina and her family are really nice. I also stayed at the Aloni which is just a little walk up the road which I booked through Just holidays. That was similar, clean and basic. The only thing that would concern me if I was travelling with young children is that the beach is a bit of a walk away and down a steep slope (although I guess if the little ones are in a pushchair they won't mind!) I think some of the apartments and hotels operate a free bus service in the busier months to the beach though. On the upside the beaches are clean and there isn't the element of 'drunken Brits abroad' so it's possible to actually get to know the place and the people.
Kirsty
April 06, 2005 10:40AM
He He...glad i'm not the only one.....I have so many odd bits and bobs collected from holidays. If I died suddenly people would wonder why I have old bus tickets and packets of sugar with hotel names on lovingly stored at my house. The sadder thing is that even though the places themselves were lovely each momento is usually a reminder of a Paco, Jean-Claude, Christos......

I must admit I prefer going on my own. The first time I went to Afitos was with a mate and by the end of the week we were barely speaking. She wanted 18-30, I wanted to get to know the locals and see the area properly. The worst bit was when she bought a waiter home. We shared a studio so it could have been really embarrassing. Luckily she was so drunk she fell asleep so no hanky panky. However I then had to get rid of the waiter who didn't want to go. By morning it was all round Afitos that we'd both slept with him!
Kezzybabes
April 06, 2005 04:21PM
Oh my god that sounds about right about the waiter hahaha!!!yeah yeah i've got the bus tickets,the restaurant bills,the sugars,the napkins,i've even got several of the paper napkin roses that the waiters n barmen make you from about 4yrs ago,was so desperate to bring them home i nicked a tupperware box of my old bosses haha!Going solo is so much better,i love my mates but honestly don't know if i could go on hols with most of them,city break is enough,long hols on my own thanks!!!When are you thinking of going?
Kirsty
April 07, 2005 08:44AM
I did want to go in May but have had to put that on hold. Probably won't be until September now. Seems like such a long time away. Mind you last time I went in the late season was when they had all that rain about 4 1/2 years ago and there were mud slides and everything. I was in the bar watching TV and these pictures came on showing cars being washed downhill & I just assumed it was some country miles away. Didn't realise it was the next peninsula!

Do you know if there's a place where people can post their photos from Halkidiki? I have some of the people I was asking about & maybe someone would recognise them.

Are you working in Halkidiki this summer?
Debs
April 07, 2005 09:19AM
You can post your photos on here www.halkidiki.com/photo-album/. There are already quite a few to look at.
Kirsty
April 07, 2005 10:52AM
Thanks Debs, I'll dig some out and post them on there.
Kezzybabes
April 07, 2005 10:58AM
I've got a few pics on there so would be fab to see yours!No not working there this yr,just holiday for 1st 2 wks of July.Yeah i remember that bad weather,pretty wierd coz you just expect Greece to be hot n sunny all the time but they've had a fair bit of snow this year which is something i'd love to see.Let us know when you've posted your pics,can't wait to have a nosey. smiling smiley
Kirsty
April 07, 2005 11:01AM
Hi Kezzybabes,

Lucky you...wish I was going on my hols in July. Especially as it seems to be getting colder again in the UK.

Have to borrow my nephew's scanner so once i've mastered that and posted the photos i'll let you know.
Michael
April 08, 2005 08:14PM
Hi Kezzy & Kirsty

We (local Brits) all going to Afitos tomorrow night to celebrate a birthday - and Kezz - it's getting warm here already. smiling smiley
They have a Archiological "Dig" on the edge of the village - the road that comes out on top of the hill, near the arials Kezz. Its the combined Uni's of Thessaloniki & Athens, and the find is a group of Speti's (houses) and Appotki's (sheds) that date from 500BC - Before Alexander and just before the Persian wars. People have been going to Afitos for Yonks, folks!
Kezz - now we know who has been nicking the containers - and 30 something??????????? Thought something-thirty! (Ducks very low)
Michael

ps. nip into the Horseshoe one night and you can buy me a beer - err....I can buy YOU a beer.............ummm...prefer first option. LOL
Kezzybabes
April 09, 2005 06:40PM
Hahahahaha you got yourself a deal Michael but tell you what.....i'll buy you one then you can buy me one n then we're equal (& it might just prevent you having to duck from a v large flying object lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)I'm sooooooooo not jealous that it's getting warm there already.........i mean who'd want warm when you can have snow like we've had for the last few days?!?!?Errrrrrrrrm me actualy haha!!Oooh the dig sounds fab n v interesting,can't wait to go have a nosey(there'll probably be a blinkin supermarket on it or something when i get there lol)!!!
Michael is Bar on the rocks owned by Mad Lenny still in Afitos?if it is i hope he's fixed those steps at the back.........tequila shots,wedge heels n those steps don't mix v well!!!!!
p.s........will return all containers asap!!!!! smiling smiley
Kezzybabes
April 09, 2005 06:43PM
Kirsty.....book a hol n me & you can go & terrorise Michael!!!!! smiling smiley
kirsty
April 11, 2005 09:09AM
Hi Michael and Kezzy,

Just a quick one (ooh er missus!) as I have a job interview this afternoon and have completely forgotten anything that i'm supposed to know. Will just have to tell myself that it's worth it as it'll be more money to spend on holidays. Although I hear that if I go to Afitos this year the drinks are on Michael (that's right isn't it Kezzy?) Hurrah for that!

My Mum loves all things to do with archaeology so maybe I should persuade her to go to Afitos. She could find herself a nice older man (who hopefully will have a son for me!)

Is there a large British community in Afitos? I met quite a few Brits who were staying for a few months and one man who lived there who I think used to be as pharmacist in the UK. Can't remember his name though. I remember he said he liked a drink but that could be anyone really...

better go, will try & put those photos on site this week. Just one question though...how do I do that? I can't find out how to on the website. (Or maybe i'm looking in wrong place!)
xx
Kezzybabes
April 11, 2005 07:35PM
Hi hope interview went o.k!Yep sounds like drinkies are on Michael but we have to go to Hanioti for those lol!!!!!If you persuade ur mum to go make sure she finds an older gent with TWO sons coz i want one please lol!!!!! smiling smileyNot sure about large Brit community in Afitos,just seems more Brits are making Halkidiki in general their home (lucky sods,not jealous hahaha)I know a few though,there used to be a clothes shop there called Susie's(or something)she was a Greek lady,v sweet & also had a little gift shop near the church! she had an English daughter in law called Sharon who i got on really well with but lost touch with her so she could be anywhere really!Right if you want to put photo's on i'm guessing that you've been looking at the photo album that's mentioned on the home page of this site,ignore that.you need to put the address Debs gives above into your search engine & it comes up with the new photo album & tells you exactly how to set one up,god hope that made sense!!!!! :/ lol there used to be a direct link to it on this page but it dissapeared & wasn't put back!x
P.S Michael's been bit quiet,you reckon he's recovering from that birthday still????????????? smiling smiley
kirsty
April 12, 2005 08:52AM
How's your head Michael......has the hangover gone yet? Hope you had a great time anyway.

The interview went well I think. I don't know if you watch 'The Apprentice' but at one stage I felt a bit like somone on that show. I had to come up with 6 new ideas about the product in 2 mins. Of course my brain went into meltdown and to make it worse there were planes flying over constantly on the way to Heathrow so I was having a Homer Simpson moment too. " Hmmmmm planes......" just thinking where all those lucky people had just been.

The gift shop near the church - if you were standing facing the church was it on the right hand side on the corner of a road? I used to talk to the girl there quite a lot but I can't remember her name. I know she was married to a Greek guy. I remember her telling me about the year it was so cold in early season that she was having to lend blankets and hot water bottles to people.

Thanks for the info about the photos. I have to get to my nephews to scan them ( I can't be trusted with a digital camera on holiday - a combination of drink and sunshine makes me lose stuff!- so I take disposable cameras) hopefully will get it done this week.
Kezzybabes
April 12, 2005 02:06PM
Hahahahaha had to laugh about the Homer Simpson bit soz!!!!!!!!!!i'm sure you'll have done fine though.Yeah yeah,that's the gift shop & sounds like that would've been Sharon,she's really nice & her husband's such a sweety too,nice to know she's still there,i'll pop & see her when i'm there.Oooh know what you mean about digital cameras,i can't be trusted with them (or phones,or keys or much at all really)when i'm on hols,i either leave them places,drop them or just have really stupid brainfarts where i just forget how stuff works(nothing to do with alcohol,honest guvnor!!!!!)Might risk taking my little digi cam this year though coz i take squillions of pics n it ends up costing me a fortune in film & developing otherwise,my mum can't understand how come i still manage to take so many pics after going there all these years.Can't wait to see pics. x
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login