Fire in Kassandra - YOUR REPORTS HERE - try to help other people

Fire in Kassandra - YOUR REPORTS HERE - try to help other people

Posted by Nikos 
Apostolos
Re: Fire in Kassandra - YOUR REPORTS HERE - try to help other people
September 10, 2006 09:20AM
Hi

Just some photos from my blog about the fire in Kassandra, all the events day by day from Skioni. It was a terrible experience.... but Halkidiki remains one of the most beautifull places in the world....

[fire-kassandra.spaces.live.com]

September 10, 2006 12:47PM
Thank you for the photos. My memories of the lovely forest between Skioni (where we lived) and Hanioti seem set to be lost for a while. What devastation to such a lovely area.

Anyway we are coming over November to see for ourselves and look for somewhere to rent next year.

Nice to see some actual photos though, puts it more into perspective and shows how bad it really was.

Thanks again.
libby
September 10, 2006 06:48PM
hiya we was in the fires in hanioti it was very scary but we stuck at it and stayed there and had a brill time at the angelo!in fact loved it so much goin back in october does any1 no how to contact hotel angelo?if so please email me at babixgalx@aol.com!
by the way does any1 no what the weathers like in october?
Karen_t63
September 11, 2006 09:25PM
Hanioti tends to shut down in October, Literally! - Hanioti is a tourist town. May - September
andrew
September 11, 2006 10:16PM
We were also sent home by Thomson on the Wednesday and as of today (11/9) we have heard nothing having been promised a full refund. Like you, we never got to our resort of Fourka, although it doesn't appear to have really been affected. We do have a Thomson letter given to us at the airport stating that we would get a full refund. Please let us know if you hear any more.
September 13, 2006 07:59AM
Hi,

We arrived back from the Royal Kostas Apartments on Monday 11th September.

From the back of the apartments you can see some burnt trees, and still smell it a little.

It is much worse on the way down to Hanioti. It only loooks like the trees though and you won't notice much/ if any damage to buildings.

There is quite a lot of ash in the sea still, however it is still very clean, and you probably wouldn't really know it was ash-looks like little bits of broken up seaweed. (I can tell you clean it is, as whilst we were on the beach one day a pipe burst whichc led to very sandy/dirty water being washed down the road and into the sea-immediately a large are changed colour. The next day it was all gone and crystal clear again.)

Overall, if you go looking for the bad you will see it, but certainly in Polichrono it won't make any difference to your holiday I don't think.
September 13, 2006 09:19PM
We were there when the fires started on our first night in hanotie and it was very scary and we was on our own. We contacted the thomsons hotline when we was in a bar on the beach which we stayed all night and was told that they would contact us the following morning but they never did. We made our own way back to the hotel and eventually the reps came and told us that everything was fine even though we had no electricity and water. We could see a fire and smoke in the afternoon and I rang thomsons who informed me that it was under control. 1 hour later they rang back to tell us that we was being evcuated. We didn't want to come home but be moved to a different resort but we was flown home with a promise of a full refund due to it being the first night of our holiday, and I have to say that they have been prompt in paying this as we received this on the 3rd September but they was not there to help us when we needed them in the resort which was disappointing when you read about other tour operators being there.
Louise Giscombe
October 04, 2006 10:36AM
Is anyone out there trying to get some level of compensation from their tour operator? We were with Airtours and their service was appauling both during and after the fires - I have 2 small children and one year old who was a premature baby and I was very concerned about the amount of smoke she inhaled. I was assured medical attention would be arranged and nothing happened 0 in fact the rep cleared off for hours and then told us we were fine and that all the firest were out - 2 hours later we were being evacuated! I am not looking for huge sums of money - I do find a holiday voucher for my next airtours holiday an insult however - they are calling this a force majeure situation but it was arson wasn't it??

Many thanks

Louise
Betty
October 04, 2006 01:37PM
The fire actually started because of the tornado earlier and it knocked down a power line which started the fire.
October 12, 2006 11:34AM
CAN ANYONE HELP?

My family and I were also in Hanoiti on the night of the fire after only being there four days.

We too were flown back to the UK on a rescue flight on the Wednesday evening after being told the foreign office had ordered everyone out. Since being home I have tried to claim from the insurance and have been told that I am not covered as the foreign office did not order anyone out. Are you having the same problem. Who was your tour operator.

Has anyone got written evidence that we were told to leave by the Foriegn Office/Home Office/British Embassy?

Thanks for your help

Sharon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2006 12:11PM by swiggetts.
October 12, 2006 12:19PM
My family and I were also in Hanoiti on the night of the fire after only being there four days.

We too were flown back to the UK on a rescue flight on the Wednesday evening after being told the foreign office had ordered everyone out. Since being home I have tried to claim from the insurance and have been told that I am not covered as the foreign office did not order anyone out. Are you having the same problem. Who was your tour operator.

Has anyone got written evidence that we were told to leave by the Foriegn Office/Home Office/British Embassy?

Thanks for your help

Sharon
October 16, 2006 10:04PM

Hi I'm Alex and I live in Pefkohori,I was in the fire that night trying to save my house from getting burnt down.It might sound silly to you but I would like to see some photos from that night,especially if anybody has taken any from the second peninscula Sithonia.I found some british people here on vacation that had some photos of the woods from that night,so I was wondering if maybe anyone else had any.

Alexx
October 17, 2006 07:12AM
Alex,

try the following link

www.halkidiki.com/photo-album/showgallery.php?cat=534

------------
Nikos
Forum Admin
nikos at halkidiki.com
October 18, 2006 09:15PM

Are you Greek Niko?Did you take this photos yourself?Are they taken from Sithonia or From a boat?
The pictures are socking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login