Fire in Kassandra - YOUR REPORTS HERE - try to help other people

Fire in Kassandra - YOUR REPORTS HERE - try to help other people

Posted by Nikos 
Re: Fire in Kassandra - YOUR REPORTS HERE - try to help other people
September 04, 2006 10:52AM
I'm not moaning and groaning about compensation but still think we should get some. This was caused by arson and lost us money and spoilt our holiday. It's hardly ever going to be the reps fault but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be compensated. However, in my view we weren't looked after, weren't kept informed and this DID spoil our holiday. This wouldn't stop me going back to Halkidiki though. And the only local who made any attempt to help or support was Gutu (I think) from the Maharajni Restaurant in Hanioti - which is a brilliant restaurant by the way. The hotel staff did a little but seemed more concerned about possible costs than helping. Sounds like you were well looked after by First Choice. The owner at the Angelo appeared determined throughout to get his money's worth out of us.

The first/only person from the emergency services we saw was a police car at 04.00 on the Tuesday but no-one suggested what we should do, if it was safer on the beach or in the hotel, or anything else. We looked after ourselves throughout the whole experience until we saw the rep Tueday AM. She said they had no plan to evacuate us that day. "Why? It's all under control now". Our hotel was full of debris and had debris dropping on it until well into Tuesday night and no water or electric until after 4.00pm. We were then packed in ten minutes at the rep's insistence around 4.00pm because now we WERE being evacuated and then left standing on the pavement until finally when the coach arrived around 9.30pm unable to do anything. We didn't order food in case the coach came. We have come home more stressed than we went and my wife is still tearful when she thinks about it. We had enjoyed it up to then but it ruined it for us. Not for you it seems but I guess we are all different.

September 04, 2006 10:59AM

There was no evidence to say this fire was started by arson, as there was lightning in the area that day this is thought to be the cause.
papa dogg
September 04, 2006 11:49AM
I know that different people had different experinces, but I've got to agree with Tracey and would have no hesitation in recommending Halkidiki as a holiday destination.

We also stayed at Churusso and the locals, staff and reps did as much as they could to help us and after the initial shock of being evacuated, everything was calm. My only critisism was that the Authorities took there time getting there (I didn't see a police officer till nearly 2am) ,but I understand that the roads were blocked by abandoned vehicles.

The First Choice reps provided water and an update whenever they heard anything, and given their age and experience I though that they were excellent. The next day the restaurant manager made a point of coming around and checking everyone was OK and as Tracey says the mop up operation was in full swing by the time we were having breakfast.

Remember that whilst we may have had a night of inconvenience, some of the locals lost their homes and livelihoods' - does anyone know if there is an appeal fund set up for them?
jokent
September 04, 2006 01:49PM
Thanks Tracey....... That is why I will be travelling with first choice for ever more..... :-D and not KOSMAR!!!!!!
jokent
September 04, 2006 01:58PM
Graham..... Both you and I seem to be singing from the same song sheet!
When I could see the fire coming down the hill, I ran down to the pool bar to ask if we were being evacuated. I was told by the hotel manageress ( lady in white t-shirt and blonde hair ) that there was no problem that the fire was 5 km in polikhrono...... I laughed and said you are kidding it's accross the road. What do you think her and her husband's response was? Come and have a drink at the bar. By the time I got back to our room ( on the top floor ) the whole room was filled with smoke and the fire was at the roadside......

what did we do - Took care of our bloody selves! I am only glad we didn't bring any other family with us!

Kosmar are a disgrace.... They have only 3 reps accross the whole island. That is where Kosmar and 1st choice are different. We know First Choice reps and they were the first to have people ( that needed to ) off the island. They have so many reps, that people were taken care of. Unfortunately I have learned the hard way..... going with a different operator is just a disaster!
sally and pete
September 05, 2006 09:01AM
totally agree with tracy our reps were excellant in keeping us informed of any changes i must admit myself and my family were truamatised for the next few days after the fire but everybody by the poolside had a diffrent experiance to share but than we got back on holiday mode and had a lovely time our first choice reps did everything they could and concidering there ages were absolute stars the greeks were fantastic we brits are so sheltered from such things its just a walk in the park for them they get back up brush themselfs down and start a new day myself and my family got back in 1 piece apart from a sprained ankle im very rich i have the love of my family thats enouh for me why seek compensation
Tracey & Glyn
September 05, 2006 03:06PM
My husband and I are flying out to Halkidiki on 11th September and also staying at the Hilltop Hotel, Hanioti for 2 weeks, We have been informed by someone living in Hanioti that the Hilltop Hotel is not affected but the forest surrounding this area has been burnt down. We have been informed that the Hilltop has amazing sea views though !!! Hope to see you there......

Tracey & Glyn, Cornwall
September 05, 2006 06:37PM
The police and emergency services were reporting the fire as being started deliberately. I agree that there was lightning and that could well have been the cause but I was basing my view on news reports of arson.

I too am happy to get home in one piece but as many others have already been promised compensation I believe the offer should be the same no matter which company you went with.

Graham
September 05, 2006 07:42PM
Hi all

we have been in Hanioti at the moment and just wanted to let everyone know that its just fine to travel.

There is little dammage to the resort although the outside of the village looks as thouth the autumn has arrived early!!!

Everywhere is open and ready to greet you with open arms.

Also the tractors have been on the beach every night to ensure the beach is VERY CLEAN!!!

Please do not be discouraged in travelling as we were so worried as our wedding is due to take place here next week and we were bothered about the damage but PLEASE be assured you will have a fantastic time.

Take care and hope to see some of you off the flights that are due to arrive on Thursday!!

Vicky & Alex

I tried to download our picture but failed.......will try again soon.
September 05, 2006 08:32PM

The arson report on the fire was as the fire was still burning, and only heresay. More up to date reports have said it may have been the lightning in the area. Fires have been reported in Crete Kefalonia and many other areas of Greece, over the last two weeks. The main cause being lightning.

The media does'nt care whether that statement was correct, they only care about the audience ratings.

Quote overheard at the airport form a british reporter ' that was a great 24 hours' . My friend who was also in the fire, gave him a piece of her mind.
September 05, 2006 10:19PM
We don't know that the reporters didn't report what they were told. There was a report that dodgy developers had set fire to the woods. I agree it was questionasble but there is no evidence that it was lightning either so it's all assumption.

I think news reporters are always torn between being in the middle of a big story and the suffering around them. I know BBC reporters who covered 9/11 who struggled with the mixed messages in their head. However, the great 24hrs they refer to probably included the stolen icon story and so, for someone covering a backwater like Halkidiki, it probably was a great 24hrs. Especially as many will be independents selling to networks!

I'm delighted all is back to normal but there will always be some who are put off by such events. However, on that basis we would be running out of places to holiday, the far east with Tsunamis, hurricanes and terrorism, Turkey with terrorism, the middle East and asia, North Africa, South Africa with crime issues. If you listened to all that you would never go anywhere. Tomorrow I'd far rather be having a beer in the Central Cafe Hanioti than sat in my office!

Graham

September 06, 2006 07:59AM

Athens News 25th August

The belief that arson was a possible cause for the fires was largely dismissed by meterological sources that showed Cassandra being hit by an electrical storm in which more than 13 lightning bolts struck within close proximity of one another at approximately 6 pm shortly before the first flames were spotted.

There were strong winds and lightning but no rain said Greek fire chief Andreas Kois. These conditions can cause the fire to spread at great speed and make it difficult to stop.

Thessalonki Airport suffered the same storm as Halkidiki, high winds grounding the two F1-215 Canadair waterbomber aircraft stationed there. With the olnly aircraft nearby grounded for 40 crucial minutes, the initial fight was reduced ot local fire engines, said Panayotis Fotinopoulos a spokesman for the fire brigade.
September 06, 2006 10:04AM
Just got back from a week in Hanioti, at the Hanioti Palace.
Although the some of the trees to the northwest of the main road are a little charred, there is very little in Hanioti to suggest there was even a fire.

The only evidence I saw was some slight grey streaks on the white parasols at the hotel pool.

The only thing missing from Hanioti is tourists. It was very uncrowded, and very relaxing.

My daughter has asthma, and she had no problems whatsoever.

The beach / sea are fine, and the people are very welcoming.

I'll post some pictures a little later.
ian
September 06, 2006 08:41PM
was sent home from thessaloniki on wed 23 august by thomson who would not allow us to get to our resorts i was given a letter stating that i would recieve a full refund within fourteen days i rang today and thomson say that their system knows nothing about any refund i was bounced from department to department with no success as yet i just wondered if anybody else who was sent home has recieved their refunds and if not what they are doing to get it?
jonty
greek fire!
September 07, 2006 09:35AM
greek fire man,
its all around,
some dirty st???os,
being a clown,
tried to ruin our holidays,
with greek fire,
and purple haze
dont worry though
if you're off to kriopigi
it hasn't been burned
so stop being silly

the skys will clear above you here
kassandra glowing with glee
just relax and unwind
your holiday will be fine
no need to panic now
when you look over the brow
at all the parched forests of yellow
they're nor burned
so try to mellow.

INSPIRATION man
disheartened
help other people?
September 07, 2006 03:16PM
there really are some dark people on this forum. I wrote a light-hearted cheerful poem to help raise everyone's spirits who have endured these terrible fires but whoever's in charge of this forum deleted it off. No sense of humour, nevermind
Victoria
September 07, 2006 05:33PM

Hello all,

I just returned from Hanioti this afternoon after flying out just after the fiires on Thursday 24th. The first few days were a bit smoky of an evening but other than that the resort was fine.
Now the resort is booming, I had a fantastic time there and have no regrets about flying out.

Victoria
September 08, 2006 12:26PM
HELLO FROM THE HEART OF HANIOTI,LIFE HERE IS BACK TO NORMAL 2 DAYS AFTER THE FIRE AND TODAY WE HAVE 80% FULL ON ALL HOTELS.THE MEDIA WANTED SPECIALY THE GREEK THE PLACE TO DIE BECAUCE HALKIDIKI WAS THIS YEAR No1 IN GREECE BUT THEY DIDNT SUCSESS BECAUSE HALKIDIKI IS THE BEST PLACE IN GREECE AND THEY KNOW THAT.HANIOTI IS REALLY OK ,ONLY THE FOREST TOP OF THE ROAD IS BURNED.THE RESORT IS FULL OF LIFE AGAIN.
tony
September 08, 2006 06:29PM
i am sorry to disagree with both joanne and stripedblood. first the fire started about 4 pm om sunday. i have time and date on my camera. i first took pictures at 4.22 pm. secondly, we were at the nemos apartments in polichrono and the beach was full of people who were told to go to the beach. as the nemos is the furthest end of the village i assume the people thought it safer that end. we met a family who were in hanioti and had to run to the beach without their cases. they walked along the beach to polichrono after wading in the sea to get away from the flames. we saw them on monday morning at the nemos. also the fire engines were filling up with water from the sea outside the nemos all night on sunday. i also have a video of them at 10.30 that night. the lightning storm was about an hour after the fire started.
Roy
September 09, 2006 06:53PM
I must agree about the lightning.It was after the fire had started.We all thought that a thunderstorm was going to arrive to put the fires out.
Does it really matter now though what started the fires as in all the towns it is all back to normal.The same cannot be said for the forest and wild life in the area.
We can only hope that with proper management the area can be replanted.Some of the trees will be ok if not chopped down too soon.
All ready along the edge of the roads shoots are appearing and by next spring new growth should be every where
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login