Fire in Kassandra - YOUR REPORTS HERE - try to help other people

Fire in Kassandra - YOUR REPORTS HERE - try to help other people

Posted by Nikos 
al
Re: Fire in Kassandra - YOUR REPORTS HERE - try to help other people
August 25, 2006 03:52PM
HAVE HUST GOT HOME AND WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE GOING OUT THERE HANIOTI IS FULL OF ASH AND IF THE WIND PICKS UP THATS ALL YOU WILL FEEL ON YOUR SKIN IT WAS A BAD SITUATION IM GLAD IM HOME SAFE NOW
Roy
August 25, 2006 04:42PM
Strange as I was in Hanioti today and the only ash around is on the outskirts of the village.The situation isn't bad that's why the tourist have come back
john padden
August 25, 2006 05:48PM
Graham's post just about sums it up.

We got back today. We had booked direct (not via a tour operator) and therefore had to do our own thing. So, we left Hanioti at first light (we had a hired car) Tuesday morning and travelled up to Thessaloniki where we had an enforced city-break, which we enjoyed, while trying to get the memory of Monday night out of our heads. All day Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday the water planes and helicopter were evident in the sky above the peninsula.

We stayed on the beach until 2am Monday night/Tuesday morning and then walked into the town where we had parked the car earlier. It was at that stage covered in ash and with the 2 kids being asthmatic, staying on the beach, or in the open air, was not an option as the ashes were continuing to fall even though the risk of immediate danger from the fire had passed.

The most worrying time was at the beginning of Monday evening when we and others were running along the beach with the burning embers being blown over by the extraordinarily strong wind (especially given that there hadn't been a breath of wind in the previous 7 days), followed by the prolonged period when the smoke wouldn't shift. Seeing the beach bar alight at the other end of the beach and the sky aglow in front of us gave us the impression of being trapped and in danger. There can be no doubt that it was a very frightening ordeal, especially for the kids and the old, of whom there were many.

Having said all of this, I walked through the town in the early hours of Tuesday and I can say that all looked OK (although it was obviously dark and there was no electricity). The supermarket up by the main road obviously took the brunt of the fire. Although I have been in Thessaloniki for the last four days and cannot comment on how Hanioti is right now, I would say that all the signs were that once the ash was cleared, the smoke had lifted and the electricity was restored, all would be OK. Hanioti is a @#$%& resort and the atmosphere in the square is brilliant. I would say to anyone who is having doubts about going there, don't. The local authorities will have learned a lot from this situation and I am sure that such problems would not be allowed to develop in the same way in the future. What people must also remember is that this was to a great extent a freak incident. The flames, coupled with the unbelieveably high winds going towards the resort and beach were the main problem.
August 25, 2006 06:08PM
JOHN,

You mention the supermarket on the main road was badly damaged, was it the one near Hotel Angelo and Cleopatra Studios that you mean? The largest supermarket in Hanioti I think? I am trying to get hold of friends in the area and can't. Please reply. Thanks
john padden
August 25, 2006 07:09PM
Yes, that's the one. It is on the main road. The fire engines were there when we tried to get out by car at 2am and again when we did get out at 7am.
Roy
August 26, 2006 10:04AM
Well said John.
As you say Monday night was bad but now the fires are out and the towns have been cleaned up it looks like nothing has happened unless you go outside into the countryside or try to shop in the large supermarket.All the locals are sure that withing two years they will have the trees replanted
Sandra
August 26, 2006 10:38AM
Can someone tell me is the Nikiforos apartments still in the place of Hanioti and is it damage in fire? We are going there next week with two small children. In the agency tell us that everything is ok but we are sceptical.
August 26, 2006 11:22AM
Hi Nikiforos is in the village and will not be damaged - the villagers have been cleaning up and village / beach life has returned. unfortunately large dense pine forrests on the opposite side of the road have been devastated. The locals as ever will make you very welcome.
We were in Hanioti in may staying with greek friends and would have returned in october to support them if we had not won a holiday of a lifetime to Mauritius later this year . We have booked to return there in April 2007 to celebate easter which will have extra poigniency given recent events. Your presence in Hanioti will be appreciated by villagers and they will make you very welcome.
Mick
August 26, 2006 02:10PM
Hi! Can anyone tell me if Hanioti Village has been affected by the fire as we are going in 2 weeks time. Thanks.
dave
August 26, 2006 02:36PM
sorry to ask but if anyone knows the petridis apartments in pefkohori, can anyone tell me if they are ok and what the area aroundthem is like now??

Cheers

Neil Greenough
August 26, 2006 09:00PM
I'm due to fly out with my fiancee on 11th September 2006, staying in the Hilltop Hotel in Hanioti. We telephoned Thomson (our Tour Operator) two days ago who said that their Terms & Conditions still remain and that the resort of Hanioti is unaffected.
jagoda
August 27, 2006 12:28PM
Hello!

I have a big request, if anyone of you were in Kropigi last days, please describe the situation, especially the Hotel Palladium. On 5 september I and my husband will go to Krpopigi.

Best regards,

Jagoda

!!!!!!!!!
August 27, 2006 12:53PM
ive been told the hotel hilltop has been burnt down if it is the same one
Lison
August 27, 2006 01:16PM
Hi Graham,
After reading your report I think I can put faces to you and your family. We stayed at the Angelo from the 17th to 24th (well 21st!!) and were the pastie white sunbathers whom you kindly donated a lilo to!
It feels so good to be home, don't know about you, but realisation has certainly kicked in and we've actually now got time to think about the horrors that happened that night.
We were taken to the Grand Palace Hotel in Thessalonika, a taste of luxury that was certainly what we all needed. Wasn't too impressed with the city when we went out to explore, huge with lots of shops, but also dirty and lots of homeless people.
Simon was quite impressed, after you had earlier said about your BBC News encounter, that he got interviewed by Greek News in the Airport, shame we wont get to see it.

Anyway, Glad everyone is home safely and lovely to meet you all

Lison and Simon
Lison
August 27, 2006 01:24PM
Hi Al,
Did you stay in the Angelo Hotel, Hanioti?

Lison
August 27, 2006 04:37PM
Lison, please see post on Thessaloniki
Roy
August 27, 2006 05:31PM
The hanioti village hotel is ok
Roy
August 27, 2006 05:33PM
Kriopigi wasn't touched by the fire at all
Neil
August 27, 2006 07:32PM
Can anybody else confirm the Hilltop Hotel has burnt down? This has been mentioned by two different people?
Dan Reese
August 27, 2006 08:01PM
Best thing to do to find out which hotels were damaged by the fire is to call a tour operator and ask. We called to check as we are flying out next Thurs, and they could confirm straight away that our hotel hasnt been touched. Even if you aren't going there for a holiday and you just want to know if the hotel is ok you can still ask. They dont know you arent going there so just say you are due to fly out next week so you need to know if the hotel is ok.

Safe Tidy Easy

Dan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login