Traveling to Halkidiki soon????

Posted by Vicky 
August 23, 2006 05:14PM
I have to say that I am totally amazed at the number of people on here talking about canceling.

Yes this is an awful situation, but does running away from a situation help it???

My view not at all........this should be a time to show the locals how much we love it and no matter what happens we will always love it!!!

I'm due to leave the UK on the 31st August to get married in Hanioti....and there is no way in this world that I would let this fire or any other spoil our day.

Yes everybody wants there holiday to be perfect and none more so than me this time...but really some people need to chill and live life the way the Greeks do.

There is so, so, so much more to Halkidiki than its trees, yes they were/are beautiful but a holiday is what YOU make it....so come on guys chill out and lets not cancel and lets be positive rather than negative.....We still have the amazing sea and beaches.........but most of all we still have the people!!!

Vicky
X

Can't wait for next Thursday....Can't wait for the cocktail's and defo can't wait for my first meal in Gusto's!!!!
raz123
Re: Traveling to Halkidiki soon????
August 23, 2006 06:19PM
Dear Vicky,

If you maybe planed to do get married in that beautiful beach bar in Hanioti, just to know it is gone in fire completely. I am sure that there is no one from UK in Hanioti in this moment. It is not a place you want to be in this moment. In 10-14 days maybe, not earlier.
August 23, 2006 06:46PM
Thanks Raz for your positive and kind words to encourage tourists to the area and help locals restore normality in this dreadful week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if you don’t understand the wit I am being sarcastic!!!!!
JoKent
August 23, 2006 06:50PM
I was evacuated from Hanioti last night and am currently in internet room in hotel in Thessaloniki awaiting a flight home. One thing I will say is that personally, no matter how much I love the island it is devasting and I just want to return to the UK. Hanioti is a right mess and 24 hours after the fire drove us out of our hotel there is ash raining down on the whole of Kassandra. If I were you I would seek an alternative location for your wedding as 2 days on the fire is still simbering and there is black ash covering the surface of the sea in Hanioti. Your wedding day should be the best day of your life and I cannot see how in a weeks time it will be back to normal. It can take weeks for the ashes of these fires to disperse and juding by the area the fire has covered you may find it is still blowing down in weeks to come.
August 23, 2006 06:59PM
Jo

I have no doubt in the world that it is awful and I feel for everyone involved.

But seeking elsewhere for our wedding is impossible.....the paperwork is location specific and can't be amended at sure short notice.....we wouldn't get a refund should we want to cancel anyway and we a prepared to make the best of this situation.

No it’s not ideal.....No it’s not what we planned ......and yes weddings are stressful without worrying about this!!

Positive thoughts and words are what are needed now on all fronts!!!
August 23, 2006 09:49PM
Vicky, just go and enjoy what you can. There are so many conflicting reports, and we have news from our Greek friends in Kriopigi too. I am sure it is terrible, in places. I am also sure that you will have a good wedding. Just go with the flow. If we were there, there is no way I would come home (mostly I suppose as I would want to help our Greek friends in their moment of need), but also because it is a natural disaster . Therefore it is nobodys fault, and I would stay and help out if I could. Of course some areas and hotels will be more badly affected than others, but Halkidiki is huge, and Kassandra is huge, there will be and must be places to go that are not so badly affected.

And I know, I have been going for over 28 years and lived there for three, so bad it might be, but total devastation, no.......... Read Sakis at Acropolis report too, he is local and has no interest in telling lies to get people there. Also locals such as Joanne Cole, Roy etc. Why would they want to lie. No reason.

ENJOY your wedding, not as perfect as you wanted maybe, but I am sure it will be fine. Good luck and happy holidays honeymoon. If I wasnt working I would be over there tomorrow to help and also support everyone, as well as explore the area and see what was happening.

Jane
Leigh
August 24, 2006 03:54AM
I would just like to inform anybody that is about to depart for their holidays to Halkidiki that there is no danger and don't be put off coming.

Was it bad? Yes it was.

Is it a disaster? No it isn't. Everybody WAS running scared wondering whether they WERE in danger, if their homes/businesses/cars were on fire andif they would ever recover from such terrible events.

How are things now? The effort of the locals to restore order and normality has been outstanding. Everybody taking part in their own little clean up operations. After a meeting with the local shop owners, everybody is converging on the square at 7AM to clean up any remaining damage or anything affected by the smoke and ash, not fire. I can count on one hand how many hours sleep my wife has had in the last 3 days. Many of the villagers risked their own lives keeing Hanioti village the beautiful and safe holiday destination that it was and still is. We owe them a debt of gratitude. The very night after the main fire, as soon as we had electricity and water, we were open. The next night, everything was open. So things are pretty good considering....

What about the smoke and ash? Yes the last few days have been affected by smoke but every day gets better and better. A little smoke was to be expected as thousands of square metres of countryside went up in flames. The ash, well, nothing a good hosing or sweeping hasn't sorted.

I am speaking for Hanioti but I am sure this is being repeated up and down the peninsular by other villages.

So, if you are planning to visit, there is a friendly welcome waiting for you and please dont abandon us for the sake of a lot of exaggeration and sacremongering.

By the way, work has already started on 'that' lovely beach bar (made of wood) and is expected to be up and running within days.

Leigh & Eleni

The Hot Goblin
raz123
August 24, 2006 08:12AM
My "dear Vicky",

I will not be sarcastic but I was there and you are in Manchester.
And just to know this:
1) There ware no tourists from UK in Hanioti yesterday
2) Major source of panic during that horrible night was tourist from UK, Russia and Germany. Such big countries and such disappointing behavior during critical moments.
3) Only tourists which are currently in Hanioti are from Serbia. We left Hanioti just because of our small kids. I did not seen kid under 14 with group of 50 tourists from UK which left their hotel.
4) Owner of apartment where my friends were stayed, left his building and gone to Thessalonica. He left few remaining tourists with words "I am leaving Hanioti and I think you should do the same, please leave room keys at the doors".
5) There were two group of Greeks during past few days. Brave one - locals which rescue property, place and tourists, and the other ones - mainly tourists from other parts of Greece which joined to the panic and made huge problems to firefighters with their cars in run.

So Vicky I am sorry but I did not seen such brave Englishman's in Hanioti like you are. Maybe it is much easier to be brave from some 3000 km.

Ask our Greek friends about tourist origin which are currently in Hanioti.
charlotte
August 24, 2006 08:51AM
Raz

I think you may have taken Vicky's email in the wrong way. She has said nothing about being a brave englishman but is simply concerned about her wedding day. You are correct that it is very easy to judge the situation from far away but all we have to go by is forums like these and the news. There are numerous conflicting stories and it is very difficult when the travel companies are saying that the flights are going as planned. I am due to go out next week and am worried about the situation but have no intention of cancelling especailly as it will be at my own cost.

Vicky keep smiling and maybe see you out there.
August 24, 2006 09:05AM
Two of my friends are in Hanioti at the moment.

Shirley
August 24, 2006 09:42AM
Vicky, i wish you all the best, you have obviously picked Hanioti for the location to get married because you have fallen in love with it just as i have. I am due to go in 3 weeks and i cannot wait. i was devestated at the news of the fires but i know what the people are like there and i am sure that it will be back to the gorgeous place it has always been in no time at all.
August 24, 2006 10:10AM
We are off to Pefkohori on the 21st September , having been to Polychromo on a previous occasion and thoroughly enjoyed the area so this fire isn't putting us off at all

Ian and Caroline
August 24, 2006 11:30AM
Thanks to all with positive words.

I hope to see many of you in the local bars to toast the wonderful people of Hanioti and help them put this in the past!!!

Raz..........i'm really not getting into this conversation with you.......read what everyone else has said and get real!!!

Macintosh
Renaissance Hotel & Situation in Hanioti?
August 24, 2006 08:48PM
Hey Everyone,

First of all I hope everyone effected by the fire in hanioti are ok and all is well, I cant imagine what it must of been like for the residents of the areas I can only say I hope everything works out for the best and good luck.

I would just like to know if anyone would be able to help answer a few questions that I have reguarding a holiday I have booked in hanioti next month?

Firstly I am staying at the Reaissance Hotel and would like to know if its ok and how much its been effected by the fire (also any information in general would be good to as I have never been to halkidiki or Greece before, whats it like etc?)

Secondly I booked my holiday in Hanioti because of its excellent reviews of the area, people, culture and activities have any of these been effected becuase of the fire? For example the village I hear is amazing with great people and places to eat, and just sit with a cool drink and relax to the sunset is this vision of Hanioti I have still the same after the fire? Also the beach I have heard is one of the best around I hope this is still the amazing setting it has been portrade to me?

Lastly I try not to believe everything I see in the newspapers but being a London city worker its hard to by-pass something you read everyday. I have as some people have to seen some awlful pictures of burnt houses, supermarkets, bars, parasols, sunbeds and what worries me is the caption always relates to Hanioti, so what is really going on there and what does Hanioti look like from all views? (Any images would be great)

One last thing really what I think tourists want to know 'what are we going to see when we get to Greece, and Hanioti, what should we expect and is this fire going to effect our holiday in anyway, if so how?

Sorry again for any loss but it is nice to hear that there are places in the World where people come together in time of need, and more than anything thats whats making me more excited about visiting Halkidiki, Hanioti.....Friendlyness and care for there country (it must be a fantastic place).

Any replys would be great.

Thanks

Macintosh

Re: Renaissance Hotel & Situation in Hanioti?
August 25, 2006 08:12PM
Macintosh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Everyone,
>
> First of all I hope everyone effected by the fire
> in hanioti are ok and all is well, I cant imagine
> what it must of been like for the residents of the
> areas I can only say I hope everything works out
> for the best and good luck.
>
> I would just like to know if anyone would be able
> to help answer a few questions that I have
> reguarding a holiday I have booked in hanioti next
> month?
>
> Firstly I am staying at the Reaissance Hotel and
> would like to know if its ok and how much its been
> effected by the fire (also any information in
> general would be good to as I have never been to
> halkidiki or Greece before, whats it like etc?)
>
> Secondly I booked my holiday in Hanioti because of
> its excellent reviews of the area, people, culture
> and activities have any of these been effected
> becuase of the fire? For example the village I
> hear is amazing with great people and places to
> eat, and just sit with a cool drink and relax to
> the sunset is this vision of Hanioti I have still
> the same after the fire? Also the beach I have
> heard is one of the best around I hope this is
> still the amazing setting it has been portrade to
> me?
>
> Lastly I try not to believe everything I see in
> the newspapers but being a London city worker its
> hard to by-pass something you read everyday. I
> have as some people have to seen some awlful
> pictures of burnt houses, supermarkets, bars,
> parasols, sunbeds and what worries me is the
> caption always relates to Hanioti, so what is
> really going on there and what does Hanioti look
> like from all views? (Any images would be great)
>
> One last thing really what I think tourists want
> to know 'what are we going to see when we get to
> Greece, and Hanioti, what should we expect and is
> this fire going to effect our holiday in anyway,
> if so how?
>
> Sorry again for any loss but it is nice to hear
> that there are places in the World where people
> come together in time of need, and more than
> anything thats whats making me more excited about
> visiting Halkidiki, Hanioti.....Friendlyness and
> care for there country (it must be a fantastic
> place).
>
> Any replys would be great.
>
> Thanks
>
> Macintosh
>
> Just bringing this one back as well
>
>
>

Re: Renaissance Hotel & Situation in Hanioti?
August 25, 2006 11:22PM
HI MACINTOSH,
YES THE VILLAGE OF HANIOTI AND ITS PEOPLE ARE FANTASTIC. WE HAVE THE PRIVILAGE OF BEING BEST FRIENDS WITH THANASIS AND MENIA WHO OWN THE CENTRAL CAFE IN THE SQUARE, NEXT YEAR WILL BE OUR 17TH YEAR,
THE VILLAGE PEOPLE HAVE ALL UNITED TO TRY TO RESTORE NORMILIATY TO THE VILLAGE, NEARLY ALL THE BUISSNESSES ARE OPEN-SOME GREAT PLACES TO EAT-SOMETING TO SUIT EVERYONE, THE CENTRAL SQUARE IS A GREAT PLACE TO SIT AND CHILL-WATCH THE ARTISTS AT WORK THEY DO SOME BRILLIANT PORTRAITS.THERE IS SO MANY PLACES TO VISIT TAKE A CIRCULAR TOUR OF THE PENINSULAR AND MAKE THE BEST OF UNSPOILT GREECE, I AM CONFIDENT ONCE YOU HAVE BEEN YOU WILL WANT TO RETURN , LIKE SO MANY PEOPLE ALREADY DO
THE VILLAGE AND THE BEACHES I HAVE BEEN TOLD HAVE BEEN CLEANED UP, AS WITH ANY DISASTER YOU WILL BE SEE THE EFFECTS OF THE FIRE ON THE WOODLAND.
THE AIR IS NOW CLEAR,
I HOPE YOU CAN GO AND ENJOY YOUR HOLS, THE PEOPLE OF HANIOTI WILL GIVE YOU A WARM WELCOME-PLEASE GIVE THEM YOUR SUPPORT, MORE THAN EVER THEY NEED IT NOW, THEY STILL HAVE TWO MONTHS OF A SEASON TO DEAL WITH, THEY HAVE DEALT WITH A HORRIBLE UNEXPECTED EVENT PICKED THEMSELVES UP AND ARE READY TO CARRY ON.
MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE TOURISTS WHO HAD TO GO THROUGH THE NIGHTMARE OF THE LAST FEW DAYS, WE WISH YOU ALL WELL
THE VILLAGE OF HANIOTI WILL AGAIN RISE FROM THE ASHES AND ITS NATURAL BEAUTY WILL RETURN SOON.
TO THE PEOPLE OF HANIOTI YOU ARE IN OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS-PLEASE GIVE THEM YOUR POSITIVE SUPPORT
HOPE YOU ARE ABLE TO ENJOY THE HALKIDIKI EXPERIENCE TO THE FULL
SAFE JOURNEY TAKE CARE

SHERRILYN STEVE
Macintosh
August 25, 2006 11:51PM
Hey Forum!

Thanks to everyone who has replied especially Sherrilyn and Steve who have posted a positive and good understanding of the questions I raised.

If possible though S&S (Sherrilyn and Steve) I have a couple more inquires I would like to make if its ok? (Sorry If I offend anyone with all the haste I just really don't know what to expect with the amount of Bullshit you get in London its quite amazing!)

I heard today that a supermarket was completely ruined and have been given the impression that its like the only one (crazy I know!) does this have effect on the shopping community and shopping in general for products mabe purchased from a supermarket (are there others in simple terms?) I sound stupid I know.

Also the same information about a popular beach bar on the front? Any thoughs?

One other question I cant get many reviews about where im staying the Reaissance Hotel whats it like, where is it situated, am near the burnt parts?

Thanks Again

Anybody who has travelled to Hanioti and is in my situation as many of us are let us uk'ers know what you was expecting and what you thought when you got there?

One last thing "I pick up my tickets tomorrow, cant wait"!!!

Macintosh
August 26, 2006 06:40AM
HI MaCINTOSH
IT IS NO TROUBLE TO TRY TO ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS, I AM SURE THE REAISSANCE HOTEL IS NEAR THE BEACH[ THE BEACH IS SHINGLE NOT SAND, BUT IS KEPT CLEAN AND HAS WON AWARDS IN ITS TIME, YOU GET SOME AMAZING VIEWS FROM THE BEACH, AND BUZZES AT THE WEEKENDS WHEN GREEKS FROM OTHER TOWNS ARRIVE.IF YOU GO ON THE WEBSITE HOLIDAY WATCHDOG AN D TYPE IN REAISSANCE, PEOPLE GIVE IT FIRST CLASS REVIEWS!!!!!!!!, I AM SURE IT IS A FAIRLY NEW HOTEL WITH HIGH STANDARD OF ACCOMADATION
THE BEACH BAR AT THE END NEAREST TO PEFKORHI HAS BEEN DESTROYED, BUT THE MAIN BEACH BAR IS NOW OPERATIONAL AGAIN, THIS IS A EXCELLENT MEETING PLACE, THEY HAVE TABELS ON THE BEACH AT NIGHT TIME-WITH LAMPS ETC- IT CAN BE LIVLEY BECAUSE IT IS POPULAR, IF YOU TAKE THE OPTION TO TAKE A TABLE ON THE BEACH IT IS COSY AND INTIMATE.

YES ONE OF THE LARGER SUPERMARKETS ON THE MAIN ROAD LEADING OUT TO PEFFKORI HAS BEEN DESTROYED AND I FEEL FOR THE OWNERS, THERE IS ANOTHER LARGE MODERN SUPERMARKET AGAIN ON THE TOP MAIN ROAD LEADING TO KALATHIA. IT IS ABOUT A 6MIN WALK FROM THE MAIN SQUARE, A SUPERMARKET IS ALLOCATED NEAR THE DIONASSIS HOTEL[BUILT ABOUT 6-7YEARS AGO,YOU WILL ALSO FIND A [SUPERMARKET IN THE SQUARE NOT AS LARGE , BUT WELL STOCKED FOR EVERYONES NEEDS,ANOTHER SMALLER SUPERMARKET CAN BE FOUND UP FROM THE HOT GOBLIN---FANTASTIC JACKET POTATOE SHOP, AND LASTLY ONE LEADING UP TO THE TAXI RANK.I THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT THE SUPERMARKETS STOCK EVERYTHING YOU WILL NEED.
THE VILLAGE HAS SEVERAL BAKERYS STOCKING THE BEST BREAD AND CAKES , HAND MADE SWEETS ETC--YOU ARE SPOILT FOR CHOICE.[HAVE TRIED OVER THE YEARS TO SAMPLE EVERTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
I HOPE THIS HELPS-IF YOU ARE IN THE SQUARE POP IN TO SEE OUR FRIENDS AT THE CENTRAL CAFE I AM SURE THEY WILL MAKE YOU WELCOME.
IF YOU LIKE INDIAN FOOD YOU MUST GO TO THE MARAJAHA INDIAN RESTRAUNT JUST UP FROM THE CENTRAL CAFE , BEST INDIAN FOOD I HAVE EVER TASTED , WE WENT WITH OUR FRIENDS IN MAY , GOT THAT MUCH , THE STAFF KINDLY PUT WHAT WAS LEFT IN COINTAINERS TO BRING OUT,THE STAFF ARE GREAT, NOTHING TO MUCH TROUBLE.
SADLY ON A NEGATIVE NOTE YOU WILL SEE THE FIRE DAMAGED WOODLAND ON THE OPPISITE SIDE OF THE MAIN ROAD, BUT I THINK YOU ACCEPT THIS KNOWING BEFORE YOU GO., THAT THERE IS DAMAGE TO THE PINE FORESTS THAT WERE PART OF THE NATURAL BEAUTY OF THE AREA.
A WARM AND FRIENDLY WELCOME WILL AWAIT YOU, THE VILLAGE AND BUISSNESS PEOPLE NEED TO RETURN TO NORMALITY- THE FIRE IS STILL FRESH IN THERE MINDS , BUT THEY KNOW AND HAVE PULLED TOGETHER TO RESTORE THE VILLAGE FOR THE TOURIST WHO GIVE THEM A LIVING, AND ALSO FOR THEMSELVES AND THERE FAMILYS IT IS AFTER ALL THERE HOME, THEY ARE PROUD PEOPLE WHO ARE PROUD OF THE VILLAGE.
WE HOPE THAT DESPITE THE TRAGIC EVENTS , THAT YOU GO AND HAVE A GREAT TIME- IT MUST INDEED BE A VERY ANXIOUS TIME FOR ALL TRAVELLERS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN BEFORE AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT.
PLEASE GET BACK IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO , I WILL DO MY BEST TO HELP.
HAVE A SAFE JOURNEY,HOPE YOU ENJOY HANIOTI AND ITS PEOPLE,.
TAKE CARE- BEST WISHES.
SHERRILYN--STEVE
Dan Reese
August 27, 2006 08:07PM
Steveo, you seem to know your stuff, maybe you can answer a couple of questions, please.

Im staying at Alia Palace near Peffkori Village

Can you recommend:

1. romantic spot to propose
2. Good bars
3. Karaoke bars
4. Nicest beach
5. Where not to go
6. Local dishes

Cheers mate

Dan
Petra
The sea in Polihrono
August 27, 2006 09:14PM
Hallo, can anybody tell me, how does the sea in polihrono look?
Is it there still clean or not? Thank you very much..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login