Traveling to Halkidiki soon????

Traveling to Halkidiki soon????

Posted by Vicky 
Re: The sea in Polihrono
August 28, 2006 08:19AM
Hi Dan - interesting questions
Before devastating fires around Haniti areas I would have suggested getting a picnic togther from local shops with a bottle of bubbly and have a walk up into hills behind hanioti where there was a marvellous view over the forest / village and sea with nice areas to sit and propose - sadly this has been destroyed.
Afitos has a renowned resteraunt Sousourada or some thing like that and the village is very pretty - some way from Pefkahori - need car or taxi (cost unknown)
Beaches central to peninsula are more shingle but start and bottom more sandy.
Our friends family have a large camp site called Blue Dream at Sani and the beach is wonderfull it also has a nationally known club that is frequented by many "famous" greek personalities in addition to "normal" trendy people. There is a Taverna on site which does excellent local food.
The location is adjacent to Sani Beach Hotel and again a car is needed but easy to get to off main road>
If you want to know about the club (best nights etc) pop into Hanioti as the owners (George) sister Menia has the Central Cafe in hanioti Square (opposite cigarette Kiosk).
Kalithea is a more clubby type of village - we always go to Hanioti but have travelled around all villages over 16 years - not really up on Karaoki but should be some venues.
Hanioti is taverna life for people watching with a few music bars - nice trendy bar frequented by locals is Parelio near seafront in Hanioti - also Beach bar at night with torches on beach and modern music is very Romantic. Dont go out too soon - eat later as night starts after 10-30pm for Greeks. Oh if you miss having an indian meal go to Hanioti the Maharaja is fab with really great staff from the punjab ( near Somertime Rst) ask directions. There is no-where I would say not to go as such.
Food is another matter , sometimes I feel that more upmarket popular Greek places have actually poorer food at higher prices - more rustic tavernas ofern homemade and tasty - takes a bit of getting used to but much Greek food is often served warm not hot. I have tried everything including kokoretsi which is the Greek Haggis ! offal wrapped in layers of intestines - it was nice believe me or not !
hope I have answered at least some of you questions. cheers Steve
excuse spelling errors !
Dan
Re: The sea in Polihrono
August 28, 2006 02:08PM
Steve, thanks for all the info you provided it has been most helpful. I must say though we dont like the idea of only "warm" food though! Wondering If we can fit the microwave in our suitcase!!

Dan and Emma
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login