New thread for Chrousso

New thread for Chrousso

Posted by R.Crusoe 
New thread for Chrousso
May 21, 2006 09:16AM
Hello,
Thought I would start a new thread for Chrousso Village in Paliouri, as the other one is very long now, and there are no reports from this year on it yet. We are flying out on Thursday 25th May for 2 weeks, back on 8th June so will post a report on our return.
Lyn
Re: New thread for Chrousso
May 21, 2006 11:30AM
I arrive on the day you come home.
leza
May 21, 2006 03:13PM
hi,

Hope you have a great holiday R. Crusoe, look forward to reading your report on your return, hopefully i'll be a bit more clued up before i go on 24th august.

Leza.x
May 22, 2006 05:16PM
Had a mini crisis today. One of the zips on one of our suitcases broke. Will have to stop cramming everything in and cut down a bit.
May 22, 2006 05:27PM
hope you have a great time let us know what its like
Lyn
May 23, 2006 09:29AM
I got my tickets today!!!!

Just wondered if anyone could tell me how many seats are in a row on First Choice planes. Have booked so that we all sit together. There are 4 of us.
May 23, 2006 01:00PM
two rows of three
Lyn
May 24, 2006 08:17AM
Thanks.
June 11, 2006 08:10AM
As promised, a report of our holiday.....Left on 25th May for 2 weeks from Manchester Airport. First choice flight left spot on time, and made good time, landing about 20 minutes early. Luggage came through quickly and we got straight onto transfer bus. Journey took 1 hour 30 mins. Got to Village and first impression was good. Went to check in, and given rooms 25 and 26. What isn't clear in the brochure is that the apartment buildings are 3 storey not 2....the ground floor being like a basement. They were dark and gloomey, so we were not very happy. Returned to reception, spoke to Hannah the rep, and the reception staff and we were given rooms 37 and 38, which were on the top floor and much much better. We were also told later in the week that the basement apartments were very smelly. Our apartments, which were the 1 bedroomed type did not have air-conditioning, but we ordered electric fans from reception, which were delivered straight away. From what we could see, all the studio apartments had air-con, but the larger ones didn't.
The rooms were cleaned every day except Sundays, by cheerful maids. There are safes in the rooms inside your wardrobe, which are 12 Euros a week, but we didn't use ours. There is a nice large balcony outside which had the safety rail raised whilst we were there. There are lots of House-martins and Swallows which have built their nests on the balconies, we were lucky enough to watch a Swallow family on our balcony raise 5 chicks, during our stay.
The kitchen area is very very basic, but you don't really have any need for it, other than making a cup of tea, and keeping bottles of water cold in the fridge.
Beds were very comfey, with nice plump pillows.
The restaurant is light and airy, and you could either eat inside or out. If you eat outside, don't leave your food on the table and go back inside, or the sparrows will have it.
Had heard some bad reports on the food, and also heard people moaning whilst we were there. we didn't have a problem with it. There was plenty to choose from and it was always hot. Yes it did get repeated the second week, but we are talking All Inclusive, not a 5 star exclusive luxury palace with price tag to match. We had 3 children with us aged 16 12 and 6, and none of them ever went hungry. I agree that the snacks weren't up to much, but then we never wanted any as we were too full up from the meals. The staff in the restaurant are very hard working and are always dashing around, but are pleasant if you talk to them, and certainly not rude as I have read on other message boards. We were asked several times during our stay if we had any complaints and if everything was OK. (We didn't and it was) On Saturday nights there is a BBQ and a guy playing Greek Music. It would have been nice if after dinner there had been a chance to join in with some greek dancing. On Monday nights it is Gala night....don't get excited.....this just means that dinner starts an hour later, and there are 2 guys playing music. They played some salsa music and people did get up to dance to that.
The kids entertainment is a little better, with a mini disco held some nights. Our 6 year old went to the Kids Club a few times and enjoyed it, the 2 girls running it seemed very enthusiastic.
The pools are Ok....The floor is very rough, which is good as you don't slip, but it can be harsh on your feet.
Now for the wasps and mozzies. Yes they are a problem, especially the wasps. Don't leave any fizzy drinks out for long, or you will be swarmed over.They get up early in the morning, and will join you for breafast if you eat outside. By 8 in the evening they have all gone to bed.
However MOZZIES DON'T SLEEP. Take everything you can. I took plenty of repellent sprays and lotion. The Avon dry spray stuff is good. Citronells candles and Mozzie coils can be bought in the shop. I also took garlic tablets and brewers yeast tablets. We used the plug ins in the room...3 of them, and when we went down to dinner in the evening I sprayed our room with fly and wasp killer.
All these precautions seemed to work as I only got 3 bites in the 2 weeks. saw plenty of people walking round with nice big festering lumps though.

We used the hotel mini bus twice to go to Hanioti and Pefklouri. Didn't have any problems with that....just book it in advance, don't expect just to turn up and get on.

Don't forget that Chrousso is a conservation area, and there is a lot of wildlife around. I've mentioned the birds, but theres also frogs a plenty in the ponds and streams, lots of beautiful butterflies and lizards. I saw a 6 inch beetle, and the 2 men saw 2 4 foot brown and green snakes on a walk into Paliouri village.

So, all in all we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and didn't want to come home. Yes, I would go back, but probably not in high season. Any questions, or if you think I've missed something out, just shout up.
Gill
June 11, 2006 09:07PM
Hi

Thanks for the info very informative esp re the wasps and mozzies. Im going on the 6th for a week. Just wondering if lunch is served or do you have to get lunch from the snack bar? Im not bothered for lunch but our four forever hungry children probably will

Thanks
Gill
June 12, 2006 07:15AM
Hi Gill,
Yes, lunch is served 12.30 to 2.30, and there is almost as much on offer as at dinner time.
fiona
June 12, 2006 07:23AM
r crusoe thank u so much for a fair unbiased report of your holiday!

did u go to the beach ? how far is it ? and whats it like?
June 12, 2006 07:36AM
Hi Fiona,
Yes we went to the beach several times. Think we were lucky in that we must have gone before the season was fully under way, as the first 10 days of our holiday we went down and got sun beds and umbrellas, free of charge. but the last few days there was a guy sitting there with a money belt who we guessed was charging people for the beds and brollies.
The beach is about 10 minutes away, and is a pleasant walk, but again remember we went early in the season, and I would guess that in July/August the weather will make it seem a bit more of a trek.
The beach itself was pretty clean at the moment, the sea was lovely and clear and quite shallow, with lots of fish.. It is a good idea though to take some of the shoes which you go in the water with, as the first few feet is very stoney...(these are also useful in the hotel pool)
dianne james
June 12, 2006 08:33AM
Thanks R Crusoe for your comments and very informative report.You sound as though you really enjoyed yourselves. thanks again.
John
June 12, 2006 10:41AM
R.Crusoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Fiona,
> Yes we went to the beach several times. Think we
> were lucky in that we must have gone before the
> season was fully under way, as the first 10 days
> of our holiday we went down and got sun beds and
> umbrellas, free of charge. but the last few days
> there was a guy sitting there with a money belt
> who we guessed was charging people for the beds
> and brollies.
> The beach is about 10 minutes away, and is a
> pleasant walk, but again remember we went early in
> the season, and I would guess that in July/August
> the weather will make it seem a bit more of a
> trek.
> The beach itself was pretty clean at the moment,
> the sea was lovely and clear and quite shallow,
> with lots of fish.. It is a good idea though to
> take some of the shoes which you go in the water
> with, as the first few feet is very
> stoney...(these are also useful in the hotel pool)

We sat away fron the main bar area and got a bed and umbrella FOC we just got hassled to buy Doughnuts and Croisants which were tasty regardless.

fiona
June 12, 2006 11:04AM
Doughnuts!! Dont even go there!

2 years ago in samos (going off thread here) we meets sakkis the doughnut man

He sold very expensive but nice doughnuts (sold meaning he pleaded and pestered in a nice way until u gave in)

One day we found him asleep with his doughnuts in full sun covered in flies
couple days later, we watched a greek dog pee over the tray of doughnuts, when we told him he said its ok they were a bit dry anyway, im still selling last weeks... Never again did we relent and buy any doughnuts..

I wont go on to explain what other delicacies i inadvertantly purchased, u english ladies want nice herbs ? u make nice tea with my herbs!!
i need not go on but i slept for nearly two days after the herb tea incident..So So niave
June 12, 2006 02:42PM
i loved the waiter kelly
dianne james
June 12, 2006 03:37PM
FIONA, will certainly be looking out for some of that herbal tea, a two day sleep sounds lke heaven to me. 17 sleeps to go.
Gill
June 12, 2006 06:33PM

Oh Fiona you made me chuckle re the incident with the teabags, I agree Diane sounds like heaven I would be tempted if I was going for two weeks. Perhaps I'll get them for when I come home,take them then and who knows I may wake up and the washing and ironing for 6 may be done!............................ in my herbal dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!
fiona
June 12, 2006 07:19PM
I think its just a blessing i didnt get stopped at customs with my new found herbs!!

Wish it would cool down a bit, trying to think what i want to pack when its the humid is really tiresome
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login