hire car - where to go?

hire car - where to go?

Posted by adrianomeara 
hire car - where to go?
February 27, 2006 09:26PM
Hi,

We are going to Polichrono early September, and although we're only going for a relaxing week we may want to hire a car. It will only be for 1-2 days at most.

Where do people suggest we go? I think we'd like to go to the waterpark one day, but would imagine there are excursions to there easy enough. I don't want to have to drive too far but dont mind up to a couple of hours at the most.

Finally are tehy easy enough to hire there? or would I be better looking on t'internet before we go?

Cheers
Jane
Re: hire car - where to go?
February 28, 2006 08:42AM
Hi, I would suggest if you are going for a relaxing week that you limit your car excursions to Kassandra and Sithonia peninsula. You can easily get trips to the waterpark and other historical sites, but these take up valuable days.

On Kassandra, where you are staying. There are lots of villages to visit. I am not sure ifyou have children and what activities you are looking for, but in Hanioti there are plenty of tourist type shops, games arcades for children and bars and restaurants, also snack bars. It is a lively resort, but in sept will be a bit quieter.

There is also Pefkohori, Kriopigi (nice coffee and crepes shop owned by our Greek friendsMorfy and Sakis, called Sweet Coffee Shop), Kallithea which is quite a busy and I personally think expensive place to drink. Further down there is Paliori which is an old Greek village with nothing but tavernas, but nice if you like some nice reasonablypriced Greek food. Villa Stassa taverna at Loutra is a nice taverna with fantastic views, and you can go down the steps to the rocky outcrop beach and swim from there, nice for snorkelling. Nea Skioni, nice fishing village and not so touristy as some of the other resorts as it is mainly Greek tourists there, although a few more Europeans go each year. Driving on you pass through other villages, and if you go inland there are some nice areas of woodland, and in September they could be various tents up and around in the hills where they are collectingthe honey from the bees. You will see if you drive around the woodlands lots of beehives.

Fourka old village is in the hills, Fourka beach is where the tourist apartments etc are. Then if you drive on past Kallithea towards Thessaloniki there are other small villages to explore. Drive down towards Sani and there is a nice beach, turn left at the bottom of the road and you drive through the trees and lots of beehives, but loads of nice houses and you can drive down various pathways to the beach, but depends on what car you hire ! Mind the underside.

Hope this helps. All the places I mentioned have nice beaches (apart from Palliori, but that is near Paradise Beach). We do not have children so I cant really help with that side of it, but if you like food, scenery, beaches and the sea all the places I have mentioned should be acceptable.

To drive around Kassandra takes about one hour with no stops, so it is not huge.

If you drive to Sithonia peninsula, the scenery is even more spectacular as they have not developed it as much as Kassandra. There are loads of small bays and beaches where you will be the only ones there. Nice villages, one nearest to drive to is Nea Maramaras. Lots of nice shops, restaurants etc. You can drive all the way round, but if you stop for lunch and say a couple of hours at a beach it will take you all day.

Nea Moudania, about half an hours drive from Polichrono is a typical Greek working town. Many may say it is scruffy, but you tak eit for what it is, Greek and not touristy, and with very friendly people and some nice shops if you explore around it. It has a large market, not sure what day offhand, perhaps a Wed? Kerry might reply to this as she got some good bargains last year at this market.

If you want any more info let me know. Perhaps someone else can help on the childrens side if you have any.

Cheers
Jane
Jane
February 28, 2006 08:43AM
Oh, and cars are really easy to hire. We always hire from the airport, but Kriopigi cars is highly recommended, cheap and good quality, and really friendly. They also deliver to the airport.

Or you can book before you go. Loads available but not as cheap as some other destinations.
February 28, 2006 12:30PM
Hiya Polichrono good choice for relaxing break,still plenty of shops bars & restaurants but not too manic.As Jane said best to limit car hire for maybe just one day(seems this is what you were planning anyway),you can explore most of the peninsula in that time then maybe if you find somewhere you really wouldn't mind revisiting then hire again on maybe your last day!The waterpark is pretty close to Thessaloniki,you'll see it as you're on the coach from the airport,it's not too far to drive really but if you haven't been to Greece before it's worth bearing in mind that the Greeks aren't always the carefullest drivers so i'd suggest you book a trip there with your rep or from an independant tour place(these can be found all over the resorts,usually near exchange places & can sometimes work out cheaper)I'd recommend Kriopigi cars too(Kriopigi is next resort up from Polichrono,inside the Akropolis restaurant)you can either get bus or taxi there or if you put kriopigi cars in the search box you should find a thread with Sakis e-mail on it!Moudania market definately worth a visit,some good bargains to be found & it's on a Wednesday!Any more info required,post & ask!

smiling smiley
March 03, 2006 12:17PM
Thanks for your help so far.

We have no children - maybe that's what the honeymoons for? ;-)

I have drove in Zante before, and found that to be no real problem. Not worried at all about other drivers (it's not my car! just kidding).

The only place that was a bit scary to drive was in Benidorm, but that's just like any big city over here with the added attraction of 3 million scooters cutting in and out! But once out of the city it was fine.

I must admit I thought Kassandra was a lot bigger-looks it on the map. So a day round trip sounds really good.

Thanks again.

Adrian
Jane
March 03, 2006 03:08PM
Yes Kassandra is bigger if you look at it as a whole peninsula, but remember you are based at Polichrono and by a trip round the peninsula Kerry and I mean around from Kallithea. Up until Kallithea there are only odd side roads off to places. It is only when you get to Kallithea that you can go around the coastline on both sides. Hope that clarifies it !

Have a great time
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login