March 06, 2006 02:41PM
hi jane

why dont u use puter to translate greek to english lol will be a lot quicker

[babelfish.altavista.com]

ill get me coat smiling smiley
JAne
Re: Please remember the animals of Greece this year
March 06, 2006 03:53PM
Thanks Jeff ! But is it a very long article and would take me ages to type into the programme. Also, it is not that easy you know ! It doesnt translate exactly and you know what Greek is like, I mean I have done the first paragraph and it could be taken about thirty different ways !

Cheers, I will try to get on with emailing Athens News for help, but at the moment I am job searching to pay for all these hols.
Jane
jeff
March 06, 2006 08:17PM
he he he hi jane

was kinda tongue in cheek when i wrote that

but i do understand how difficult it would have been to do

hope u get sorted soon

yamas

Jeff
March 06, 2006 10:07PM

hello my friends

here you can sign a petition FOR Rebecca with your Mail-Adress :

[www.act-of-justice.org]

PLEASE DO IT VERY QUICKLY ! and please be friendly !!!

and send this link to many people who have the same mind for animals.

Thanks

greetings from the cold and snowy Tirol

Peter

Jane
March 07, 2006 04:19PM
Please everybody, go to the link that Peter has provided and sign this petition. Look also at the photos of the animal centre. Halkidiki is great for holidays, but you must all be aware of the lack of care for strays over there, and it would help enormously if you could all sign this petition.

I love Greece, Halkidiki in particular, but anything that can be done to help the animals, and this lady Rebecca who cares for them in Poligiros, can only be good.

Think ahead to your beautiful holiday in Halkidiki, and then give some thought to the animals over there that you will encounter.

Please sign now !
kerrie
March 08, 2006 08:56PM
Hi jane, I have a greek friend i will see if i can get it translated

wrightkerrie@yahoo.co.uk.

Is this web site set up yet Jeff. if there is anything I can do to help please let me know. this is a subject close to my heart. id love to help
Jane
March 15, 2006 04:47PM
Just a reminder as you are all preparing for your long awaited holidays in the beautiful Halkidiki area. Just keep an eye on the strays please, and look after any you feel able to during the summer months. Thank you
carly provan-politi
March 19, 2006 05:25PM
Well, iam too a british lady that came to live on a greek island some 3 years ago now. And never have i witnessed such well excepted acts of animal abuse and murder. Since then i vowed to ddicate my life to helping them. I take all sick and injured animals i find to my local private vet. I feed large amounts of stray dogs and cats daily, and even have 2 uk vets coming out in a few months to help me sterilize as many as can catch. I have many at my gardens that have Lieshmania, and i dont euthanise them, i treat them and they all are doing so well. Its such a shame that this happens asi beleive Greece to be such a beautiful country. For many months now ive been rehoming many of the dogs i find. But only 4months ago i came across an illegal slaughtehouse here and if i could only tell you how discusting, how dirty and how the animals are beaten outside it would make you cry. No stunning of any of the animals takes place, and Bulls, cows, goats, sheep and pigs are all just cut at the throats and left to bleed to death... Yes, ie been to the local authorities but there argument is they have not money to train the staff or for the instruments that help releive there pain... I fight every single day and just know that it was my destiny to help them. I publish animal abuse stories in the greek papers and recently got 2 greek men arrested as i had witnesses an illegal pitbull dog fight right outside the illegal slaughterhouse here... If anyone would like to get in touch, then feel free to drop me an email... And its nice that people out there on these greek islands also care. Carly
Jane
March 19, 2006 05:46PM
Oh dear Carly, it is much worse than I had ever imagined. I lived in Halkidiki for three years and although I never saw outright cruelty I was just so upset at the way strays dogs were treated. Also donkeys left out in the midday sun still with packs on their backs and no water. When I mentioned this to a Greek person they said "well, they obviously manage without the water and shade as they are still here"! Just a little thought to the welfare of animals would be such a benefit to Greece as I know a lot of people who will not go there because of this cruelty.

I love the Greek people and way of life, I have great Greek friends, but I do despair at the lack of feelings towards their animals.

Have you signed the petition yet, mentioned in previous post. If you could sign this and pass the message onto likeminded people.

And for the authorities to say they cannot afford to train staff or have the pain relief available, I know from other people that the Greek government gets a lot of money from the EU for animal welfare and it is about time they started to use it for that very purpose.

What is leishmania by the way?

Keep up the good work, i do my best when I am over there. Luckily I have not witnessed an illegal slaughterhouse, and I think you are very brave to do what you are doing.
March 20, 2006 09:32PM
Hello

i try to find an adress to write to the greek omdudsman here :

[www.synigoros.gr]

i don´t find, please can anybody help ?

mfg Peter
jeff fourkas mad dog man
March 22, 2006 09:52PM
[www.synigoros.gr]

Balu it worked for me
please try again if not i can get any infomation for you

Jeff
March 24, 2006 07:00AM
The highlight of this week :

It is terrible, because now begins the vacation-time in greece, and some people begin to telephone Rebecca for helping poor animals. But it is her not allowed to help........

3 days before Jimmy S****** (The man of Thessaloniki, who notified Rebecca at the police) killed one dog in a place in Thessaloniki with an axe, and stole 2 dogs from the place there. The problem is, that this action wasn´t seen direct from anybody. The woman, who found the killed dog was so shoked, that she finished immediately her job there.

I know this stories are unbelievebable, but it´s true.

Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2006 04:42PM by Nikos.
Jane
March 24, 2006 09:40AM
Come on everybody who reads this site. You enjoy your holidays in Halkidiki, a beautiful place. You probably have good Greek friends there, we do. BUT please spare a thought for the dogs, and bear in mind that there are bad people the world over and it appears this S***** although Greek is a bad person.

Please go to the link and sign the petition. Please also let Balu know of any cruelty you may come across, via email.

We MUST do something. We all enjoy our holidays in this beautiful part of Greece, but please just give a little thought to the animals that are suffering. As tourists we must protest at this kind of treatment and make it known that we know about it and deplore it.

Please help, Balu has gone to a lot of trouble to get help, lets help him now and the animals of Greece.

Enjoy your holidays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2006 04:43PM by Nikos.
March 24, 2006 11:24AM

Thanks Jane

I also like greece. I began to make holidays in this area 17 years before. And we were happy, that we found Rebecca. Last year we found a very sick (near dead) dog in our camping. we brought him to Rebecca, and she made a very very beautiful dog of him.....

Peter
Jane
March 25, 2006 12:55PM
Carly, how are you doing with your work? Whereabouts in Greece do you live? If we visit your particular island would love to meet you, and we go every year to Greece, hoping either 2007 or 2008 to come over again for 8-10 months. This year we thought we might go to Tinos as well as Halkidiki.

Would love to know where you are, you can send me your contact details to jane@onecal.co.uk if you prefer not to advertise your whereabouts on this website, understandable if you are having problems with the authorities over these poor animals.

Keep up the good work, and please do contact me.

Jane
March 26, 2006 09:01PM

LOOK AND READ THE OPINIONS !!!!

very very good !!!!

[www.act-of-justice.org]

Peter
jeff fourkas mad dog man
April 06, 2006 04:50PM
and this one
Jane
April 06, 2006 05:32PM
Why does Samaras name keep disappearing? People need to know about this man, as they also know about the good lady Rebecca?

Thanks, Jane
jaq
April 11, 2006 08:38PM
i was looking for holidays in halkidiki and came across this about the animals.i am an animal lover and seen stray dog on corfu and santorini but what iv read about on halkidiki makes me feel sick and feel unable to go for holidays there ,i would spend my whole time worrying and fretting about the dogs.i love greece and its islands and the laid back way of life but i am amazed at how little thought the greeks have for animals,(obviously not all of them)on corfu the dogs didnt seem reely under nourished but obviously didnt have homes and on santorini a dead dog was left led in the road for days and we fed several dogs and a pack of 5 abandoned puppies,it is so upsetting.why isnt something being done about this awful man everyone is on about!!i was so much looking forward to going to halkidiki,but fear i will have to go else where.
Jane
April 11, 2006 09:59PM
Please go to Halkidiki. We have been going over 30 years. Yes there does seem to be a problem with this man in Thessaloniki, but not going to Halkidiki will not alter this. It is a beautiful place, and has some really lovely people. There are bound be be some who are cruel, look at the statistics of the RSPCA here to see how cruelty is prevalent here in the UK.

It is not only Greece either, or Halkidiki in particular. Look at strays anywhere in the world. There has to be people who care and try to help, as in Rebecca, and we need to support her in this.

We have not seen outright cruelty in Halkidiki. We have seen an uncaring attitude to the strays which lets face it are only there because they have been abandoned in the first place. But there are a lot of Greek people who do try to help these animals. And there are also a lot of ex pats living there who help. There is one lady married to a Greek whom we know, and she gets strays neutered and rehomed. So there is hope, and having been to many Greek islands, it is no worse in Halkidiki than on those islands.

Remember what you saw in Santorini and Corfu was during your holiday. You did not see the majority of the problem, and you would never know about the problem in Halkidiki if you had not read about it on these boards. It is not that obvious. It happens all over Europe.

If you go, please enjoy Halkidiki enjoy the lovely Greek people, and help whatever animals you come across during your holiday. My thoughts are that if I can help during my holidays, as many tourists do, then the animals have at least a good six months. What else can you do.

There are lots of things I hate about the way animals are treated all over the world, but to put this in perspective think about the current seal cull in Canada. That is cruel, barbaric and inhumane and is governed by greed and commerce.

The problems with strays worldwide is that nobody really wants them and they do breed and create problems. This is not their fault, but at least it is not a commercial cull taking place.

The only other thing I would say, is please keep reminding the Greeks about animal welfare. Sign the petitions, help the animals, say when you disagree with something. Something has to change in the future as Greece is part of the EU and needs to look at this problem. We as part of the EU need to keep reminding them that we are aware of the problems, but we must not be self opiniated as we too have problems here in the UK with cruelty and neglect to animals that are owned and are not strays.

Hope this puts some clarity on the situation.

And just in case you should think otherwise, I love dogs, cats, donkeys, seals, dolphins, horses....etc.etc.etc. I just want to work with countries to help them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login