Kostas Apartments - Polichrono

Posted by Chris 
Chris
May 17, 2003 09:19AM
Hi All,

have read all the reports about Polichrono and it sounds fantastic..i`m going with my fiancee on 29th May for a couple of weeks...Staying at the Kostas apts..has anybody stayed there and can tell me about them..also wheer the bst places to eat and drink are..

Also how easy is it to get to the other villages!! can you walk or is it a taxi ride!!

Love to hear from anyone who is going on these dates as well..always good to meet new people.

Cheers
Chris
T.BONE TOPP
Re: Kostas Apartments - Polichrono
May 17, 2003 08:01PM
HEY CHRIS,WERE GOING TO THE KOSTAS APARTMENTS,IN AUGUST ,FOUR GENERATIONS OF ONE FAMILY,COULD YOU FIND OUT THE WEB ADDRESS FOR THE APARTMENTS,AND ALSO SUSS OUT SOME GOOD WATERING HOLES...........CHEERS MICK
Chris
June 15, 2003 12:14AM
Hi Mick,

Just come back from Polichrono and the KOstas apts....although the owner/manager is a right grump olf git, its ok because you can take the piss out of him because he doesnt speak much english....a really nice guy behind the bar, who also doubles up as the waiter,handyman,receptionist!! he does everything...anyway the apts are fantastic, definatley one of the best in Polichrono...very clean and well equipped, the pool although small is excellent and just what you need for all the family!!

The place is excellently located only 5 mins from the beach..you go down a main hill straight out of the apts and the main front is there..lots of Restaurant come bars...the coktail,place towards the bottom..you will see it as it just does drinks (cocktails) and looks like a beach bar..is superb..only 3 euros foir a big cocktail and great measures

lots of nice places to eat and drink..although everyine reccomends the tulip.I personally didnt particularly like it and then main restaurants on the front are much better..i would suggest trying them all as they are just as good as each other....the mussels are amaing and alos the sea bass if you like fish!!! also a place called the viva pasta steak house...its a bar at the bottom and a restaurant on top..good views and great steaks and Pizzas..about 10 euros for a steak...but fantastic.

On the beach , which is a mix of sand and shail..although is great..very clean and the sea is so clean..although very salty!!!

The 3 lions pub does a karoki on a Sat night if your in to that..although a little more expensive but great for watching the England games!!!

The Rep at Kostas Is Chris..a Greek/Aussie guy who is really nice...when your there just mention me to him...just say that youhave had e-mails from a guy about polichrono and does he remember a guy who came back in june and slipped on the floor and got Ouzo(a local alcoholic drink) all over him!!!! it was during the BBQ...which is good but you need a few to go to have any fun!! He will surely remember me!! AHHHH

but definately go on the sun splash..excellent time!!!

anyway hopefully have some piccies developed soon..only got back on Thursday..so once i get them back will send you them by e-mail

and if I think of anything else will let you know

oh actuallty just thought of something...go to hanioti for a change...little bit more liveier and more bars....and also watersports..

cheers
Chris
Chris
June 15, 2003 12:15AM
forgot to mentiont he guys name behind the bar is Alex!!!
Amy
July 03, 2003 09:45AM
Just stayed at Kostas Appartments, also called 'Hotel Royal'. Not much to do there but plenty to do in the town which is just situated down the road. People are very friendly..especially Alex the bar man! (please say hi to him from Lucy and Amy 'sisters' because we didnt get a chance to say goodbye!!)
Beach is wonderful..sea very warm and clear.
Supermarket down the road is brill for everything you need...try the local drink Ouzo..haha!
We recommend eating at the restaurants along the front..they were very tasty and the meals wernt bad either!!
Beware of the roads..the drivers are totally mad!
Well if anyone wants anymore info feel free to email me
Have fun!
Suzy
March 23, 2004 09:41PM
Hi there,
me and a friend are off to the Kostas at the beginning of June. We weren't sure of the place, never been but sounded good and was v cheap!!

From what I've read so far it sounds very nice indeed, also looking forward to meeting the grumpy manager!!

Can anyone tell us about any other goods places to visit or things to do?

Looking forward to a great holiday, hope iot lives up to what I've read... will report on return!
sakis
March 24, 2004 08:14PM

Operator and Date: JMC - July 2003

Opinion submitted in Aug 2003 by : 50, 35, 16, 14

Resort Rating: Excellent

Accommodation Rating: Very Good

My/Our Holiday Opinion:

The accomodation was a 2 bedroomed apartment, excellent, clean and well maintained. Cooking facilities were basic (as you would expect in greece) but this was not a problem as we ate out most of the time. Pool bar offered some basic light snacks and drinks. Pool was OK with sufficient sunbeds and chairs.

The resort was clean and fairly quiet but with plenty of tavernas and bars to choose from. For a busier atmosphere, hanioti is only a short taxi ride away. A well stocked (if a little pricey) supermarket is just 100 yards from the apartments with many familiar brands. The beach is clean and long, with a little shingle, and the sea usually calm.

Only one word of caution about the area, only hire a car if you are very brave, the locals driving is appauling!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operator and Date: JMC - June 2003

Opinion submitted in July 2003 by : Karen - Midlands (32,31)

Resort Rating: Very Good

My/Our Holiday Opinion:

I holiday with a friend of mine, leaving my boyfriend at home.We wanted a holiday somewhere quiet with nice places to eat and nice people around.Not lots of drunken teenagers and loud discos. We got what we wanted.
The Kostas apartments are very nice with small kitchen that does what you need. But no grill. Hairdryers in the bathroom.Clean sheets and towels. Bar man Alex is a bit mad but nice.Short walk down the hill to a thin beach set in front of cafes and bars. We went to the beach everyday, hired 2 sunbeds and a brolly. Did'nt understand the people who did'nt move from the pool.

The view across the sea of the most crystal clear blue, green is only a 5 minute walk. Can feel alot further on the way back as there is a hill, but its not that steep.
We travelled around the time of the Greek bank holiday, as we did to this area last year, the beaches and resturants got very busy, but the atmosphere was fantastic, surrounded by greek families enjoying there time on the beach.Then tuesday came and it was back to being very quiet. This does not mean that there are no bars there are they, but at the time of year we went, not that busy. It is a Greek holidaymakers resort and the resturants cater for the fact that the greeks seem to eat late, so the resturants get busy later.A good bar we found was on the front, don't know what it was called but it had a sign like a water melon.

We found it was a clean resort and has everything you need for a quiet relaxing holiday. However if you want somewhere a little more lively then take a trip to Hanioti which is only a few euros.

We found two fantastic resturants
One in Polichrono - Akrogiali which is down a side street, so you may have to ask where it is. Lari is the head wiater and he makes you feel at home. This is not a traditional greek resturant but a sofisticated eating house, No chips with everything, but for the same price as somewhere that has plastic chairs and loud music.You normally get a free drink or something like that with each meal. We went there 3 times.
The other we descovered last year in Hanioti - Resturant Lesse off the main square. Traditional greek food that we just had to make the trip to Hanioti from Polichrono for.
Learn a few words of Greek before you go. It's not that hard, and it is much appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operator and Date: JMC May 2003

Opinion submitted in June 2003 by : Mrs Howard (39,37,14,12,6)

Accommodation Rating: Poor

My/Our Holiday Opinion:

Polichrono is a lovely quiet clean resort with lots of excellent places to eat and drink,however,the Kostas appartments (unless you were in the new block which was excellent) leave a lot to be desired. We were in the old block across the road and these were dirty, damp,the beds were hard,shower didn`t work,no hot water,not enough crockery. The pool is very small for amount of appartments and there are very few sun loungers.If you are in the new block very good,old block good luck! I would never stay here again but would definately visit Ploichrono again.

Operator and Date: JMC - June 2002

Opinion submitted in July 2002 by : Martin Pick - Skegness (39, 32, 3, 1)

Resort Rating: Very Good

My/Our Holiday Opinion:

When we arived at the accommodation everything was well organised, my family and iI was led straight to our appartment which was in the one bedroomed block, very clean and well presented with excelent bathroom with a hair dryer. Main room had tv and double bed, bedroom had two single beds good sized wardrobe. We was on the ground floor so the balony was slightly belowe grass level which was excelent with having two young children, this area was away from the pool so kids could play without us having to worry to much. The swimming pool was cleaned every day and was walm, it had a shallow end of 1.2m and a deap end of 2.5m. Pool bar was ok but we didn't use it very much as we ate out in the resort mainly. To get into town u had to cross the main road but there are trafic light there so its not to bad. There is one main street down to the seafront with a few eating places but we didn't try mainy of these, along the seafront there was plenty of places to eat some having high chairs for the baby we tryed most of these and they all served good food, the place we liked most was called The Summer Garden this restorant was of one of the side streets it catered for children as well with good sized portions one doing both of our kids and they looked after us well. the beach was clean not very wide though but had sun beds at 8 euros a day. Polichrono is nice family resort with a few kids rides not many bars though but Hanioti is a lot more lively and only being 5km down the road cheap by taxi to get there about 5 euros. Another good resort to visit is Pefkohori.

My family and I had a grate holiday here and would consider coming back again.

Operator and Date: JMC - May/June 2002

Opinion submitted in July 2002 by : Clare, Phil, Kathryn, Marcus (34, 35, 6 & 3)

Accommodation Rating: Good

My/Our Holiday Opinion:

Accommodation was 1 bed appt in the old block which was clean, with balcony but no view. (The accommodation in the new block was excellent). The old block was a little bit neglected - we didn't have enough crockery for all four of us, nothing matched and kitchenette was VERY basic with no hot water. However, it was cleaned daily to a very high standard and it had a very good shower - with hot water!!

There was a very nice swimming pool but no really shallow end for non-swimmers. Pool bar served very basic food - hotdog & chips, omellete, cheese toasties and was overpriced for drinks. BBQ night was very average.

The resort was really excellent for our requirements - we ate out somewhere different every night, usually along the seafront whilst the kids played on the beach. Only bad meals we had were at the fast food restaurants along the main road leading down to the beach.

Lovely beach but on our last day there were jelly fish in the sea!

I would definately stay at the Kostas Apartments again ONLY if I could be guaranteed a room in the new blocks - they were fantastic!

There is no entertainment for children here at all - no mini-discos, playgrounds, etc - but mine were happy with the pool and beach.

Maureen
May 13, 2004 09:20AM
Thanks for the report - just one thing - how steep is the hill
Ben and Liz
May 26, 2004 05:34PM
Me and my girlfriend both 19 are going to the kostas in july 2004 and were just wandering what the the difference is between those newer aparments and the older ones also are the new 1s called the sunny side? We we re looking for a holiday thats not full of yobish piss heads! but we dnt want it too quiet. Can any one help us at all would be much appreciated

thanx
Dave Devlin
August 13, 2004 01:35AM
Hi All
Just got back from Kostas Apts, Polichrono. What can I say? Had a fantastic 2 weeks there, like the messages say Kostas is a grumpy old sod but he's generally ok, if you cut him some slack he will treat you likewise.
Alex is generally a pretty cool guy, had a few late nights chatting with him, girls his english is better than he lets on - be warned, he's likes to thing he's a bit of a casanova.
Kostas likes the bar area to be cleared around 1.30am because the locals moan a bit - we had the police around at 5am but they were cool about it.
NO FUN ALLOWED IN THE POOL - no balls or inflatables, balls get the kids rowdy - this annoys Kostas to no end - we had loads of fun with it.
Inflatables are banned in a few of the resorts because of previous accidents and a law was apparently passed by the police.
Watch the kids for ear infections from the pool - don't let them spent too much time in the pool, water is treated every night but pool is not thoroughly cleaned out, you can see a stain around the rim, quite a few of the familys kids and some adults went home with bad ears, mine daughter is in bed crying now with it, and one of the adults had to go to the doctor's for daily injections which meant he couldn't drink - not a happy chappy.
You may find an orange rubber dinghy lying around - I left it behind, use at your leisure, just don't fall asleep in the sea in it like I did and floated away for 2 hours, nice swim back though - one eye behind keeping a look out for sharks, the other trying to figure where I was going.
Apartments are clean and comfortable - advise to hire a fan from Kostas (10 Euros per week) because the rooms are very hot at night - don't leave the door open, the mosquitos get in, some of the apartments do have mesh screens, some don't.
As for places to eat, I personally recommend Billy's Land and next door, Bookies, food is excellent. Breakfast at Billy's was better than most places in England.
Beach is thin and shingle, bus ride to Kallithea is only 1.20 and the beach is sand, you can walk into the sea further than you can throw a stone and it is still shallow enough to stand up. You can do Jetskiing here too (30 Euro for 15 mins), drinks from the beach girl are expensive (can of coke is 2.50 Euro). 2 sunlounger and 1 umbrella cost ya 7 Euro for the day.
The sun was extremely hot - 2nd degree burns by the second day (didn't use sunblock for the whole holiday) on my shoulders but I like the feeling - everyone thought I was strange - got a great tan now though.
Bars are good, favourites were 3 lions (games room downstairs for the kids, with pool table and ping pong) and Down Under Rock Bar at the end of the beach (down main street, turn right, go to end) for the rock music, fast pool table (got a slant, don't get caught out) and awesome trike outside.
If you need a doctor there, would recommend going to supermarket on the corner, turn right and it's the second doctor on the right, just before the church, he speaks english (Canadian or American) and the injection guy said he was very helpful - don't forget your insurance and E111.
Alll in all, absolutely fantastic time was had, spent absolute fortune, got some great deals on clothes in Fashion FREE - haggle!!!
Happy holidays, anyone goes, please tell Alex - Sorry to hear about your sister and I'll maybe see him again some time from Dave.
Cheers
Simon & Shell
November 13, 2004 09:54PM
Hi all we are going to kostas apartments beginning of May, Just wondered if anyone has found a chinese restaurant over there. could u please let us know as we cant survive the week without chinese!

Are the rumors true about the greek driving as we are driving from the airport to the hotel !. Not looking forward to it as only 1 of us can drive he he.

Does anyone know what sort of water sports are on during the beginning of May.

Look forward to hearing off anyone who can help

Simon & Shell
Nigel
November 14, 2004 06:22PM
Nothing in Polichrono, but nip down to Hanioti and there is 2. One just of the square and the other at the Olympic Kosmar.
sharon mcneill
November 17, 2004 08:51PM
hello you will like it in polochrono i have been there the last 2 years its not to lively if you want that you just go into hanioti. I maybe going back in may myself with my sister but i was told it was being taken over by thompson but cannot find it could you please let me know who you got your holiday from and me and my sister may join you for a drink one night while you are there. If you dont mind that is. Thanks sharon.
sharon mcneill
November 17, 2004 09:08PM
sorry forgot to tell you we took a taxi from the aiport the drivers are mad but not as many as our roads. Also say hi to alex for me just incase i am not there in may he is a nice man but a bit of a flirt. We still talk on the phone. Thanks.
Simon & Shell
November 21, 2004 06:22PM
Hi we got ours out of the thompson greece brochure and booked with co-op travel. we fly out on the 4th of may, 1st time to halkidiki so looking forward to it.

Do u know anything about what water sports happen at that time of year and are there any water parks round and about polichrono?

Thanks
GAZ&KATH
January 21, 2005 12:56AM
just booked kostas apartments we go 2/5/05 , just beenreading review on place and see u r going same week as us never been before but av been told its a very nice place to go sounds great place lookin fwd to windin up manager and if we cant my 3 lads will hope to see u there gaz&kath
Karen
February 06, 2005 01:39PM
Hi Sharon

You may have already heard, but if not we have just booked with Thomsons on a self catering selection and one of our hotels is the Royal Kostas Apartments.

Hope you get booked up if you still fancy going back - its always good to hear that people want to return.
wayne molyneux
February 08, 2005 08:41AM
do u have to cross the main road the apartments because last year i stayedvilla panorama
Lorraine McGrath
February 08, 2005 02:22PM
Hi Chris,

Myself and my fella are off to Halkidiki - Polichrono - Royal Kosta Apartments too. We fly out on the 8th June 2005 for a week. Never been before so don' know what to expect. Would love to hear if you have heard anywhere good to go in Polichrono!!

Cheers
Lorraine
wayne molyneux
February 21, 2005 09:59AM
i their me and my wife and 2 girls aged 15 and 12 are going to the royal kostas apartments on the 20 of june for 2 weeks . last year we went to villa panarama we really enjoyed it .also loved pollichrono i would like to know where the royal kostas is sittuated
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login