Driving in Halkidiki

Christina
Driving in Halkidiki
February 24, 2005 01:48AM
Hi all, my reading says that you shouldn't drive in Athens or Thessaloniki unless you have quick reflexes, nerves of steel and a death wish. But what about Halkidiki? What the opinion about renting a car just for getting around the peninsula?
sjs
Re: Driving in Halkidiki
February 24, 2005 01:28PM
Not at all. Athens is fine and a lot less trouble than people might imagine.
Sarah
February 24, 2005 02:35PM
If you are used to driving in Greece, then it is fine. But if you are used to other drivers being careful, then you'll be lost.
A lot of drivers speed (that’s a regular thing) and don't care much about the rules. Especially be careful when driving at night because 80% drivers are drunk in holiday season.
For just getting around the peninsula though, I believe you'll be fine, just as long as you are careful and have in mind that the other guy will not necessarily follow the traffic rules. And don't drive at night.
Roy
February 26, 2005 09:48AM
I wouldn't do it at the weekend as everyone from the city comes down so it is crowded and they do party and all use mobiles when driving
Christina
February 28, 2005 02:09PM
Thanks for the advice! This forum is a wonderful thing :-)
Jane
March 01, 2005 06:19PM
Hi, we have been going to Halkidiki for over 25 years, and we lived there for three. In fact as soon as we are able we are selling up and renting over there full term so we can just visit the UK.

I believe therefore I have a good knowledge of the driving! The driving on the peninsula is OK as long as you realise that the Greeks think they are the only driver on the road! They overtake, undertake and if the traffic lights change to green and you are one second late be prepared for some horn tooting. Having said that, the most problems are at weekends when the Thessaloniki people come for the weekend, and in high season from mid July to mid August, and then usually only around the Kallithea to Hanioti area. Ifyou go around the further point of the peninsula it is fairly quite most of the time.

I have also driven in Thessaloniki and it is not as bad as you might imagine. I certainly would not drive in London, but can cope with Thessaloniki. There are really only three main roads to drive on as they are one way, so apart from the high volume of traffic and mad parking (they park anywhere they can), it really is not too bad.

Good luck, we love it both in Halk and Thess, which is why we are basing ourselves there asap. And we have found super Greek friends.

Try to visit Villa Stassa a lovely Greek taverna at Loutra right at the end of the peninsula, not many European tourists go there and it has beautiful views over the sea as well as good food at non tourist prices. It is not cheap, but then Greece is not cheap anymore, but it is certainly cheaper than the UK and you get good portions so dont order too much
Christina
March 01, 2005 06:34PM
Thanks Jane, we'll heed the advice. Hopefully, we'll get our rental on the outskirts of Salonkia or even in Kallithea. We'll be staying in Skioni so we'll certainly give Villa Stassa a try.
Jane
March 02, 2005 06:12PM
Hi Christina, I have just got a quote from Auto Europe which is very good. On line. We usually drive from the airport and back as we are very familiar with the area, but as we are staying at the Makedonia Palace in Thessaloniki for the last few days where we do not need a car, we are going to get our Greek friends to pick us up at the airport and pick the car up in Kallithea where we are staying with one of their relatives. It worked out cheaper as we didnt want airport to airport. Have a good time. When do you go? Skioni is lovely, we rented our house in Mola Kaliva for threeyears, so Skioni was the local village, The small supermarket (cant remember the name) is just so friendly. Sometimes when we were on the way back from somewhere and decided to have a BBQ last minute we used to call there for our wine with no money available ! No problem, avrio (tomorrow) was always the cheery reply and of course we always paid avrio so we never had any problems. It is just such a nice friendly and Greek village. we liked the other villages for visits, but for long term proper Greekness Skioni was lovely. Also try Paliori, not touristy at all although some do venture there, but a lovely little square with some nice food, again at non tourist prices.
Christina
March 02, 2005 11:35PM
I'll check with Auto Europe. I'm glad to hear Skioni is nice. I was in Greece more than a decade ago and spent one afternoon in Halkidiki, so I know nothing about it. But we've chosen it as a vacation spot this year to have a family reunion. My father and his brothers and families (Greek/American) are meeting up with our Thessaloniki relatives for the last week of May. For several in the group, it's a first trip to Greece, so there is much excitement. I'm looking forward to getting in touch with my "greekness". I'm not sure how my 99% American 9 year old daughter is going to cope with it though :-) She's already in a panic about the food.
Jane
April 23, 2005 05:21PM
Hi Christina, I have emailed you seperately. I somehow lost the ability to find this thread again ! Now I have your email and the link I found it. Must be my age. Have a great time. Food, she must find something she likes I am sure. The gyros are the Greek fast food as I am sure you know, but they are at least real meat and very very cheap ! Bye for now, Jane
Christina
April 23, 2005 05:44PM
I couldn't find the thread either. So much easy just to scan my inbox and send off the mail. I got your email about the tavern. We'll be sure to look for it and we will mention that you referred us. We'll mention it also at the supermarket you mentioned in an ealier thread.

Isn't it amazing thing that a girl in North Carolina can get information about a cafe in Greece from a woman who lives in England? I love the internet! Thanks for the post!
Jane
April 24, 2005 04:48PM
Hello again ! Just one more thing, if you can get to Kriopigi, please call into the Glyko Cafe. It is owned by our very good friends Morfy and Sakis. Morfy is a really lovely person (we went to their wedding two years ago) and we keep in constant contact. We are friends of the whole family, so if you call in say you got their details from us, they will make you very very welcome. They serve, as the name says, sweets and coffees, as well as drinks and wines. They do lovely crepes, and as I say you will not be disappointed at their friendliness. Cheers, seven weeks to go for me. Jane
September 13, 2006 12:13PM
On the way back up to the airport on the coach on Monday, on the main dual carriageway up the peninsula, the coach driver started beeping his horn frantically, and everyone at the front was talking.....

...on the other side of the dual carriageway was an old couple, miding their own business, tootling along oblivious - IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS US!!

Fortunately it was quiet quiet at that time.
September 14, 2006 09:57AM
my family has always rented cars in greece. Driving in Halkidiki is easy and most often stress free. You just have to be alert when driving through twons as local drivers drive like they are the only ones on the road. apart from that issue it is very easy.
Elad
December 20, 2015 11:41AM
Hi Jane
read your comment and was wondering, based n you knowledge of Khalkidhiki.
what would be the best place to stay there for a week?
thanks in advanced
regards
Elad
Shvaid@hotmail.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login