Pefkhouri Village

Pefkhouri Village

Posted by John Pefkhouri 
Pefkhouri Village
May 07, 2009 02:10PM
Yeia Sas!!

Dear All,
I will be visiting Pefkhouri village and Halkidiki for the first time this weekend but have been unable to get much information from my visits to the internet.

Could anyone let us know of the best Tavernas / bars to visit in Pefkhouri with my family, we love to meet and talk tothe local Greek people whenever we go on holiday and a good greek atmosphere would be great and hopefully affordable given the rate of the euro. (Gasp)

Also are there any good coach / boat trips we can go on as a family (i.e. beaches, sites, greek nights etc.), kids activities etc.

Thank you to everyone who replies to this message and I hope you all get away and have a great holiday as soon as possible.

Efcharisto para poli.

John.
Re: Pefkhouri Village
May 07, 2009 04:10PM
When we were over there last year for the summer we used to go to Pefkochori occasionally for coffee and spinach pie. We found most of the beach bars and cafes were very expensive, although you do get a great view. In MHO the best cafes were those on the main road on the right hand side going towards Paliori. There were a couple, can't remember their names, but mostly frequented by the Greeks (which is why we went there in the first place). These places are so cheap for coffee, frappe and pies it is unbelievable!
May 07, 2009 05:38PM
Thanks Jane,
Given the value of the euro your advice will prove very useful. 'Maxims' and 'El Greco Taverna' (up a side street by the pier) have been mentioned because of the freindly staff but we will certainly have a look along the main road as you indicate.

Did you do much in the way of day trips or site seeing?

Regards,

John.
May 07, 2009 05:52PM
No really John, we have been going for so many years, we rented a house for two years til end last summer. So we usually just do our own thing. When we are living there we go to Sithonia sometimes to Vourvourous as we like it there, we go to Moudanea usually once a month but not on market day. We go to the Kassandrea market every week for food.

Sometimes we take a trip to an island, but that is not really an option for a holiday. We did go to Meteora last year and it was fantastic. We had our dog with us so we couldn't go in the monastaries, but we had ample sight of all of them and it was beautiful weather. We stayed over one night in Kalambaka. But I think you can get a day tour there from Halkidiki. It will be a long day mind you, but if you like that sort of thing it is good.

In the past we have been to Vergina but not sure if there is a trip there. The caves at Petralona were OK. We did some of the tours some 30 years ago - to Athos monastaries by boat (not bad, but you can't get that close), Alexander the Great (Pella) which I am not sure I have seen lately and Edessa waterfalls (lovely, but a long way). After that we tended to drive ourselves around and find places rather than do the tours.

I can certainly tell you some good places to visit round Kassandra or Sithonia if you are going to have transport. Good places to eat where it is mainly Greek tourists, good portions and reasonable prices. Let me know and I will send a PM.
Tanya
May 17, 2009 07:23AM
Hi Jane,

I'm going to Halkidiki in June with my mum and my sister.We are staying to the Royal Kostas Apartments...are there any islands you think is worth visiting near where we are?and do you know wich are the best beaches?We would like to find like an hidden beach...where there aren't loads of turists etc...
And wich are in your opinion the best tavernas?where food is good and possibly cheap cause we will be in 3...

Let me know when you can!
thanx
tanya
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login