The ugly side of Greece

The ugly side of Greece

Posted by Jane 
The ugly side of Greece
October 08, 2008 04:00PM
Oh how I wish I had not been aware of either of the two incidents.

On my last day in Halkidiki,after being there since March, I took my dog for a walk along the beach near Skioni. She had a swim and all was great until I walked back towards our rented house. Halfway along I saw a plastic bag at the edge of the sea with the handles tied. Curious, I looked inside and found a dead puppy, about a week old. Now I know this happens in Greece and I abhor anything like it, but to actually witness the act of some cold blooded ......!!.. (I am sure you know the word I mean) was so sad and I was crying both with rage and sadness at this awful act of cruelty.

Anyway, later in the day we went to say goodbye to our Greek friends in Skioni. On our way to their taverna we met one of them and he told us that one of the dogs he cared for near his home (I believe he has one dog of his own, and cares for two others who stay near to his house) had been battered to death the night before with a wooden stick and then left on top of the garbage bin for him to find. He was so upset, and so were we. Another act of cruelty.

This sort of thing goes on in Greece all the time. Whilst the UK is no saint, we at least have the RSPCA to act on the animals behalf. In Greece it seems nobody can do anything even when they know the person responsible for cruelty or poisonings. This has to change.

The only way for it to change is for education to children and through the church. It is important that all visitors to Greece make their views known to the Greek Tourist Board. At present they seem to think that there is no such problem in Greece, at least that is what their letter to me stated. They obviously hope that most tourists will not see anything like this. However as more and more ex pats move to Greece, or like us stay there for six months or so, then the evidence is there to see eventually.

Please act if you see anything like this. Take pictures and send them to the tourist board and the local mayor of the villages you stay in. Publicise anything bad you see.

Yes, I love Greece and most of the Greeks, but something has to be done about this and some organisation has to take responsibility.
Thomas
Re: The ugly side of Greece
October 10, 2008 07:56PM
That's a sad story. Unfortunately the same things happens probably all over the word. In spite of this, I can mention that the people I know in Halkidiki having dogs, take a very good care of them. The problem in my opinion is the stray-dogs with no owners. They can even get dangerous if you encounter a flock of these beasts while you're out walking alone. Then you better carry a stick and be prepared to use it if necessary. Why are not the Halkidiki-police doing anything?
Re: The ugly side of Greece
October 10, 2008 08:26PM
Hi Thomas, I too know many people in Halkidiki who take care of their dogs. I also know that strays can get dangerous when they get into packs but to be honest I have only ever encountered one problem with a pack of dogs and that was ten years ago.

Most strays are so grateful for a bit of food or fuss, and they are not dangerous at all. I was very careful this time in Greece as I had my own dog and my concern was for her safety, but all was OK. Unfortunately many stray dogs, and also dogs with collars (and homes?) seemed to disappear after a while, not sure what happened to them but it always worries me.

The police are not really interested, or that is what I have heard. There is no organisation like in the UK where the perpetuators of the cruelty can be taken to court and fined or imprisoned. Many villages have people in them who regularly poison/shoot/ill treat animals, but although most villagers know who they are they are reluctant to say anything for fear of reprisals against their own dogs/animals. It is a very sad world where there is no reliable organisation to help the dumb animals and I sincerely hope that in the near future this can change in Greece (and other Mediterranean countries who have similar problems).

I know this attitude existed in the long distant past mainly due to financial constraints and the fact that anything being fed had to earn its living, but surely in todays society that is long past but the need for education is obviously the important thing. The church should do more to encourage people to view animals as equally deserving of consideration as humans.

I think change is on the way, but I suppose for me it is just not happening quickly enough.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login