E-news on Halkidiki?

E-news on Halkidiki?

Posted by Thomas Pettersson 
Thomas Pettersson
E-news on Halkidiki?
October 07, 2008 09:11PM
Hi,
I think it would be very nice, interesting and useful if there was a news media about Halkidiki in english. Preferably it would be something WEB-based, e.g. on this site; halkidiki.com. . Just think if it was possible to read the monthly "Halkidiki News" (like Athens News), and I think It could be quit well financed by advertisements.

I wonder if there are more people that believe in the idea like I do...

BR
Thomas
Re: E-news on Halkidiki?
October 08, 2008 03:52PM
I agree, but if you did not know, the Athens News is under threat of closure or indeed if the appeals didnt work then it is closed already.

I also think it would be good to see all sides of Halkidiki. See my other post on animals.

Jane
Thomas
October 08, 2008 08:30PM
I did not know that. If Athens News is going to be closed down, it would be bad "news" for many people in Greece as well as abroad. Anyhow, I am quite confident that an english-spoken WEB-based info-paper focusing on Halkidiki would be a success. Why not publish it on this site (halkidiki.com)?
Jim
November 04, 2008 06:19PM
Once I translated some pages from Halkidikinews.gr and got shocked from the articles.

So I prefer to keep Halkidiki in my mind as a peaceful place with great beaches smiling smiley
November 05, 2008 11:07AM
That is a bit "ostrich" like though Jim. Don't you think that it is better to know and try to improve some things. I don't know what shocked you, for me it is the animals. But I would rather know and try to help than look through rose tinted spectacles. Things must change, not just in Greece, but all over the world, and the shame is that tourists are often sheltered from the truths.

Halkidiki is a great place with great beaches and stunning scenery, I agree totally. But if we want things to change anywhere including UK we have to speak up.

For me the pluses of living there were the weather, the friendly and welcoming people (mostly), the family unit mentality, the cheap fruit and veg, the beautiful scenery and beaches, the almost always blue sky, the beautiful clear sea and of course the gorgeous Greek food. Along with some very good Greek and English friends.

The minuses (for me), the treatment of animals, the litter (again, this needs to be addressed, I WANT people to go to Halkidiki, not be put off by their first sight of all the plastic bottles), and the driving standards which makes Greece (I think) the second most dangerous place on the roads in Europe.
Thomas
November 10, 2008 08:43PM
I got a little bit curious about what Jim found on the WEB-site...

In my point o view I also dislike the litter and the way of driving in Greece.

Sure Halkidiki looks like a paradise, but it is also populated by ordinary people, with drug-problems and all other kinds of problems as well of course, like everybody have. So I myself would not get shocked so easy...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login