Want to help the abandoned innocents...read on

Want to help the abandoned innocents...read on

Posted by caron 
Re: Want to help the abandoned innocents...read on
June 20, 2007 01:13PM
Hello Jonelle
The Julia apartments are off and away from the main road, going into the town, it has a long path up to the apartments.

Your backdrop is the woodland area, the footpath to the woods runs alongside.

They have a lovely clear swimming pool, and a small bar that serves snacks.

5 mins along the main road (no pavement) is a large yellow supermarket, open 7 days a week.

You have to cross over the main road to head towards the beach, which is only minutes away.

The bus stop, for the local bus, is at the entrance to the apartments.

Your apartments have no lift,or didn't when I stayed there 2005, so be prepared to carry those suitcases.

The apartments are on 3 floors, or maybe four, after 2 week lost count.

When you cross over the road there is a long straight road going down, follow it then you will see a sign for a Supermarket on a fence on a corner.

Go along this road, only a couple mins walk long.

Here you will come into an area with the Hotel Australia and Jimmy's Bar, Yamas bar, entrances to the beach are all around you, plus a couple of shops to book tours with.

Turn left at the Yamas bar (on the corner) and Iris cafe is just further along. This road will also lead you into the town square.

Ps: Yes, they are the ones in the pic. And thank you for looking out for them. xx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/06/2007 01:22PM by caron.
June 20, 2007 02:45PM
Joanne, if only this would work. There have already been many petitions and one recent one over the last year to help Rebecca another dog rescuer.

I am afraid it falls on deaf ears. IT shouldnt do, the Greek government should act responsibly but nothing ever seems to get done about these petitions. No responses, no reassurances, and still yet more problems. Look at the recent shipment of dogs from Greece that got stopped in Ancona. Come to think of it I never did hear the outcome of that fiasco.

So if the best way forward is to donate money to people like Julie who do such excellent work, and for tourists to help dogs they come across as much as they can, then this has to be the way forward.

Of course we will all still try to lobby the Greek government, but at least something is being done in the meantime.

I think after coming to Halkidiki for over 30 years the situation is at least a little better now, certainly since Julie arrived there. I hope it gets better each year.
June 21, 2007 08:33AM
If you would like to view a small selection of photos that Julie emailed me (Kim), then please go to the MEMBERS GALLERIES, and select ABANDONED.

PLEASE BE AWARE SOME PHOTOS MAY BE UPSETTING
June 21, 2007 09:21AM
Thanks for the info Caron, only 4 days and we'll be there! I must say after looking at those pic's I feel sick I just don't know what people get out of it, some of those dogs would have been beautiful and wonderful pets and to be left the way they have been is disgraceful.

I will do everything I can whilst there and will even take extra money to donate Julie will definitley receive it wont she? Although my boyfriend has said that I can't spend all my time with the dogs as he knows what I'm like : ) reallt looking forward to going despite all of this but at least I can help while I'm there!

June 21, 2007 11:13AM
Jonell, I am sure Julie will receive the money if you take it to the Iris cafe. I dont know where else collects, but if you have any donations you can get in the UK to go to Julie you can send them to me at the end of July and I will take them personally, convert them to Euros and get Julie to send you a receipt.

So not worries. I am sure Julie would not mind you visiting her in any case, especially with a donation. If you want to do this email me privately and I will send you Julies telephone no. and she can give you directions once there. I know where she is, but my directions are notoriously bad!

Enjoy your holiday, and these are the worst cases you have seen. Some dogs are just, and I dont use the word just lightly here, abandoned and still live relatively good lives. Not as good as our mutts over here. Also remember that some of the cruelty, like the pups ears being cut, is not as prolific in Greece as cruelty is here in the UK, it is just that we have better organisations to take care of them.

Do enjoy Halkidiki. It is a beautiful place with some really nice beautiful Greek people. It is, like everywhere, the minority who spoil things for the majority.

Jane
June 21, 2007 12:56PM
Well as long as she will get the money that's fine, if I was staying for two weeks then visiting her would not be a problem but I doubt i'll have time unfortunately! I love the Greek people and there is bad everywhere you go as you say, I think that's why I was a bit shocked at the pictures as normally there is skinny stray dogs but they do seem to be pretty much ok so to see some of them there just looks horrific. I'm just glad there are decent people out there, I always say if I won the lottery I would set-up animal rescue places especially in greece and spain as I just feel they need it.

Anyway thanks for the info x
June 21, 2007 03:26PM
I think the picture of the pup Julie sent entitled KICKED was one of the four we saved last June. Well I say WE saved, we fed them and tried to look after them and eventually got them to Julie who saved them.

We were feeding these pups for a week before the gypsies came and started to treat them as toys for their kids. The days I went to see them (most days, but it was over 35 miles round trip) I fed them and when the gypsies arrived I went every day to check on the pups and take them physically away from the gypsy kids. So I think that is when she must have been kicked.

She stayed on my lap all the way to Julies, so trusting poor little mite. Anyway, if it was her and I am 99percent sure it was, she is safe now in Belgium/Germany, cant remember which.

Have a good holiday.
June 21, 2007 05:16PM
It is only a minority of people, if you want to class them as so, that do these things. There are lovely Greek people, and lets not class them with the ignorant minority, out there who are appalled at this. Tasula, at the Iris cafe is one of them, in fact all tips left are donated to Julies cause.
(This has come about due to the drop in trade within the area, thats a different story to do with Thomson) The tips are to help increase the donations. Jonelle, I can assure you whatever you leave at the cafe Tasula will pass it on. I know its appalling what we have read, and seen. But in all honesty if these dogs can survive on the street, with assistance from people like Julie, then its a far better existance then in a home of cruelty and ignorance.
A couple of years ago I visited Fourka, during that time there was a black and tan dog, very timid and seem to be so alone.Last year he had connected with a brown older dog,which has hung around the cafe for a number of years. This year on my first visit (usually go back two or three times when work allows) these two dogs are now permanently sited together at the cafe. They spend their days just laying in the sun, well fed and cared for. So you see they can survive. No doubt you will probably see them never more than a couple of feet from each other, just laying there.
If Fourka, and the people who work and live there, is so bad I certainly would not return year after year. As Im sure neither would Jane or others who are regular visitors, its just the minority, and outsiders at that who have caused this misery for those poor animals. If it were residents surely the instinct of the animal would be to stay close to its 'home'.
Just one final word, in the town square is a young, what looks to be a, Dalmation mix. This is not a stray or abandoned dog, he belongs to someone who just lets the dog out 'to play'.
If you want to check out an area map of things in Fourka, go to the blog site posted on page one of this thread.
Happy Holidays.
July 19, 2007 11:44AM
If you would like to keep an update on what is happening with the abandoned innocents and the work Julie is doing, please go to page 1 for the posting 'Remember the abandoned innocents'. A new addition was a puppy, now named Annie, left to wander the streets with only hours left to live as she was too young to search for food.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2007 11:58AM by yorkshire lass.
July 19, 2007 12:58PM
hi don't know how far fourka is from pefkohori but my friends alkis and utta have a pet shop there, they also help a lot with rescuing and rehoming abandoned animals, they use to be by the side of maxim's restaurant but have now moved down to where the old ippokombus apartments were, so if you happen to go to pefkohori you know where you can find them, every year my family go out they alway take donations that have been collected by friends back here. I think no matter how hard we all trie to help these defenseless animals we will never be able to solve it completely, but every little helps as they say.
July 19, 2007 01:35PM
hi Jonelle

from Julia cross road look for Aristidis hotel on your right turn right there follow road down till u see yiamas bar at end turn left and IRIS is in front of you across from supermarket say hi to Tasula and her hubby from me Jeff ..Kay and little Boyd she will know who we are lol

please say hi to Bapis the barman in Yiamas and Maria the waitress thnk you.

have a great time and the bus stops outside Julia if you want to go to Kassandria.

Jeff Fourkas Mad Dog Man
July 19, 2007 03:20PM
Hello Halls2210

Every little helps, thats what I say.

I agree, there will always be problems with strays.
It just seems that the people who cause this suffering are either totally ignorant, never heard of the op to stop unwanted pups/kittens, or downright heartless.

I would imagine your friends despair at the attitude of others, having come across rescuing abandoned animals.

Just a final mention there is a poster titled 'Pleas from the Strays of Greece' I wonder if your friends have it on display in their shop. It might be worth a mention.

Kim
July 21, 2007 04:33PM
Oh dear, now it would seem the city council of Dublin are into victimization of certain breeds of dogs.
The Dog Trust (UK) is urging everyone who is an animal lover to sign the petition against destroying these pets, if owners are unable to find homes for them.
If you are interested in signing the petition its at
www.petitiononline.com
titled 'CITIZENS AGAINST DOG BAN'
it now has over 14,000 signatures and growing.

July 22, 2007 05:47PM
hi kim (yorkshire lass)

yes i will mention it goin out to see them in sept thanx

emma
July 23, 2007 10:31AM
Emma

Thank you. We were planning on going out in september, usually last two weeks, also. In fact we told Yiannis (he's a lovely friendly lad) to expect us, it doesn't look like its possible (work factors).

Anyway, next year as usual.

Have a lovely time, it should be just a lovely suntanning (but not overbearing) climate at that time.

Kim
The True cost to rescue an abandoned animal....
July 24, 2007 02:14PM
The true costs to rescue an abandoned animal;
Sterilization Female dog 100 euros
Castration male dog 90 euros
Worming tablets cost 3 euros per tablet. One tablet is for 10 kilos.
Frontline for fleas about 30 euros for 500ml spray
Food adult 17 euros for 20 kilos sack
Food puppy 28 euros for 15 kilos sack. I just
Blood tests for dogs 18 euros per test.
All dogs sterilized are tested for Erlika, Lieshmania and Heartworm
Leg amputation 200 euros

Bone operations,a nice woman in Belgium who accepts dogs
involved in car accidents. Only the price of a plane ticket which can cost up
to 300 euros.

Here the cost of a operation for broken bones costs over 300 euros, and then there is the after care and re homing costs.

Last year a dog was sent to Belgium with 3 broken legs, here they said put it to
sleep. As usual Julie couldn't, and now Pascalina (Easter for Greek, the day
she was hit) is running in Belgium.

This year a programme was started for owned dogs, financial support is provided
to anyone who is willing to sterilize their female dog.

Re: The True cost to rescue an abandoned animal....
July 25, 2007 05:27PM
Well I am back now in UK after visiting the USA. Looking foward to getting to Halkidiki now, hopefully all being well we arrive 8 August til December.

I have been following the threads while away but forgot to take my details to sign in !

Thanks to Yorkshire Lass for pioneering the cause of these dogs. I look foward to working to help Julie when we get there.

Can I just ask all the love dogs, can you visit the website wwwDOTvoice4dogsDOTorg/tsinc.htm - BE AWARE though, this site shows some HORRIFIC pictures and details of what is happening to dogs in China today. I came across this site after reading the daily mail in UK, and seeing it on the BBC News. I didnt want to see these pictures, but then I would be burying my head in the sand. My main request is, visit the site and email MEPs and the Chinese Embassy and add your voice to the petition to stop the practices in China. Also, and this is very very difficult, try to avoid buying goods made in China. And of course, boycott the Olympics to be held in Beiijing.

I hope you all dont mind the slight hijacking of this thread. As you all know if you read the forum regularly, I am an avid supporter of helping the dogs in Halkidiki, and I am hoping that all dog lovers reading this forum can see the huge problems in China too.

Thanks in advance. Please sign the petition on the website, but again BE WARNED the pictures are extremely distressing. If you are of a sensitive nature do not view them. I am very sensitive to cruelty to animals, and I have had nightmares ever since, but I must try to help somehow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login