Aloni apts and general Pefkohori info

Posted by lvlykt 
May 24, 2007 12:10PM
Hi,

My self and my b/f are going to Pefkohori on 28th june, staying at the aloni apts, just generally
wanted to know if apts are good and how busy Pefkohori will be, were in our thirties so not looking for all night raves! , some reviews say its traditional and laid back others say like Blackpool (hope its not the latter!) Also are there any cash machines and any ideas of nice beaches/places we could visit under our own steam...i.e not excursions with tour ops.

Thanks.
Re: Aloni apts and general Pefkohori info
June 06, 2007 12:05PM
Hi,

We have just returned from a really enjoyable week at the Aloni apts and I am sure you will be happy there. The rooms are typically Greek, small kitchenette just inside the door, balcony overlooking the pool and the hills beyond. The shower and toilet were perhaps the best we have experienced for a few years. The shower was tiled on three sides with a shower curtain across the fourth, plenty of hot water all day.The room is tiled through out so take care when wet. The room was cleaned every day except Sunday.

The bar area is pleasant enough, drinks are reasonably priced. It was a bit quiet when we were there, but I can't really imagine it getting so rowdy that it would keep you awake.

The Aloni is approx a 2 minute walk away from the nearest supermarket and approx 5 minutes from what they call the old square. Here is the centre of what I would call the old town with a choice of 2/3 taverna's/bars.

A further 4/5 minute walk will bring you to the main area of the town which is situated between the main road and beach. Here there are plenty of bars and taverna's. I would think that you can find everything that you need.

i'm not sure how busy it will be when you are there, the weekend will certainly be busier as many Greeks travel down from Thessalonika for the weekend. It will be considerably quieter during the week.
To get to the beach, walk straight down the hill from the apts, not really a hill more a gentle slope, under the subway and follow your nose, will take less than 10minutes. When you come to the beach turn left and you will be on the nicest part of the beach. Better sand and more space.
There are a couple of bars here that will let you have free use of the sunbeds provided you buy a drink.
If you turn right this will take you to the busier part of the resort and the area that some people resemble to Blackpool. It isn't like that at all and I think that it is unfair to give it that tag. There is a promenade that runs the length of the resort and there are loads of bars, taverna's and the odd disco, even a couple of very small amusement arcades. But Blackpool it isn't.

A couple a days we walked to the next village up, Hanioti. There is an old road that has little traffic and there is a decent footpath in places. It is a pleasant walk if you avoid the middle of the day and Hanioti is well worth a look. Should take you about 40 minutes.
There are a number of paths that will take you the 20 or 30 yards to the beach and whilst the beach is not the best we have ever seen it was very quiet. A couple of days we were the only ones there so managed to get an overall tan.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. I'm sure you will enjoy yourselves.

regards
June 06, 2007 12:53PM
Hi Dave ,

Thanks so much for your reply and info about the resort......I havent found any recent reviews for the apts, so its good to hear from someone who has just been there.

Can I ask if there are any cash machines as I have got a travellers cheque card this year instead of the usual travellers cheques. Also can you recommend any good tavernas? And how was the transfer from Airport to resort?

Thanks Kate.
June 07, 2007 08:10AM
Hi

We can't quite see the correlation between a beautiful, reasonably quiet greek village and Blackpool personally. There's the odd amusement arcasxe and a little fairground ... bus as the prvious reply says Blackpool it certainly isn't ... some people!

We've been going to Pefkohori for several years now, and yes it can get busy during the high season but what resort doesn't these days. Alot of the Greek population in and around Thessaloniki holiday there so it does "come alive" over the weekends.

Lots of restuarants and bars to choose from whether you're looking for a reasonably quiet night out or to dance the night away!

As with any resory we feel it's what you make of it. Some people want "Blackpool" in Greece and have their steak & chip and english breakfasts everyday, some of us immerse ourselves in the culture and the Greek way of life ... we find our hols are much the better for that!

There's a cash machine on the main road through the village in a garage. We always go to the beach to the left of the old jetty as you look out to sea, the sea bed is rockier there but if you snorkel you'll see lots of sealife. Pleanty of bars, shops and tavrnas on the seafront too, but again what major tourist resort isn't like this these days?

We fly out on July 4th, and as usual can't wait. Enjoy your stay, we're sure you won't disapointed.

Andy & Eleni
June 07, 2007 11:45AM
Hi Kate,

As we were only there for a week and there was a safe available at the apts we took cash so didn’t pay an awful lot of attention to the cash machines. Having said that I’m pretty sure there is one in Pefkohori. There is definitely one in Hanioti. It costs 2 euro’s a day to hire a safe so I find it much easier to take a load of cash rather than risk finding a machine that works and has cash in it. You’ll be pleased to know that we found it fairly cheap and ended taking a fair bit of cash home with us. Two starters, two main courses and a couple of drinks would average out at about 25 euro.
I’m never very good at remembering names of taverna’s but the places I would recommend for you to eat are:-
In the old square, the taverna round the back of Paul’s place. This is only 10 minutes away from the apts.
Another one we liked is overlooking the sea, follow the road down to the beach, under the subway, when you get to the beach, turn left and the first taverna you come to. There are 4 tables right on the beach, the rest are on the other side of the road. Nice place to watch the sun go down.
Third, find the pier, then the nearest road away from the beach, about thirty yards up on the right hand is a small taverna, with about 6 or 7 tables outside, always very busy which is a good sign. To be honest we enjoyed all the places we went to and didn’t have a bad meal anywhere.
The transfer to the resort takes about 2 hours, we were the last off the coach and made about half a dozen stops before we got to Pefkohori. Unfortunately they have started roadworks on the dual-carriageway to the resorts so we had to take a detour. This only applied one way, the return trip to the airport was much quicker. There is every chance that the roadworks will have finished by the time you go. Of course last off, meant that we were first on the coach going back and we were picked up at 7:40 in the morning to catch a plane leaving at 12:40. You’ll be pleased to know that despite Thessalonika being the second biggest city in Greece, the airport isn’t up to much. But if you have been to Greece before you will know what to expect.
And finally, I don’t know where you usually go on your hols and what time of year, but it was very hot at times when we were there and that was at the end of May. Take plenty of suncream.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
June 07, 2007 08:10PM
there is one cash machine on the high street where the garage is. Be warned it does get replinshed till a tuesday if it runs out! There are 4 machines in hanoti which is 5 euros taxi ride!
June 10, 2007 06:57PM
Just come back from Pefkohori and already having withdrawel symptoms. Been visiting for several years and have enjoyed every holiday there, not wanting to come home. Stayed at the Aloni two years ago and had excellent time there. Rooms are basic but sufficient for what you need. Rooms were cleaned every day so couldn't ask for more. There are many good tavernas to eat but found the El Greco taverna run by Billy (take the road up opposite the pier first taverna you come to on the right hand side) to be very reasonabley priced and excellent food each time we ate there.
Many places to chill out with a Mythos try Paul's Place on the old square and Mamos the internet cafe on the main road.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login