Whats the prices like for food

Posted by pinkjane 
April 12, 2007 12:03PM
Hi all I've just found this forum so Im really excited now as I have only 5 weeks today till I fly out!!
was just wondering if any one has been to polycrono before and what the prices were like for food and drinks have been to Greece loads of times before but someone was telling me that Halkidiki is cheaper than most if the islands, also if anyone knows what its like to hire a car there and whether I should prebook it as i need a car seat for me little one.

Thanks oh by the way im staying at the Fanis yipee!!!

Jane
Re: Whats the prices like for food
April 13, 2007 10:33AM
Hi Jane, in a restaurant two people can eat out very well for 30 euros with wine. Of course you can pay more or less, a lot of places do set menus if that's what you're after. For drinks - large beers tend to be about 2.5/3 euros in bars. Spirits can be fairly expensive at about 5-6 euros. But you can pay more or less - depends on whether you want a beachfront bar, or are happy to sit outside a takeaway! Lots of places do happy hours. Of course in the shops the same bottle of beer will cost you about 60 cents and a bottle of Vodka 7 euros.

There's plenty of car hire places. I'd pre-book if I was you - economy car rentals (link on this site) tend to be quite reasonable.

Hope this helps.
April 13, 2007 10:44AM
Thanks for that, we do like nice restaurants not into take aways!!
April 14, 2007 08:50AM
hi there

when iw as last there a nice restaurant was Tnapei along the far end of the sea front, they are very nice family and the food is wonderful we used to pay about 45 euros for 2 courses and wine and brandy coffees ut this was 3 years ago.

it was better food than anywhere else well we thought so as my husband loved steak

have a good time
April 20, 2007 06:00PM
If you try to stick to the non tourist type tavernas where possible, it is possible to eat really cheaply. However you do need a car, so I supose the car rental makes them more expensive !!

Do get a car, it is a lovely peninsular and if you stay in one resort you do miss out on a lot. There is a nice fishing village near where we live, called Nea Skioni. Very Greek, just a few tourists but lots of apartments and greek tourists. Nice port, although at present they are in process of building a bigger port to take Dolphins over to Thessaloniki, a great idea which we hope comes to fruition during our three years over there as the drive into town is tiring and long.

We have just got back. Ate at one tourist place and very expensive about 40 euros for basic food. Rst of time ate at Greek places, between 18 and 30 euros depending on what we had, but much better value. A few gyros as well at 2.5 euros. they are a great snack and although they look like donor kebabs they are made of proper meat, all thin slices packed onto a large skewer and cooked. Chicken or pork.

There are some different dishes here to the islands. Try poneeri if you like feta - it is a long slim pepper stuffed with feta and topped with tomatoes, slightly spicy and very nice. The fish is very good, cheaper to buy at the port and cook if you have a BBQ, but do treat yourself once if you like fish. Best place for us is Villa Stassa. Choose your fish, they cook it and debone it so there are probably only very very few bones left in and it tastes divine, also try their octopus, so tender. Oh, cant wait til we go back Aug.

If you want any more info just ask. We have been going 30 years so know most places on Kassandra and a few on Sithonia. Also a few good places in Thessaloniki.
April 20, 2007 06:59PM
Car hire is cheap at economy car hire avaliable from the airport and advertised on this site they use other companies cars but are cheaper. I have just returned from Polycrono and paid 140euro for 10 day hire.Average meal price 30euro for 2.
April 21, 2007 05:15PM
We used Economy Car Rentals three times. Last time in November the car was absolutely disgraceful. Dirty, old, tatty and smelt of cigarettes. We were very disappointed. This time we used Avis. Before we have used Kriopigi Cars and they are fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login