Afitos or Kriopigi???

Afitos or Kriopigi???

Posted by Anko 
Afitos or Kriopigi???
March 22, 2007 02:31PM
I am planning a two week holiday to Halkidiki, but strugglin to decide between Afitos and Kriopigi... Me and my partner are in our mid and late 20s and are looking for somewhere with a bit of character, relaxed, not too busy but not dead either. I am thinking that Afitos would be good as near busier resorst if a night out is needed, but I would much appreciate if you "more experienced" Halkidiki travellers would share your experience with the place. smiling smiley
Has Afitos really got enough to it for a two week stay - or would Kriopigi have more to offer?
What is the bar/restaurant selection like in each resort?
Also would be great if anyone pass on any experience of Zeus Hotel/Apartments in Afitos or Alkion in Kriopigi!

Thanks Folks!
Re: Afitos or Kriopigi???
March 22, 2007 03:48PM
Hi

I can comment on afitos it is a traditional village in Halkidiki Greece, it is probably one of the best places you will stay in it has great character with good tavernas. The beach is reached walking downhill for 1/2 mile or you can catch a local train which runs from the centre of the village. The beach is safe bathing and has lovely white sand. Hotel Zeus is a few minutes walk from the centre of the village but you will find most of the hotels a close walk. Sorry i can't comment on the hotel. Kalathea is a busier town which is around 2 miles away.

Whatever you choose i hope you have a great holiday in halkidiki.

Phil
March 22, 2007 04:43PM
Have you looked at pefkohori or hanioti?
March 23, 2007 08:28AM
Anko, there is more in Athitos than there is in Kriopigi. Athitos is a lovely village with plenty of restaurants and bars, but nothing too 'clubby.' It is a relaxed village, with charm and character and lovely beaches. If you did fancy some livelier nights out, there are the big clubs just outside Kallithea - a couple of miles and a few euros in a taxi, or Hanioti, which is the busiest resort, which is probably 10 euros in a taxi. I've never stayed in the Zeus, so can't comment, but Athitos would be a great place to base yourselves.
March 23, 2007 09:28AM
Matthew.

Are we sounding bias to Afitos, i wonder why.

Anko

If you are worried about booking the Zeus i am over in afitos next week so i will go and have a peep if it is open, what time of the year are you going?

Phil
March 23, 2007 01:14PM
Can't think of a single reason, Phil!!

Good luck with getting your place fitted out and enjoy your trip.

Mathew
March 23, 2007 04:12PM
Thanks everyone for your comments,

Phil, we are thinking about booking for end June - hopefully before kids summer hols smiling smiley
I've only been to Crete in Greece so hopefully a holiday in Halkidiki will show me a different side of the country (not that there was nothing wrong with Crete).

I had a look on Hanioti too, maybe a bit touristy + Shingly beach (?)

I am definitely getting a good "feel" of Afitos... Just need to book now! smiling smiley

March 26, 2007 12:27PM
Anko

June should be nice the weather will be warming up and not too crowded, Most of the Greek islands are very nice but you will find Afitos a bit special, shouldn't say too much or everyone will travel there, it is a great base to travel from though it can sometimes get busy at weekends when the city are moving to the coast for the week-end. There are some good trips if you feel energetic, the beach is great if you want to relax, and you can always hire a car to see more, book it and enjoy, do check prices for flights and booking the hotels direct a lot of hotels in halkidiki will book direct

Thanks Matthew for your comments.

Phil
March 31, 2007 07:44PM
HI THERE, WELL IF IT'S CHARACTER YOUR LOOKIN FOR THEN THERE IS ONLY AFITOS. VERY, VERY OLD VILLAGE. LOTS OF NOOKS TO EXPLORE. VERY GREEK, NOT LITTLE BRITAIN. YOU WILL BE HOLIDAYIN AND LIVIN THE GREEK ATMOSPHERE, ALL THE OTHER VILLAGES ARE RELATIVLY NEW, COMPARED TO AFITOS. THE ZEUS IS A SMALL HOTEL WITH A SMALL SWIMMIN POOL, PEACEFULL, 5 MIN WALK TO CENTRE OF AFITOS BUT THEN AFITOS IS SPREAD OUT IN A WAY THERE'S ALWAYS SOMETHING TO FIND. STAYED IN HOTEL YEARS AGO HAD NO COMPLAINTS. ENJOY YOUR STAY WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login