Distances

Distances

Posted by Sarah L 
Distances
February 15, 2007 11:32AM

Hiya only me again!!!!!!

I'm going to be hiring a car during my stay in Hanioti - I was wondering if anyone had any idea of how long it takes to travel from one end of the Kassandra Peninsular to the other?

Thanks
Sarah xx

Re: Distances
February 15, 2007 11:41AM
About 1/2 to 3/4 hour.
February 15, 2007 01:21PM
I would agree about half an hour. It is worth the drive there are lovely beaches there.
February 15, 2007 02:23PM
hi sarah

why not make a full day of it and stop off at some resorts/villages .
go down one side inthe morning then up the other side in afternoon making stops for drinks and a bite to eat along the waysmiling smiley
you can do the peninsula in a day easy as we found out trying to find mamar market.
February 15, 2007 03:36PM

Thanks for the tips, that's great we are planning on travelling out to see some of the sights and beaches having a car for about 7 days so we can spend lots of time travelling around. Thanks for your help it's been really useful

Thanks
Sarah :-) !!!!
February 15, 2007 05:14PM
Hi sarah

I have been to Hanioti the last four years i have also booked again to go in August, we always hire a car you can do the Kassandra peninsular easy in day, it is also worth a visit to the sithonia peninsular and visiting places like Porto Carras, Neos Mamaras and Sarti.

when are you going out to Halkidiki and where are you staying.

Take care

Sian
February 15, 2007 06:37PM
Round Kassandra go to the end village of Loutra where there is a spa, and near there is Villa Stassa. Nice Greek taverna, they speak a little English, but lots of Greeks go there and people in the know. It is lovely, and the views over the sea are beautiful as you are high up. You can also walk down through the garden area down to rocks and swim and snorkel there.

Nea Skioni fishing village is a nice Greek village with mainly Greek tourists, although there are a few more european ones in last few years, but nowhere near being touristy yet.

Siviris is a lovely village. Not much there, but the beach along the lefthandside of the jetty and walking away from there is lovely. Narrow, sandy and not many people there. In August perhaps quite a few, but if you walk to the far end and round the rocks there are several small bays with not many people around.

In between these villages you will see lots of small alleyways through bushes etc down to the beach. On the far side of Nea Skioni, Siviris, Mola Kaliva the beaches are a bit pebbly but the sea is beautifully clean and clear and because everyone goes to the sandy beaches on the other side you will find small beaches to yourself.

Go to the market at Nea Moudania, forget which day, it is a Wed or Thurs. The other day is the market at Kassandrea, not so big as Moudania but still a nice experience.

If you drive into Thessaloniki there are some lovely places to visit, an old indoor market, fish market and some expensive shops and some cheaper shops, but it is a nice city and nice to sit on the seafront and drink frappe.

Drive round Sithonia, takes a good full day as it is much bigger than Kassandra. Lots of private beaches to visit and nice towns. If you want a quick trip to Sithonia to a nice beach, go straight across the top of it and go to VouVouRou, gorgeous beach.

Loads more to do, I have just given you a few of our favourite places which dont see quite so many tourists.
February 15, 2007 07:03PM
has anyone visited the water falls? if so how far are they from Hanioti??
February 15, 2007 10:52PM
If you mean Edessa, they are a long way. About 3-4 hours from memory. Best to go on a trip if it is your first visit as the drive is very long. They are good and if you can get in the trip Pella and the mosaics and museum it is a very good and interesting day.
February 15, 2007 11:53PM
Thanks v much. We have been told that the water falls are lovely, we were hoping to go last yr but didnt make it as we were evacuated because of the fire, so hopefully we will make it this year. Both dad and i share the driving while we are away so four hours each way between us isnt too bad. did you book the trip with your tour operator??
February 16, 2007 09:42AM

Hiya Everyone

Thank you Soooooo much I have printed this page out will definately be trying some of these fab beaches out - I like to sunbath a bit but my husband gets board but he can spend all day snorkerling around the rocks so these places sound ideal, I like to visit the places that are not too tourisity as well to experience the local flavor!!! The waterfalls sound really nice I don't think i'm going to have enough time in two weeks to go to all these places ah well just means I go back the next year - shame!!

We are going in June and staying at the Angelo's Apartments/Studios in Hanioti, we have been recommended by a few friends that have been here a couple of times, I'm really looking forward to it now I have only ever been to Greece once which was last year and fell in love with the people they are so friendly and make the holiday!!!

Thank you again you have been so helpful - now i'm really excited!!!!

Sarah xx

February 16, 2007 12:57PM
Dear Jane, have you seen the royal tombs in Verghina ( Aighiai)? Is not far from Thessaloniki and the road is very good. If you have seen don't explain what there is - for the surprise !!!- Only tell people to go there. Beppe
February 16, 2007 06:54PM
Beppe, yes we went to Vergina and it was excellent. We drove ourselves and it was just before the gold crown got stolen !

Also is Nymphaeo. We will try again this year. We went in November, but chose the only rainy day thinking it would get better as we got out of Thessaloniki. It didnt.! It rained all day, it took four hours to get there, and the whole village was closed. Very despondant we set off back straight away and stopped somewhere in the middle of nowhere at a wooden hut serving Greek farm workers. Greek music blaring out under a tarpaulin, little room inside and menu in Greek (OK for me though, I read and speak Greek, hahahah). Chose some dishes, also pointed to some other Greek workers were eating and it was the best Greek salad we had all holiday, totally fresh. And Cheap...... The two workers at the next table bought us a Raki each, then one of them did some impromptu dancing in the middle of the room. It was worth the trip to find some real Greek hospitality in a totally untouristic place, in fact when we first walked in their eyes almost popped out of their heads at these two English people.

So, we will try again in April when we go over. Before we drive over as after August we will have our dog with us and that will limit trips a little more.

Cheers.....
February 16, 2007 08:48PM
Jane, you and your husband have well understood the soul of greek people.You enter in a greek taverna- not touristic please- and after 5 minutes you speak with greek people and is a fantastic exchange of krasì, rètsina, psaria, mezès and oktapodia! But attention! They are not so for touristic reasons!!! They understand if you love Greece and if you don't believe yourself more important than them for the stupid reason that you come from a more rich country.You love Greece, as us.For example I have been 7 or 8 times at the Termopylae, on the little hill to read the Simonide 's words " Xenos, agghelein tois Lakedemonois....", in Platea and wherever in archeological and historical sites. Don't miss, near us, Olynthos, Anfipoli, and mainly Staghira , the Aristotele's fatherland.But attention, is not located in the central Halkidiki near Arnea. This is another Staghira. The archeo Staghira is near Olimpiada near Ierissòs.I am glad to read your impressions. Classic studies? And for last, Jane, don't miss to read , and there is also in english, a book written by Oriana Fallaci. The title is " One man" in italian " Un uomo" . Is the true story of Alekos Panagulis and changed my life till at the fact that I started from north Italy for Athens, only to go in Athens central cemetery to put flowers on the little white " tafòs" of Alekos.Glad to listen you again Beppe
February 16, 2007 09:48PM

(sniff) (sniff)

stop it lol
jane..........beppe.......thats sooooooo nice nearly filled my hankiesmiling smiley

i too love greece very much and its people.

jane........ you know i must get out more from fourka/skioni/hanioti and polychrono he he he

beppe........ gosh my friend you have been / seen so much of greece in your time there i am in envy of you.

i cant wait for this years hoilday after being away for 2 yrs from greece.

kalimera JEFF

Fourkas mad dog man

February 17, 2007 08:07AM
Jeff, it's only a problem of age. I am old and sure the first times I had gone in Greece ......
Wherever, listen to me, go in Verghina,find the time and you really will be glad.Excuses to everyone for my very very basic scholastic english, but for me it's difficult to understand some your expressions. Ciao!!!!
Nic
February 17, 2007 01:33PM
If you'd like to see some pictures from around Halkidiki, there's plenty on my website to give you an idea.... www.@#$%&.com

Nic.
February 17, 2007 03:42PM
Beppe, thank you. Your English is far better than my Italian, so don't worry. We understand you. I will search out the book A Man. I have found it on the internet, a biography about him and it looks very interesting.

Jeff, yes you must get out of Fourka! There really are some super places, although you have missed the gorgeous road from Skioni over the mountains through the forest as it has burnt down.

Can't wait to go end March, we will be there for Easter for the first time ever. Three weeks to sort out our new place ready for the next three years, whoopee !!

Nic, nice photos, have been to many of those places and it is making me long to come back, not long now.

Bye for now everyone, happy holidays this year.

Jane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login