Driving to Greece

Driving to Greece

Posted by Jane 
Driving to Greece
November 28, 2006 04:33PM
We have driven over to Halkidiki three years and we always went Derby to Calais stopped overnight, then Calais to Strasbourg stopped overnight, then Strasbourg to Lake Garda stopped overnight, then Lake Garda to Venice, then ferry to Patras and drive up to Halk.

However we now want to take our dog with us. I am worried about the ferry from Venice as I am not sure about the safety for dogs on board as she loves water! Anybody driven through Yugoslavia or an other way. We were warned by Greek friends that the police in Yugo stop you and pretend you have commited a driving offence and take money off you? Any ideas welcomed including any recommendations for good ferry companies that will have safe and nice area for my dog.

Next year we go July til Nov, and following two years from April til Nov, dont know whether time of year would affect any driving plans.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Jane
Re: Driving to Greece
December 01, 2006 08:25PM
Found the info I need now thanks, so no need for any replies.

If anyone else wants some info re taking a dog I can provide some now. Travelling in same cabin on ship, not in seperate kennels.
December 03, 2006 09:24AM
Dear Jane, this year I have the same problem. I believe that you have found Superfast that has cabins where we can stay with our dogs- two labrador retriver-. It's correct? Thanks Beppe
December 03, 2006 05:19PM
Yes it is Superfast, 50 euros each way for each dog. Special outside cabins with wipe clean floors but otherwise the same as the other quality cabins. When are you going? My dog is a labrador retreiver too !
December 04, 2006 08:19AM
Dear Jane , we have a boat in Porto Carras- near Neos Marmaras , a special place with a lot of space. But also with the space we are terrified to imagine our days for the reason that are too young,the male now 5 months and female 9 months.I know Greece very well and everything about Halkidiki, so if you have necessity of information, ak me. Thanks and Ciao!!!!!! Beppe

December 04, 2006 06:08PM
Thanks Beppe. We also know Greece very well, we lived in Halkidiki for three years and have been going there over thirty years! However, we know the problems with dogs over there and that is why I am so pleased to have found Superfast to allow the dog in the cabin. It makes it much less stressful for me and the dog ! Take care of your dogs and enjoy your stay. What a lovely place to have a boat. We once stayed at Porto Carras when we were living in Greece, just a treat for my birthday. Happy Summer for next year.
December 04, 2006 07:29PM
Dear Jane, I understood we had the same experience. We also had gone in Greece 2 or 3 times a year in the last 30 years.Perhaps are you the scottish lady with a pick up , lady that I met two times in a supermarket of Nikiti? Thank you for your nice words. Ciao!!! Beppe
December 04, 2006 08:05PM
No sorry Beppe, I am English lady with husband and range rover, but we lived in Mola Kaliva, on Kassandra. All our Greek friends live on Kassandra, so that is where our new rental house is too.

Have a great trip over, we have now secured our booking for next year
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login