Out and about

Out and about

Posted by Sarah L 
Out and about
August 29, 2006 03:17PM
Hey!!

Thinking of going to Hanioti, can anyone tell me what there is of interest to do while there - day trips etc the only trip I've heard of it The Mount Athos one which sounds great, we like to lay in the sun but also travel about maybe hire a car can anyone recommend anything!!!

Ta!

Re: Out and about
August 29, 2006 04:36PM
HI - CAR HIRE IS A GOOD IDEA TO DRIVE RIGHT ROUND THE PENINSULA AND VISIT ALL OF THE VILLAGES - CAN DO IT EASILY A DAY AND VERY DIFFICULT TO GET LOST.
NEVER BEEN TO NEXT PENINSULA MY SELF BUT APPARENTLY NOT A BAD DRIVE ALSO IN A DAY. USE LOCAL BUSES TO VISIT NEA MOUDANIA MARKET (CANT REMEMBER WHICH DAY) CHEERS STEVE
DaveS
August 29, 2006 04:50PM
Car hire worthwhile, definately gives flexibility if you like exploring and visiting other areas - Kriopigi cars (sales@kriopigi.net) and Economy cars advertised on this site both recommended. Beware Greek drivers though! A drive round the peninsular is good, visits to Pefkohori, Polichrono, Fourka, Agia Paraskevi (more traditional, less tourist), Paliouri if you find the square, also Afitos is good and various folk like Kriopigi too.

We went on the sunset cruise (ahhhh!) and thought it good for an evening. There's a sunshine cruise too (not done, others might have opinions) scuba diving (somewhere on this site you will find messages with the details of the Pefkohori firm, Odessey I think they are called but I've spelt it wrong.

Thessaloniki is within reach for a day - the tour companies organise trips, not done them though, others can say if they are worwhile. But if you've got a car and aren't frightened by difficult to find car parks and Greek drivers, better going under your own steam.

Kassandria market is Wed (isn't it, someone) and Nea Moudania market is thurs (isn't it, someone?) if shopping is your thing. Haven't done these but probably will this year as I enjoy nosing around what locals do.

A trip to waterworld also on offer but folk on this site have not been overflowing with praise. Also a trip to Petralona caves. Not done either, others can comment.

There's a place in the hills with rare turtles. I've no idea if its survived recent events though (anyone know?), its probably right where the fire was. Its a bit of a trek but we enjoy walking.

Plenty of sun, plenty of sea, plenty of sand...plenty of tavernas/restaurants/bars......9 days to go and counting.............................
August 30, 2006 09:13AM
Hiya

Thanks alot for all your tips, they have been really helpful all sounds good to me well thanks again and have a great holiday Dave

Sarah x
Jeff fourkas mad dog man
August 31, 2006 06:16AM
the place in the hills where the turtles are is known locally as the Black Pool

now you have me worried as i layed my dear wifes ashes near to this beauty spot
just hope the forest there wasnt attacked by the fires.

but will fined out myself in May 2007

oh BTW water world is a NO NO

But do the pirates day thats a gas (the Capt is crazy lol)
DaveS
August 31, 2006 08:49AM
gosh, hope its OK Jeff.
August 31, 2006 10:15AM

Hiya only me again

Can anyone tell me about Thessaloniki, I know it's a city lots of shops etc but does it have any historic areas i.e ruins, or does anywhere in the area have any ruins. I am going to hire a car on the recommendation of Dave so it doesn't really matter if we have to travel to get to somewhere of interest.

Thanks
xx

P.s Sorry to hear Jeff, but i'm sure the area you are talking about will be alright they will have tryed there hardest to protect it.

jokent
August 31, 2006 02:32PM
The trip on the pirate ship is excellent especially for the kids. Captain Macaliis ( sp! ) is great fun. However, we found this difficult to book and it seems the only operator that does it is first choice. Although saying that I am sure one of the travel agencies offered it to us.

Great fun though
August 31, 2006 05:12PM
thomson do it
August 31, 2006 05:48PM
Hi Sarah

Thessaloniki is a beautiful city we think. It has lots of historical sites, a brilliant museum, some lovely old churches and some gorgeous shops, both expensive and cheaper. Nice delicatessen near the old market. The old market is just a typical eastern type market. Lots of fish (to eat !) in the fish side, meat, corks, olive oil, herbs, all sorts of interesting things. A nice place to eat is Smyrnie in the market. We were taken there by Greek friends about five years ago and make sure we go everytime we go to Halkidiki since.

There are loads of interesting sites, a Jewish museum (although we didnt make it there this year). A place called Nymphaio in the hills about three hours drive away is a beautiful preserved village, with a bear and wolf sanctuary.

Vergina, about two hours drive, is a fantastic museum built inside a tomb mound, is really spectacular.

Sit in Aristotles square and have a coffee, or sit along the front overlooking the sea. Make sure if you visit the deli bring back some Greek saffron, supposed to be the best in the world and it is so cheap over there, makes brilliant presents for friends who like cooking.

If I think of anything else I will get back to you. It is nicer to get to Thessaloniki yourself I think and do what you want. Parking is expensive but available and is mostly multi storey or underground, although I have been told there is a new parking system somewhere along the main driveway in but we didnt find that one in June. However, a trip by tourist bus will be even dearer than parking for 4 hours or so, and you can at least see more of the town than if you have to rush back to a bus. Also, Thessaloniki sightseeing is good, but again cheaper to do yourself. Just get some info from locals in Halkidiki as to where to go and what to see.

Visit Morfy and Sakis at the Sweet Coffee Shop in Kriopigi for superb crepes, specialty coffees and teas, gorgeous ice creams, sandwiches, toasties and more, and please say hello to them from Jane and Martyn. The Sweet Coffee Shop is a nice Greek creperie which attracts both Greeks and tourists, and is a touch of the real Greece away from all the more touristy restaurants etc. Just for a change....
September 01, 2006 08:18AM

Hi Jane

Thank you so much for that info it will make my husband very happy to know he can visit places of interest (he might not be so keen on me shopping though Lol!!)

Thessaloniki does sound really nice so we will deffinately visit and we will go by car, like you say you never have enough time on a trip your always rushing off, i'd rather do it in my own time - that's what holidays are all about I rush too much when i'm at home.

We will also try to find a map and get to the villages you have mentioned what's the point of going to Greece and missing out on the traditional villages!

Thanks again

Sarah x

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login