Are people trying to stop us visting Hanioti???

Posted by robbie 
robbie
August 28, 2006 07:08PM
I have just got over the fact that Hanioti suffered a huge fire and have decided to still travel, however i am now faced with news that hanioti has suffered great floods.
I can find no evidence to support this but am now worried again about holidaying here.

Are people trying to put me off ????

Anyone who is in Hanioti at the moment, if they could confirm any news for me i would be grateful.

Many Thanks
Re: Are people trying to stop us visting Hanioti???
August 28, 2006 07:22PM
I have just found some news, on a Greek news site. Unfortunately it is only in Greek. Whilst I can read Greek I am a bit rusty, but I gather there has been a lot of rain today in the whole of Kassandra, and some shops and houses on ground level have been flooded, with ash washed towards the sea.

The article is quite long and I cannot translate it all as I dont have time tonight, but PLEASE somebody actually in HANIOTI, PEFKOHORI (the two towns mentioned in the Greek news) let somebody know what is happening. It may not be as bad as it sounds, but the people due to holiday over there need to know what to expect.
August 28, 2006 07:27PM
Thanks Jane

Don't know what to say, i'm due to travel on Thursday and thing just feel as though they go from bad to worse.

I'm due to get married also and feel like someone is trying to tell us something!!!

:-(
August 28, 2006 07:29PM
Just wait to hear from someone over there, it may not be that bad. As for telling you something, dont worry. Our wedding day was horrendous winds and rain, and I lost my veil down the churchyard. We are still together 31 years later !!!!

Will keep a look out for any news for you.
August 28, 2006 07:34PM
Thanks Jane

I'm sure it will be wonderful!!
robbie
August 28, 2006 07:40PM
Have you got the website address Jane where the news of the flood is please x
August 28, 2006 07:57PM
[www.hri.org]

under no. 6 item. If you can make a bit more of it than I can at present, please let me know too!
robbie
August 28, 2006 08:28PM
It flooded streams, streets and shops Mpoyrj'nj in the Kassa'ndra 28/8/2006 11:45:00 pm (Last briefing: 28/8/2006 5:55:16 mm) Source: APE-MPE Afterwards the devastating fire "came" the downpour in the Kassa'ndra Chalkidiki where a mpoyrj'nj, duration 30 thin, had as result of flooding streams, streets and shops on a level with the ground and blackens the sea from apokaj'!dja. The downpour, that was accompanied by lightnings, burst out little afterwards the 10.30 morning of Monday in entire the peninsula of Kassa'ndras causing new agitation in the residents and mobilisation of local services, without fortunately kjndyney'soyn persons. The intense rainfall had as result extinguish most hearths of fire, that sjgo'kajgan the last days in south-western utmost the peninsula, but were caused by lightnings two new fires, in the Sj'viri and in the Kryopigi'. ¢ndres firefighting him they extinguished in time, while by the bigger problems than the floods they are located in two streams, in the Hanjw'ti and in the Peykohw'rj. As declared the representative of PSEA Chalkidiki Hara'lampos Stergja'dis "garages of Prefecture with instruments clean all the streams from apokaj'!dja, that drifted waters of rain". Facilitations and government owned aid in Chalkidiki-Lakonia

This is the news translated, its a bit hard to read and doesnt make a lot of sense, however i think you can get the mainpoint

Static
August 28, 2006 08:49PM
Finaly confirmation from first hand.

Re: Present situation in Hanioti (YES or NO)???
Posted by: kostas (---.otenet.gr)
Date: August 28, 2006 09:11PM

everything its true exept the ecological disaster.the sea will be clean but it will take 3-4 months
Thank you Kostas once again but where are our other Greek friends from Kassandra? Where are always optimistic Sakis? Why there is no answers from them?

August 28, 2006 10:00PM
Static

Is it not possible if the floods are bad that they are helping clean up??
August 28, 2006 10:04PM
Thanks Robbie, I almost got all of that with my rusty Greek, but where did you find it so quickly !!?

Anyway, with my rusty Greek and your ability to find translations, we have found out some news.

I just wish some of the Halkidiki regular posters would get on here and confirm or deny, and at least help the outgoing holidaymakers prepare themselves.
robbie
August 28, 2006 10:07PM
Just Googled for greek translation lol
August 29, 2006 06:56AM
Bringing back to top for more news from locals in Kassandra please
August 30, 2006 06:47AM
hi robbie going to pefkohori thur 31st my friend lives out there..beenspeaking to him no problems whatsoever so cant wait..especially for marios beer in the beerhouse hanioti square hope this helps..have good holiday best wishes alan
hannah
August 30, 2006 12:37PM
jane im in halkidiki we had 1 day of bad rain slight flooding but back to hot weather loacals cant post at the moment very hectic over here
August 30, 2006 01:11PM
Thanks Hannah. Not affecting me as we have already been over this year, but I did not want people to be put off by no response or untrue reports, as Halkidiki is a lovely place.

Enjoy yourself over there, do you live there or long hols? Either way, wish I was back there.

Jane
Petar
August 30, 2006 01:38PM

Some relatively fresh news (Greek newspapers) from Halkidiki

So fire, starts again sad smiley and there was a huge flood in Chanioti and Pefkochori sad smiley
What is next??? Volcano maybe!?!?! Why all this need to happen in those paradise places

[news.ert.gr]

[www.ekathimerini.com]
keith whitehead
September 02, 2006 08:24AM
hi robbie please be assured there were no floods here we had a one hour flash storm and this can happen at any time of the year here nothing was damaged the village is back to normal with a fantastic blue sky regards keith
Else
September 02, 2006 09:45AM
Hi Robbie,everything in the village is back to normal, shops and restaurants are open, the beach is clean again. We are waiting for you!! I live in Hanioti for 13 years, sommer and winter,so trust me ...Only the nature needs another 30 years to come over it and to be like it was before!
Roy
September 02, 2006 04:35PM
Hanioti and Pefkohori have been cleaned and you will have to look really hard to find any damage
I was on the beach yesterday and there were load od sunbathers and swimmers so don't worry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login