Flood in Pefkohori

Flood in Pefkohori

Posted by sarah 
Flood in Pefkohori
August 28, 2006 12:21PM
Has anyone heard about the flood in Pefkohori? Apparently there was a storm which led to a major flood in the village... cars floating and everything...
Re: Flood in Pefkohori
August 28, 2006 12:31PM
I have heard nothing from my Greek friends on this, and I have just checked all the Greek news sites, even the ones in Greek, and can see nothing mentioned. Who told you this Sarah?
Static
August 28, 2006 01:19PM
Yes Sarah,

I heard something simmilar for Hanioti (see topic - Present situation in Hanioti (YES or NO)???)
After big fire with huge ammount of smoke and ash particle emited to air, big rains and flood are quite normal and expecting thing.

I am very sad, what is next thing that will hurt those beatifull towns.
I am affraid that it will be huge pollution of sea by the tons of ash and dirt from hills
August 28, 2006 01:24PM
Static, where did you get this news from. I have checked all the Greek news sites I can find, and I can read Greek, and there is nothing mentioned. None of my friends in Halkidiki either Greek or English have contacted me to confirm this either.
Static
August 28, 2006 01:45PM
As I said, I talk this morning with representative of our tourist agency which is in Hanioti in this moment. My friends planing to go there in few days and they were interesting in present situation.

It is interesting that no one of our Greek friends did not post any informations regarding flood at Kassandra?!?!?!
Static
August 28, 2006 01:47PM
From topic " Present situation in Hanioti"

"I received those new information's from Hanioti this morning. I am asking our Greek friends to tell us more details if they have ones.

1) There were a extremely big rain on Kassandra yesterday (or day before, I am not sure)
2) Good thing is that fire is completely gone on every spot of Kassandra and there is no danger for new one
3) Second good news is that there are no more smoking threes and bushes so air should be very clean again in day or two.
4) Not so good news is that Hanioti (and probably other places) was literally under water for few hours because rivers from hills run away through town on its way to sea. That flood waters were full of ash and dirt from burned forests so just cleaned Hanioti is full of ash again.
5) Worst news is that enormously large quantity of ash and dirt carried by flood rivers gone to sea, to Toroneo bay. This is real ecological catastrophe which could have influence not only to Hanioti, Polihrono and Pefkohori but to whole Kassandra and right side oh Sithonia too.

I received those information's from our tourist agency representative in Hanioti. He was very optimistic two days ago, but today he is quite disappointed and sad."
Static
August 28, 2006 05:51PM
I just heard on TV, those news are confirmed - very serious flood in Pefkohori and Hanioti

Any updates please!!!
August 28, 2006 07:12PM
Which news Static, I cant find anything
August 28, 2006 07:23PM
Jane

I can't find anything either??
August 28, 2006 07:24PM
Vicky, I have found some news, see post about scaring people to visit Hanitoi where I have replied.
August 30, 2006 09:20AM
hi sarah wed 30th just rang my friend in pefkohori..sun is shining and everything fine.i will be there tomorrow myself for 2 weeks so cant wait hope this helps alan
local resident
August 31, 2006 09:47AM
We live here, there are no floods or ash blowing about in the villages, the sea is black in places but not full of rubbish. Its all exagerated load of rubbish which is not good tourism. the beaches in Palliouri are cystal clean. The local authorities have been excellent clearing up after the fire and repainting etc.
bj
August 31, 2006 12:08PM
Left fourka on the afternoon of the 28th aug. Big storm that brough lightning and lots of rain. All gone by the afternoon however. The beach was in a bit of a state due to rain water running down the storm drains as they are supposed to. This, however, should be cleared by now with a bit of sunshine and a good breeze.

On the transfer back from Fourka to thessaloniki, we saw no evidence of massive floods whatsoever. If you're going there soon - relax. It's all fine.
September 01, 2006 06:35PM
It was a thunderstorm, which in England wouldn't cause such a stir,it is fine now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login