Fire in Hanioti

Fire in Hanioti

Posted by bebe beca 
Re: Fire in Hanioti
September 09, 2006 05:07PM
In Hanioti and all is well.......please do not worry everything is back to normal and the square is buzzing as usual!!!
September 10, 2006 09:32PM
I second that Vicky - just got back on last Thursday - all is well again!!!!

Great time as usual!!!!
Thunderer
September 11, 2006 11:14AM
I just came back from Hanioti. There is no effects from the fire in the city itself but the beach itself is not clean. There was char and ash everywhere even two weeks after the fires and this is something that people do not tell you. The water in the sea was also very dirty most of the time as there had been torrential rainfalls two days before I arrived, thereby causing a flash flood and washing all the ash and chars from the hills into the sea. I have to admit though that on the last day the water was very clear but splash around a little and you can still see bits of burnet twigs, grass and ash floating around. Yes, I know there was a fire and all but nobody has ever talked about the clarity and cleanliness of the sea water. All of this is fine and well I guess, you cannot control this and there needs to be a period of time until mother nature cleans up the mess. My biggest gripe is the hospitality of the locals or lack thereof. There was not a single person who smiled or welcomed you in the shop to offer help or say just a simple hello. You get the feeling that you're an outsider and that you're not wanted here. The impession I got was "OK if you wanna spend you money here ok but if not sod off!", a far cry from what is oft described as the "friendly locals'. The friendly locals don't seem too welcoming.
September 11, 2006 05:55PM
Thunderer, you seem the only person I have heard of who does not think the locals are friendly. Could it perhaps be your attitude?

With going over 28 years to Halkidiki, to many resorts and areas, and living there for three years, I can honestly say that most, and I say most as you are never going to get 100% welcome anywhere in the world, locals were friendly.

It does help if you approach with a friendly attitude too. I am frankly amazed at your comments.
Thunderer
September 12, 2006 07:13AM
Of course it's my attititude! You know when saying good morning or hello I do expect at least a sincere reply! I can be pushy like that, sometimes. I even like saying good bye and thank you now and again. I can be tough I know, wiv all of dem niceties and stuff.

Jane you are making baseless pressumptions and suppositions about my character without even knowing me. I have a beautiful two year old girl and a wonderful wife and I never give the impression of being arrogant as you are implying.

Having said that I did find the British a pleasing crowd, they were always smiling and friendly and ready for a chat.
September 12, 2006 10:20AM
Have you ever thought that the reason for not everyone wanting to talk to you is that they are not from England and so may not be fluent??? the British arent the only visitors to the area and you cant expect everyone to speak the same language as you!!!
Thunderer
September 12, 2006 11:18AM
Anyway, I am glad that everybody's having a good time there. Might be just the mood and the tension after the fire and the flash floods. People might have other things on their minds.
September 14, 2006 03:00PM
Unfortunately, I returned from Hanioti last night and I thought the locals were as friendly as ever, if not more so - I was even thanked for being there after all the events....

Shirley
Kylie
April 10, 2009 10:08AM
Hi everyone

I'm developing a new holiday series and I'm trying to make contact with anyone that was in Halkidiki at the time of the fire. We are particuarly interested in trying to get footage. Please can you call me on 0207 424 7641 or email holidays at outlineproductions.co.uk

Many thanks

Kylie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login