Fire in Hanioti

Fire in Hanioti

Posted by bebe beca 
Victoria
Re: Fire in Hanioti
August 23, 2006 06:50AM

I am wondering the same thing, with the news saying poeople are flying back it's a worry about what's happening out there. i will have to phone thomas cook and find out.
August 23, 2006 07:21AM
My husband heard at the radio that another fire has started there. Is that right?
Victoria
August 23, 2006 07:34AM

they said on GMTV that 6km from hanioti there was another fire.
Thunderer
August 23, 2006 07:39AM
Can anyone tall me if water and electricity are back up and are the consequences of the fire visible from within Hanioti?
August 23, 2006 07:57AM
I have spoken now with the tourism agency and they said thet water and electricity are back to normal and that there is no more smoke, the air is ok.
Thunderer
August 23, 2006 07:59AM
Fala beba. winking smiley

I am going there next week (on 30th August) just wondering if I should change my arrangement.
Jo
August 23, 2006 12:49PM
Me and my partner are going to hanioti on 31st aug 06 for 2 weeks
Staying in the Calypso Hotel

Has anyone returned from this area in the last two days that has any info

We are worried we may have to cancel or have a bit of a shock when we arrive there.

Thanks
August 23, 2006 07:30PM
We don't know what to think anymore... we hear opinions that state a good situation in Hanioti and we hear opinions about how bad it is there...
August 23, 2006 07:56PM
beca

I'm with you on the one.....finding it hard to know which side to take but i guess i'll find out myself next week!!
August 23, 2006 08:29PM
I would say you're lucky to have a week before leaving... we're leaving tomorrow, with a 2 years old child and we don't know what to do... All I think about is the air to breath, that's all. I don't mind the "scenery", if I may say so, I'm only trying to find out if the air is breathable or not, I don't want my baby to have breathing problems due to the smoke...
August 23, 2006 08:35PM
I know what you mean.......many things you can cope with but without air...no chance.

We leave Manchester next Thursday (31st) and so do want to go as we get married in Hanioti while we are there......trying to be positive and keeping our fingers crossed at the same time.

I really hope that everything goes ok for you!!!

Vicky
x
August 23, 2006 09:56PM
Can anyone tell me if Gerakini is affected by the smoke and ash ( the beach,the sea nearby ). I have booked at Gerakina beach hotel for Sept. 03.

Liana
Jenny
Re: Fire in Pefkohori
August 23, 2006 10:00PM
We are about to embark on our third holiday to Pefkohori as we love the place. Can anyone tell us if the village has been damaged at all as reports in UK are confusing? Some say Pefkohori was badly affected and others don't mention it at all. It hasn't put us off coming but would like to know what is happening.
Jenny and Ray
Leigh
August 24, 2006 03:52AM
I would just like to inform anybody that is about to depart for their holidays to Halkidiki that there is no danger and don't be put off coming.

Was it bad? Yes it was.

Is it a disaster? No it isn't. Everybody WAS running scared wondering whether they WERE in danger, if their homes/businesses/cars were on fire andif they would ever recover from such terrible events.

How are things now? The effort of the locals to restore order and normality has been outstanding. Everybody taking part in their own little clean up operations. After a meeting with the local shop owners, everybody is converging on the square at 7AM to clean up any remaining damage or anything affected by the smoke and ash, not fire. I can count on one hand how many hours sleep my wife has had in the last 3 days. Many of the villagers risked their own lives keeing Hanioti village the beautiful and safe holiday destination that it was and still is. We owe them a debt of gratitude. The very night after the main fire, as soon as we had electricity and water, we were open. The next night, everything was open. So things are pretty good considering....

What about the smoke and ash? Yes the last few days have been affected by smoke but every day gets better and better. A little smoke was to be expected as thousands of square metres of countryside went up in flames. The ash, well, nothing a good hosing or sweeping hasn't sorted.

I am speaking for Hanioti but I am sure this is being repeated up and down the peninsular by other villages.

So, if you are planning to visit, there is a friendly welcome waiting for you and please dont abandon us for the sake of a lot of exaggeration and sacremongering.

Leigh & Eleni

The Hot Goblin
August 24, 2006 05:30AM
We are going... Vicky, have a great holiday! And a happy marriage!
Great holidays for all of you who are to go to Hanioti or other places! And good luck!

Thunderer
August 24, 2006 06:32AM
We're having the exact same concerns Beba. We also have a two year old daughter and would not want to cause any health problems for her. We talked to our agency and they are adamant that everything is OK and that nobody has returned (which is a load of bullcrap since dozens of buses of tourists have come back to Skopje). Anyway a friend of mine sent me a message from Polihrono saying that it was bad for two days but yesterday it was great.

I suppose we still have 6 days left until the smoke clears out and as Leigh and Eleni have pointed, out the locals have already cleaned most of the ash and cinders. I mean you would to if there was a fire in your city. You'd try to clean the mess as soon as possible regardless whether it is a tourist destination or not.

Me ever the optimist.

------

Ilija
Alaina
August 24, 2006 06:37AM
hi, i have just come back from Halkidiki it is all under control. I have been going since i was 7 the scenary is devestating but luckily people are safe. My family were very lucky as the wind changed direction and we were on the border of the fire. They know what there doing and everybody is getting involved to help eachother. The fire started in Polichrono and then Hanioti, Ag. Paraskevi, Pefkorhori, N.Skioni, Kassandrino and Fourka, Loutra. Evereyone is safe!
Nick Rose
August 24, 2006 06:03PM
I have just got home and wouldnt advise you to go, although the fire is contained the smoke is very bad sorry
Becky
August 24, 2006 08:13PM
Hello everyone if use are worried about the fire in hanoti it is all under control now a beach bar has been burnt down in hanoti and the hotel angelo got the resturant roof ablaze but got put out befor any main damage but who ever is goin soon i wouldnt worrie to much i go again for me 3rd time in 3 weeks for 2 weeks i love it it is proper boss if no one has bin befor i no what it has been like because my mate told me cause her fella works there ok
if so please reply
ta becky from liverpool
ALISON
August 25, 2006 03:49PM
CALL YOUR OPERATOR AND CANCEL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login