Fire in Hanioti

Fire in Hanioti

Posted by bebe beca 
Fire in Hanioti
August 21, 2006 08:09PM
Does anybody know something about the fire started in Hanioti? We'll be there on the 25th of August, and we need to know what to expect...

Many thanks,
Ioana.
chris
Re: Fire in Hanioti
August 21, 2006 08:29PM
August 21, 2006 08:38PM
Thank you, Chris!
beverley
August 21, 2006 10:00PM
Hi

What is latest on fire? Desperately worried for friends can anyone update us please???
Jeff fourkas mad dog man
August 22, 2006 12:53AM
The BBC's Malcolm Brabant in Athens says the temperature on Monday was about 42C (107F) and the flames were fanned by a seasonal northern wind called the Meltemi.

Three fingers of land jut out from the Halkidiki peninsula, with the westernmost, Kassandra, affected by the fire.

Ms Leaney told the BBC she had been in her apartment with others when she spotted the flames in the hills.

The rooms "suddenly filled with smoke" and they fled to the beach "with only the belongings we had on us", along with other tourists and local residents.

She said people were walking along the beach shouting the names of family members.

Homes, hotels and campsites have been evacuated. No injuries have been reported.

A local resident, Dimitri Lianais, told the BBC it was "very very windy. A few thousand actually have been on the beach and then the wind changed and they fled to different directions".

He said his home was among those damaged.

'Dodging ash'

The villages of Hanioti and Pefkohori are among the resorts on the Halkidiki peninsula which have been affected.

In Pefkohori, the beach is said to be packed with thousands of people, many preparing to sleep out on sunbeds.

Craig Shakespeare, who is in Hanioti with his girlfriend Lyndsey Jones, spotted the flames on hills he estimated were several miles (km) away from his hotel balcony.

Holidaymaker Lyndsey Jones sent this picture from Hanioti

"I hoped the fire was contained, but literally within five minutes trees 300 yards (275m) from us were on fire," he told the BBC.

"The wind was blowing, and the flames were going everywhere." He said he was "dodging hot ash" as he fled to the nearby beach.

Mr Shakespeare said hundreds of tourists, the majority Greek, were gathered on the beach.

He said he had been told his hotel was on fire, along with some other buildings in Hanioti, but that he was now informed that the fire was contained to the main road.

Some 2,000 British tourists are estimated to be among the holidaymakers in the region.

The UK Foreign Office has set up a phone number for worried relatives: 020 7008 1500.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you been affected by the fire? Are you in the area? Send us your comments and experiences using the form below.
You can send your pictures and video to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to 07725 100 100.

dave
August 22, 2006 05:41AM
Many thanks for info managed to speak to our friends in Hanioti in early hours and everyone OK
S
August 22, 2006 07:03AM
Which hotels have been effected? Any in Hanioti? Our beautiful Hanioti i hope it isnt too damaged
August 22, 2006 07:45AM
Hi spoke to our friends who have central cafe today - Hanioti village hotel ok - Lesse hotel ok, fire did get down to destroy a beach bar outside village. Ampelia Hotel is also ok.
no electricity or water as of 8am UK time in Hanioti. Some damage to roof of supermarket on main road in Hanioti and some cars burnt out.
Area was thick with smoke but this has cleared due to high winds -fires are well under control .
Our thought are with our many friends who live in Hanioti and hope all are well.
August 22, 2006 07:56AM
does anyone know if the angelo is ok, i have been trying to contact Gary but cant, i am so worried
Brenda Drinkwater
August 22, 2006 08:01AM
Any news of the Hotel Cleopatra on the main road of Hanioti accross from the Angelo ? Our thoughts are with everyone and hope all are safe
August 22, 2006 10:49AM
Spoke to my friend Thanasis who owns central cafe in the square this morning - No hotels have been damaged , other than possibly cosmetic damage by wind blown embers and smoke. hope this helps
August 22, 2006 10:57AM
Thats brilliant Steve thanks. Do we know if the loca poeple will be keepoing resturants, bars open or is it complete chaos - some reports detail a bombsite but others say it has really calmed down and all ok?

Dean
August 22, 2006 02:44PM
Would love to know if Naias Apt are ok if anyone has news?
August 22, 2006 02:52PM
I have just spoken to First Choice who had a 1pm briefing, they say Naias is undamaged and fully operational with electricity and water. we fly out on Thursday and are staying thre too. Hopefully things will get back to normal quickly and evrything will be okay.
Helen Gilfoyle
August 22, 2006 03:10PM
Any news on the Hilltop Hotel?

What about the Square? I am particularly keen to hear about Gustos Italien Restaurant and my friend Laurence who works there.

Helen
August 22, 2006 03:30PM
Can anyone tell us if Pefkohori was damaged by the fire. Hoping everyone is OK ?Just returned (2 weeks ago) from this beautiful part of the world and was made to feel so welcome. Best wishes to Kate, her boyfriend, Phil, Annette and Paul at Paul's Place.
Best Wishes
Sandra and Ray South Wales

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/08/2006 03:33PM by jomiem.
August 22, 2006 08:02PM
So, by now the fire should be stopped, right? All my family is insisting on cancelling our holiday, but we Don't agree with them, so we have some issues now...

Does anybody have updates on the situation?
August 22, 2006 08:13PM
We are due to fly out on the 31st and at present are not even considering cancelling the holiday. I expect things will be more or less back to normal in a weeks time.

It would be great to hear from others out there on how the situation is whilst wishing all those families and friends in the resort safety.

August 22, 2006 08:23PM

The fires have stopped the village of Hanioti has power and water, and I am sure the other villages also have their supply.
August 23, 2006 06:47AM
I am still going - flying tomorrow. Ih have spoken to the insurance company and apparently u will only get your money back from cancelling if the fporeign office suggest you dont travel. At moment they are not sdaying this

Dean
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login