3g coverage

3g coverage

Posted by geoff wilkinson 
geoff wilkinson
3g coverage
August 12, 2006 06:02PM
Hi - Im off to Halkidiki next week but unfortunately Im in the middle of a big business deal and will need to contact the office - I have a 3G card in my laptop and was wondering what the coverage was like - if it is poor can anyone recommend an internet cafe nearby (or a freindly hotel where I could blag a connection for an hour?)

I am staying at the Chrousso Village Apartments

Thanks

Geoff
di james
Re: 3g coverage
August 12, 2006 08:44PM
Definitely an internet cafe in hanioti, but couldnt direct you there.
geoff wilkinson
August 13, 2006 02:14PM
Thanks Di - anyone know how to get there or what its called?
August 13, 2006 02:57PM
It is opposite Zytheion beer house. If you park in the large car park - follow directions - then you will see everybody walking down one street towards the square. Just before the end near the square Zytheion is on your right, and just past on your right on the corner of a small sidestreet is the internet cafe - well it is a bar actually with about 6 laptops now, and I think it was 5 euros an hour which is quite expensive for Halkidiki but handy.

If you go by taxi, get them to drop you off at the top of the road near the square, walk down the road and just past square it is on your right.

There are internet cafes at most of the villages, but this is the one with the most up to date computers, albeit laptops.

Hope that helps.

It is not as difficult as it sounds to get there, you will see when you are there. But most people know the Beer House Zytheion, so ask for that.
ron
August 13, 2006 06:12PM
According to the advertisings on the airport of Thessaloniki there must be 3G coverage in Greece. Cosmote and Vodafone are advertising with it.

I had a GPRS connection everywhere in Halkidiki. It was a little slow, but it worked.
I'm waiting the bill now :-(
geoff wilkinson
August 14, 2006 03:03PM
Thanks for the info.
Mark_
August 14, 2006 10:54PM
Interesting. I'm in Halkidiki in September and also have a laptop and 3G card (with Orange). I'll be happy if I can at least get GPRS coverage to collect emails etc. I don't really want to use an Internet Cafe personally, unless they have wifi available. The trouble is, I don't want to use a machine in a cafe and put my private details into it (security and all). Do these Cafe's have wifi available so we can use our laptops?
geoff wilkinson
August 15, 2006 01:21PM
Mark - keep an eye out for future postings - I will let you know how I get on
geoff wilkinson
September 01, 2006 08:53AM
Hi - just got back - there was no coverage where I was staying but there is an internet cafe in pefkhori (the lobby) which has wifi access its next door to the petrol station and the cash point. There is another internet cafe in Pefkhori about 100m further up the road, and another on the main square in Hanioti - so no problem with accessing your emails.

Cheers
Jo
September 01, 2006 10:19AM
Hi Geoff,

As you have just got back please could you give an update on how the area is recovering after the fire? Has the ash cleared?

Also what did you think of the area in general, did you have a lovely holiday?

Thanks.
-Mark
September 01, 2006 04:17PM
Thanks for lettings us know Geoff, I'm flying out tomorrow so the information is handy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login