Athens

Athens

Posted by markr 
Athens
July 11, 2006 01:31AM
No response from the diving question that i posted, looks like I'll have to wait 'till I get there. That aside I would like to visit Athens to see the sights and visit some of the museums, I know I can fly there in about 1 hour, has anyone done this either alone or as part of an organised trip? and if so what sort of prices are we talking about.

Thanks.
Mark.
vm
Re: Athens
July 11, 2006 06:34AM
Mark,
hi,
Athens is quite far from the halkidiki area.
thessaloniki is closer ( 1 hour driving ), but Athens, I just don't think is realistic.
It isn't a city to just jump on plane in the morning and return at dusk.
It is an other trip, an other holiday.
If you choose Halkidiki, I assure you there is plenty to be seen there as well.
Try Petralona, a boat cruise by the Mount Athos, etc.
cheers.
Re: Athens
July 11, 2006 10:19AM
I agree, we have driven from Athens and it takes a good six hours. The plane takes about 40 mins, but remember the time to check in at either end.

Also personally I think Thessaloniki is a much nicer city. It has museums, lots of history, the old town, Jewish museum, fantastic places to eat, nice shops and is on the waterfront. There are loads of historical sites in Thessaloniki, you can find them on line. It is only an hour from Halkidiki and although we drive, I believe the buses are quite frequent.

Just a thought.

Diving, did not see your question as we have only just got back, but there is Odyssey Diving Club but perhaps that was not your question?

Jane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login