Sithonia, is it worth car hire.

Posted by miker 
July 08, 2006 09:25AM
Hi all,
going to sithonia soon for the first time and I was wondering if there's enough to see to warrant car hire.Can anyone give me any pointers,
thanks Mike.
Re: Sithonia, is it worth car hire.
July 08, 2006 01:49PM
I think you will need a car as Sithonia is more spread out than Kassandra. So unless you just want to chill out on a beach I would recommend a car.

Where are you staying?
July 08, 2006 01:52PM
Thanks for the reply,we are staying at the Athena pallas at Elia.
July 08, 2006 06:52PM
Hi, just looked where the hotel is and it is 6km from Nea Marmaras. Whilst I have always stayed on Kassandra peninsula, we have driven around Sithonia many times and we always visit Nea Maramaras. It has lots of tavernas, shops etc and is quite a nice little town right by the sea. Lots of choice of eateries.

Up on the main palm of Halkidiki you will find a place called Parthenon. Just a small, even tiny, village with a nice taverna and lovely views.

You can go on boat trips from Marmaras too. We have driven all round and there are lots of camp sites on Sithonia, but you can use almost all of them for their beaches. There are also lots and lots of nice small coves, bays, beaches where you can find yourself alone and peaceful.

This year we visited VouVourou for the day (driving from Kassandra peninsula). We were very pleased with the area and we found a lovely beach to the right of the main beach which was much less crowded and even had a very small tiny bay area which we had all to ourselves. Overall we thought we would like to visit there again. There seemed to be lots of choices of tavernas, some supermarkets and the beaches were really pretty.

We have also visited in the past Sarti, Porto Carras etc. If you hire a car and drive all around the peninsula (quite a drive, but not so bad as if you had to come from Kassandra) I think you will enjoy it. There are some spectacular views and some really twisting mountain roads, but it is very pretty and wild and not built up so much as the other peninsula.

Have a great time.

If I can help any further email me.

Jane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login