Strand Village Apartments

Posted by greekyoghurt 
June 26, 2006 02:06PM
These are the worst accommodation we have ever stayed in. There is building work going on to the right of the reception which I believe are all allocated for Thomsons guests!!! Thomsons tried to tell us that the site was not operational - I have a video to show it is fully operation!!.
DO NOT BOOK HERE ITS AWFUL !!!
vm
Re: Strand Village Apartments
June 26, 2006 02:23PM
Hi there,
where is "strand village" located?
kassandra or sithonia?
what town?
do they have a web site?
June 26, 2006 03:19PM
They ae in Hanioti
Sheila
June 26, 2006 09:35PM
Isnt it called Hanioti Bay now? Thought they had been taken over by Russians!
jayne
June 28, 2006 01:33PM
I have just booked these apartments for the 17th July 2006 can someone tell me if building work etc is a real problem as I will contact Thomson to get update before I leave!!!
sammi
June 29, 2006 11:27AM
jayne i am going the 17th aswell, i dont know fully about the building work, but if you find out could yo please pass the message on thanks
Laura
June 29, 2006 01:37PM
jayne and sammi.
Me and my friends are due to go to the strand on monday the 3rd july, we recieved a letter off thomson telling us about 'grade 2' building work going on. I don't know how bad it is - but it is bad enough for them to offer us alternative dates or destination. We spent 2 hours in the travel agents yesterday and chose to stay at the strand because they could only offer us a 2 star hotel and a £10 reduction so fingers crossed it wont be too bad. If you are leaving on the 17th, you should get a letter through too.
alison
June 29, 2006 03:07PM
Hi, just seen you post, guess what we are off on the 17th and are now filled with fear!! 'I have also just rung Thompson who said it is not on site but on a nearby one and the noise is not bad at all and certainly not enough to warrant a move although they would if we requested?!!?? All the positive reviews I have read that swung the booking for me state how great the place is until I notice they now say that it has been taken over by Russians ! what else did you find that was awful , please help as we are unsure about trying to get moved, many thanks
June 30, 2006 09:46AM
My advice to you is move! All Thomsons guests are located in horrible side rooms, some of which are dark and smelley. The building site is awful with rubbish piled up everywhere.
Thomsons eventually moved us because we refused to go in the room. Shows you how bad it was.
alison
July 01, 2006 04:23PM
Thankyou for further info, we had a nightmare day yesterday on the phone to thompson who indeed are now sending out letters so get something done asap!!. we were to go as a group meeting up out there but due to all the bad reports now filtering through on many sites after many calls to Thompson got a full reund as it is clearly worse out there than they once thought. They could offer us nothing in the same area. sounds like we had a lucky escape as many other things have come to light, real shame as the area sounded great.
Sheila
July 02, 2006 07:23AM
Its a shame your going to miss out on Hanioti, dont let the strand put you off!! Ive been to Hanioti 6 times now and love it...
Try Sunset Holidays or Thomas Cook they have a few hotels out there....
July 02, 2006 10:12PM

Alison you have'nt given up have you, I've been reading this thread, and its a real shame about the building works. But dont miss out there are lots of great hotels, and you'll soon get hooked on the area.

jeff fourkas mad dog man
July 03, 2006 06:41AM
LOTS of nice appartments in FOURKA which is only a short taxi ride to Hanioti

Fourkas thrown THOMO`S out
Roy
July 03, 2006 08:21AM
Hi all
We have just booked this for start of September.

Is there any parking? as we will prob hire a car as the airport is nearly 100km away. Is this a good idea?

Sheila
July 03, 2006 05:47PM
I think you would probably have to park on the main road, but by the sound of it i wouldnt do that with all the building work!!!
Roy
July 04, 2006 09:12PM
Are the apartments so bad that they outway the area?
I do not intend to spend much time awake in the rooms, rather I would be out and about.
Are they realy THAT bad?
alison
July 07, 2006 06:45PM
hi,
all I can say is that following some searching and sadly many negative reviews along with Thompson refunding our money ( how unusual is that ! they had clearly had many unhappy customers as they did not question it or deny the building work was very disruptive ) we pulled out as they could not offer us another 4* in the same area and same dates. I did think we would go anyway as the deal we got was very good and even thought we would put up with this grade 2 building work that was going on but other points just made us run, they are.........of course the building work on 4 buildings going on along side, noise, dust , rubbish etc, rooms seem to keep being described as damp, smelly beds, @#$%& walls, rubbish showers, likewise aircon, No loungers around the pool and you have to pay to use the ones on the beach with 8 of us that would of been a fortune, cheeky does not even begin to cover it, what is a holiday if you can't sit by the pool and read a book !!! along with a few other minor niggles. I must state that we are still keen to go to Halkidiki as in every other way it sounds stunning, just did not want to rough it quite as much as I think we would of ended up doing. oh and the transfer is fairly long at about 1-2 hours but thats to be expected to reach these beautiful places.
Terri
July 13, 2006 09:04AM
Has anyone come back recently? I booked this yesterday for a week from 28 August & am beginning to wish I hadn't! Is it really that bad?
Catherine
July 19, 2006 03:11PM
Hi,

Me and my friend Becky are meant to be staying in the apartments from the 21st Aug, can anyone who has stayed there recently tell me what I should do. Is it ok? or do you recomend we arrange something else??
July 19, 2006 04:22PM
Hi everyone,

I got back from Strand Village apartments on July 10th. There was building work going on to the right of reception but to be honest it never bothered me at all but I wasn't in one of the apartments facing it and I booked through Thomson. I didn't find that rubbish was piled up everywhere and it wasn't that noisy or dusty from the work either, but I suppose at the end of the day it is all about personal opinion. Our room wasn't dark or smelly, we had maid service everyday too and our room was always clean with the air conditioning working fine and no damp. It is true that there isn't much room to sunbathe around the pool. It is 6 Euros for 2 sunbeds and parasol on the beach infront of the hotel. I was told it is run by Russians but don't see what a problem that can be. There are different nationalities holidaying at Strand Village but the staff all spoke English.

I read on the forum before I went that Halikidiki was infested with wasps and could be an absolute knightmare. I was really worried about that and when I was there I had no problem at all. No more wasps than this country so sometimes peoples ideas of what is good or bad is completely different.

I thought Hanoti itself was brilliant. Loads of water sports, shops, bars and restaurants to visit. Well worth a visit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login