Best place to change cash??

Posted by angie58 
June 24, 2006 09:26PM
This will be our first time in Hanioti.I would be very grateful if anyone could give me advice on the best place (and safest without being ripped off with really high commision) to change English cash.
Thanks,
Angie
Re: Best place to change cash??
June 25, 2006 12:39PM
Think you will find it's England that 'rip people off', not the Greek.If you use the cash machines English banks charge.
leza
June 25, 2006 12:46PM
my advice would be get a nationwide account before you go and use the cash machines you'll get the exchange rate at whatever it is at the time, no commision and no charges
June 27, 2006 03:20PM
HI,
WE HAVE BEEN GOING TO HANIOTI FOR THE PAST 16 YEARS ,AND NOT ONCE EVEN AS TOTAL STRANGERS HAVE WE EVER BEEN RIPPED OFF BY A GREEK PERSON,I THINK YOU WILL FIND THEM ALL WARM WELCOMING, HAPPY TO HELP, AND OUR OWN EXPIERIENCE IS THAT THEY ARE AS HONEST AS THE DAY IS LONG,THE GREEK PEOPLE ARE WARM AND WELCOMING, WHO WORK HARD.PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE BEFORE YOU GO, EXCHANGE RATES , COMMISSION RATES ETC ARE ALWAYS ON DISPLAY!!
HOPE YOU THROUGHLY ENJOY YOUR 1ST VISIT TO HANIOTI.
KIND REGARDS SHERRILYN
June 27, 2006 03:28PM
Agree with you completely,absolutely wonderful people,Never been "ripped off' by any person in Greecesmiling smiley Thankyou for wording my thoughts.
David and Fay
June 27, 2006 06:29PM
We are staying in Kriopigi, are there any banks there? Will they rip us off? Would it be best to just take Euros and worry about getting excess changed back when we return?

Thanks for any replies
June 27, 2006 07:59PM
we always take sterling travellers cheques with a good wodge of euros to boot

always find best place to change is in hotel (most owners wont rip u off)

when u get home no commission of cheques from post office, i believe so no loss there eh, (though i would check that out - poor pun i know)

cheers

June 28, 2006 02:23PM
Ripped Off sounds quite offensive .
Manc lass
June 30, 2006 01:30PM
Maybe you should consider one of those new American Express Travellers Cards.

I think you pay about 15 Quid for the card and you put a minimum of 200 pounds on and then use it at cash machines.

I dont think you pay any exchange charges with these as you have already paid the 15 quid charge for the card.

I Could be wrong though so I would check with your bank or travel agents who sell them.

We normally take Euros in travellers Cheques and our hotel charges 3% to change.

June 30, 2006 03:44PM
If you get Euros from the Post Office to take with you (about £1.38 exchange ) for when you get there. Cash machines can be expensive if your provider puts on extra charges, Nationwide do not I got £1.46 exchange and no charges from Nationwide Dedit Card. Have found traveagent just of the Sqaure towards the Beach bar always very fair price and no charges.
July 03, 2006 08:27PM
Thanks for all the replies that answered my question
Angie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login