U.K to Greece - Car & Ferry advice needed!

U.K to Greece - Car & Ferry advice needed!

Posted by mark in manchester 
Re: U.K to Greece - Car & Ferry advice needed!
September 01, 2013 07:21PM
As David has said there are many routes that you can take depending how long you want to take and how cheap.
The fastest route but the most expensive is through France.
If you want to use the drive as part of your holiday and take your time miss out France and go through Belgium and Germany.Switzerland has some stunning countryside but you do have to pay for a sticker for your windscreen and don't speed.
So make your mind up how you want to do it and then go online and choose a route.
Please do come back here and let us know what you do
umair
September 03, 2013 09:30PM
i need to get from uk to greece. how long would it take.
September 04, 2013 06:12AM
Depends how fast you drive!!!!
September 06, 2013 09:40AM
Depends entirely on the route you take, how fast you want to drive, whether you want to stay in hotels or camp sites or drive through the night, which ferry you take from Venice/Ancona/Brindisi, which port you want to arrive at Igoumenitsa/Patras/Pireus and where in Greece you want to get to..when you`ve decided those...ask me again
September 09, 2013 05:39PM
Once you get to calais you can get down to Ancona in around 20hours just stopping for fuel,food and to stretch your legs.It's then 15 hours on the ferry to Greece.
Far better though to drive slower,stop more often and see some of the countries that your driving through.
read the previous posts to get an idea of the different routes
malcolm
May 09, 2014 10:11AM
Hi, Did you manage to sort out the journey with your family and car to Greece by ferry as i need to do the same.

Regards,
Malcolm
Bob
January 29, 2015 06:20PM
Hi Susan, 4 years on i'm replying to your message about you turning 60 and taking your dogs to Greece by car. Likewise i'm just about to hit the 60 mark and for it i'm planing a little drive to greece from france. One question, are there any restrictions on taking a dog into greece ??. I drove to greece in the 70's in a little mini van and thought its about time i did it again
Bob
February 01, 2015 02:03PM
Make sure your dogs passport and vaccinations are all up to date and well in date, there should be no problems, but recently they introduced TRACES which makes it more difficult to bring dogs over from Greece to new homes unless from a TRACES registered premises. This should not affect private pets, and UK dogs which have a UK passport though, but make sure chip works properly etc.because there are apparently now many more checks when you come back into the UK. Look at DEFRA website to get lastest info, but basically between 24 and 48 hours I think (maybe a bit longer now) on the return you need to see a vet and have chip checked, dog wormed and tick treated and all marked and signed into the passport ready to come over to UK.

Please take great care of your dog whilst in Greece, whilst we lived there for many years with our dog and were OK, there are still bouts of poisoning go on throughout the year, so absolutely supervise your dog everywhere you walk.

Enjoy, the best times in Greece were when we had our own dog with us and we converted many Greek old timers into at least accepting our big black labrador as a gentle sweet kind soul ! Swimming in the sea was a joy, although we avoided tourist times of day.
banis
September 24, 2015 10:23AM
Hello!

Looking for a travel companion from Greece to UK via car and ferry (2nd driver preferably).

This is my first time using this site and i have found a lot of very helpful info here so thank you to all.

I am currently in Greece and looking for any info/experience that people may have had, driving FROM Greece to UK with a dog. It is far too expensive to fly him over and i also need to bring my car with me. I am a female clinical pychologist and would be travelling alone. I am an experienced driver but am also under pressure to arrive in the UK (Newcastle) by the 25th October due to work commitments. I have read that it can be done in 2 nights and 3 days but i'm not sure if that's safe when i'm the only driver. It appears that going via Italy is the shortest way so I'm considering that. The perfect situation would be if someone is interested in driving to the UK with me. I would be happy to pay all petrol/toll fees etc., if the person would be willing to pay for their motel stay and food.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
September 28, 2015 06:55PM
I normally do the trip with no overnight stops and find it ok.
If you plan to have 2 stops you should be able to manage no problem.
Do make sure that you do book your channel crossing as it is very expensive if you just turn up
Jane Shea
November 26, 2015 03:51PM
Hi, I was wondering if you could send me your more detailed info on the trip, and also if possible a overall price on how much you think it might cost
Thank you
Jane
Peterq
July 18, 2017 05:38AM
Any detailed route for driving a small campervan from Nottingham to Greece would be very welcome.
Thanks.
Pete
Mart
September 28, 2017 11:37AM
I have done the trip to Greece by car many,many times. I always go:

UK, France, Switzerland, Italy, - car ferry - Greece

I would NEVER consider driving through the former Yugoslavia

My route takes five days at a leisurely 350 - 400 miles per day with hotel / motel stops on three nights and one night on the ferry

I can supply a detailed route, good hotels, ferry details ETC if required
Calvin
July 08, 2018 07:40AM
Hi when was the last time u drove to Greece ,I'm looking for some advise .calvin
June B
January 19, 2019 06:10AM
Hi All
I was wondering if this site is still active as the last post was in 2018. Does anyone know of a route to Greece with a Motorhome? We have been through France to Spain but found it very expensive if you use toll roads in France, which we try not to do. Spain is beautiful and it's worth the journey though! This year we hope to drive to Greece and would like any advice on the journey through the old Yugoslavia as we would like to visit these countries too.
Thank you June B
Tony1633@btinternet.com
March 18, 2019 06:03PM
Can I have a county shin from UK to Greece return couple of months gap if anybody call me or who email me please thank you.
Jacquib
October 29, 2019 08:12AM
Hi

We are taking a caravan to zante next April and would be grateful if any advice please

We were thinking of going the Balkan route as appears to be cheaper but from previous comments and research just wondering how roads are and safety?

Jacqui
May 19, 2020 01:11PM
The standard route that most people take from the UK is first to drive from Calais to Ancona (or Bari). There are various routes, but personally I prefer to got through Eastern France to Basel, across Switzerland to the Gotthard Tunnel and then down past Milan. Whichever route you take, once you get to the Italian coast you can then catch the ferry to Igoumenitsa (using either Minoan Lines or Superfast/ANEK). From Igoumenitsa, the A2 motorway will take you all the way across Northern Greece to the Turkish border.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login