Outdoor markets

Outdoor markets

Posted by graham 
Outdoor markets
June 03, 2006 04:54PM
Hi, me and my wife are travelling out to the Alkyon Apartments in Kriopigi on Thursday 8th June (cant wait) and as she is a complete shopaholic we would like to know if there are any outdoor markets nearby we have booked a car for a week so travelling around should'nt be a problem unless i get lost.LOL any info will be appreciated thanks
Re: Outdoor markets
June 03, 2006 05:38PM

Kassandria has a market tues or weds cant remember, but worth a visit easy to find, ask the locals. Dont worry if your hiring a car the whole area is the size of the isle of wight, so cant really get lost.
June 03, 2006 06:20PM
There is also a great market at Nea Moudania, which is about half an hour from Kriopigi on the way back to Thessaloniki. Not sure what day, will ask Kerry again ! The two markets are on different days, I think one is on a Wed and one on a Thursday, but not sure which way round.

The Nea Moudania one is huge. Lots of clothes, shoes, veg, fruit, household and much more. You can park one end and walk right through to the other end, and back ! The Kassandria one is much smaller but still lots to see, olives, cheeses, meats, veg, fruit, some clothes and shoes etc.

You will also love the Alkion, we have stayed there and it is owned by friends of our own Greek friends. Very clean, lovely gardens and pool, extremely friendly owners and staff, can't go wrong really. The only reason we are not there this time on 15 June is that the air con doesnt come on until July like most hotels, so we are going to an apartment just for the sake of sanity as we cannot sleep in the heat.

Have a great time. Try to visit the Sweet Coffee Shop on the main road, owned by Morfy and Sakis our friends. Great crepes, savoury and sweet, sandwiches, ice creams, drinks, chocolate puddings to die for, and super friendly people.

There is a great old style indoor market in Thessaloniki, but as you are new to the area I would not recommend driving in as it took us ten years to find the parking places, which are very expensive plus of course the mad Greek drivers (who are there in Halkidiki, but the streets are not so wide and busy as the city). But if you can get a bus in, I think it is well worth a look. Much nicer city than Athens (and London come to that). On the waterfront cafes, Aristotles Square with lots of coffee shops and nice nik nak shops, near to the market which sells all sorts (herbs, corks, olive oil, household goods, met, chicken), and also the fish market which is fantastic to see, so many different fish and shellfish. Nice place to eat in market called Smyrnie, typical Greek taverna, choose from the dishes of hot food already made, also made to order specials and full of Greek people, which proves it is good! There are fantastic shops in Thessaloniki. Expensive, designer, crafty, kitchenware, M&S (!), chemists, shoe shops, oh I could go on, I love it there. It just gets so hot walking around the city, that is the downside.

Lots of people don't try to see the city, or go on an organised trip into the town for shopping. Too expensive ! much cheaper to get a bus in, or cadge a lift if someone is going into the city that day. You are not restricted as to time and do you own thing. There is of course the museum which is great, the White Tower, and lots of other historical sites if you are interested in those. You can get an organised trip to do sightseeing and shopping, but unless you are into all the historical bits I would suggest going on your own and perhaps just doing one, say the museum.

Hope this helps, have a great time. Cant wait to go myself, only just over a week !

Jane
June 03, 2006 06:23PM
Moudania market is well worth a visit,it's in Nea Moudania & the place itself is worth a look round,visit the market(some fab stuff,really cheap)then stay in Moudania for lunch,you'll get round really easily by car,it's pretty much 1 main road goes the whole length of the peninsula or if you don't fancy driving both markets are easily reached by bus.Moudania market is on a Wednesday & seeing as you're staying in Kriopigi i might just see you as i arrive on the 13th,staying above Casablanca bar in Kriopigi.

smiling smiley
June 04, 2006 01:36PM
Thanks Kerry, Jane & Joanne, will check out your suggestions for the markets and probally take a trip to Thessaloniki. Hpefuuly meet some likeminded people like ourselves and if anyone wants a lift to Thessaloniki for a shopping trip get in touch at the Alykon in Kriopigi we are there from 8th June till 22nd, and as Billy Connelly once said "a strangers just a friend i have'nt yet meet" lol.
Hope eveyone has a great time
June 04, 2006 04:24PM
OK Graham. We arrive 15 June and are staying in Siviris, but we will be at the Sweet Coffee Shop most days and/or evenings. Hubby is a big chap, mind you I am not that small, lol !! Quite often you might see me behind the counter mixing up some crepe mixture when they get busy.....

We stay til 2 July, then we go to Thessaloniki for four nights as we want to explore a bit more. Funnily enough I am not a city girl at all, we prefer the countryside, it is just that we think Thessaloniki is such a fascinating and beautiful city, mind you the sun sure helps! We are probably going to try to get north of the city to see the bear sanctuary run by a wine merchant in his home village.

Have a great time, might see you at Morfys then.

Jane
sergio
June 08, 2006 11:49AM

Does anyone know if there are markets near Sarti, Sithonia? Thank in advance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login