First Trip to Halkidiki

First Trip to Halkidiki

Posted by Emma Heath 
Emma Heath
First Trip to Halkidiki
May 31, 2006 10:34AM
Hi Guys and Girlies

Me and my partner are off to Halkidiki in the next 3 wks - im so looking forward to but ive never stayed in Halkidiki.

We are staying at the Hotel Nostos in Kalithea - has anybody stayed there before and what is the resort like??

What is there to do out there - has anybody got any suggestions??

And all important question for ian - football - any ideas whether he could watch the world cup out there. Tutttt!!!

Thanks Emma
Re: First Trip to Halkidiki
May 31, 2006 12:19PM
Hiya can't comment on your hotel i'm afraid but i'm sure someone can help or look on www.holidaysexposed.com or www.holidaysuncovered.com Kalithea is one of if not the busiest resorts in Halkidiki,lots of shops,cafe bars,music bars & restaurants & fast food places,can get a bit manic at weekends but then so can the rest of Halkidiki as it's where a lot of Greeks go for their weekend break & holidays.Plenty to keep you busy & i'm pretty certain watersports are available too.Just outside the main resort of Kalithea is a strip of bars & clubs that i've often staggered out of at 6 a.m before but if that's not your thing then stick to the music bars in the main part,Dolphin bar is nice with lovely views out over the next peninsula if you go to the balcony bit at the back & they all stay open til the early hours.Plenty of excursions are available if you like that sort of thing,mostly historical sites & there's the shopping trip to the city of Thessaloniki,personally wouldn't bother,it's like London(great if you like London & big cities) & if you get lost in the city it's hard to find someone that speaks English.Worth visiting a few of the other resorts too,some lovely quiet little villages & some like Kalithea(but on a smaller scale,cheaper & flat to the beach as there's a hill where you are but you're hotel might be down the hill anyway so not a problem) & yes pretty much everywhere has Sky sports so Ian(bless his little cottons)will be able to watch the footie no problem.I'm off to Halki in 2 weeks so might bump into you in Bubbles bar ........literally bump into you i mean haha!!!!!!!!! x

smiling smiley
May 31, 2006 06:30PM
hi bus service is ok and relatively cheap to visit nearby villages - think Hanioti is about 15 km away - great village based around a square with tavernas. We have been going there for 16 years and were there in may. if you visit Hanioti call in at Cntral Cafe on the square right opposite cigarette kiosk and say hi to our friends Thanasis and Menia who will make you very welcome.
The peninsula is goodfor touring by hire car - the road around Kassandra starts and finishes at Kalithea so you cant ger lost. have a great time Steve & Sherrilyn
Emma Heath
June 01, 2006 06:55AM
Thanks guys and girlies.

Sounds fab - really cant wait now.....

Emx
Angela
June 01, 2006 05:05PM
Hotel Nostos is superb, very clean with a good sized swimming pool and friendly staff. If you want lively nightlife go to the bottom of the drive and turn left for a 5 min walk to Kalathea or if you want a relaxing time turn right and walk for 20-30 mins to the beautiful village of Afitos(or get a taxi for about 3 euros)
Almost forgot the hotel has its own website, cant do the linky thing but just type the name in google
Emma Heath
June 02, 2006 12:59PM
Thanks Angela - u are a star!

Hotel sounds lovely and i have checked their website - looks superb... Not long now - 2weeks and counting evert minute!!

I just hope the weather picks up a bit.

Fingers crossed guys!!

And Kerry u never know i might bump into you in bubbles.

Cheers Guys Ems x
Erik
June 03, 2006 08:05AM
We are just back from Halkidiki (from yesterday) and it was very fine: the weather, the people, the landscape, much to see and to visit, a very beautiful coast (not too touristic)... all what you wish on beautiful holidays!!!
Halkidiki is a suprising part of Greece!!!
Jasna
June 05, 2006 12:00PM
Hi,

This will be mine and my family's first trip to Halkidiki. We have booked in Hanioti Palace Hotel.
I have a 2.5 year old son and I wonder what is this hotel like, is it fun and safe for children his age. I would like to know more of the rooms and the food, Thanx
June 05, 2006 12:31PM
Good choice ! will be there on Thurs 10 June with my wife. Have stayed there before and is one of the best in Hanoti and is good value. Perfect for children as it is all enclosed and should not be able to wander to far. very nice pool aerea.As with all Greeks they love children and this is a family run Hotel. Food tends to be more on the Greek style but I always found some thing I liked, some people complaied that food could have been warmer but that is how they serve food in Greece. Sure you will enjoy have a good time.
jasna
June 05, 2006 12:43PM

Thans Alan

We are actually going in August and I just can't wait to go there.

Thanks again and have a nice holiday with your family, too.
Stella
June 22, 2006 01:28PM
Hi there,

It's really interesting reading all your comments. It's my first holiday to Halkidiki and my partner and I are staying at the Hotel Nostas in Kalithea for a week - we can't wait! We fly out on 26th June, so not long to go now..

Any suggestions for what to do for days out? We're not really into watersports or a shopping trip to the city of Thessaloniki.

Hope the weather stays nice.. seems to be forecast for thunderstorms..
di james
June 23, 2006 04:08PM
Hi its also my first trip to halkidiki, and i am really looking forward to it. Going to chrousso village,any information would be gratefuly recieved.Wasp situation worrying me but i have read quite a few recent reviews and people say there werent many at all. That could be due to the rain they have had lately.
Vlad Mac
June 24, 2006 08:54AM

James, Hrousou is a tiny settlement in the southern part of Kassandra.
Next you'll find Paliouri Beach to be tip top. Good golden sand and a wide shore with incredible water. In case you have the opportunity, go in a short trip up north, some 25 km to see Afytos.
It is the jewel of Halkidiki. Have a walk through the town (better in the evening) and have dinner at a restaurant named Sousourada ( su'su'ra'da). The gentleman that owns the place is a well known master chef with internationally reputation.
di james
June 24, 2006 02:10PM

vlad mac
thanks for that we will certainly look out for that restaurant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login