Which is best?

Which is best?

Posted by Lyn 
Lyn
Which is best?
April 08, 2006 03:14PM
Could you tell me which travellers cheques are best? Sterling or Euro? and where is the best place to get them from etc... Sorry if this is a silly question. Haven't been abroard for a long time.
Re: Which is best?
April 08, 2006 03:31PM
Get sterling ones from your local travel agent or post office but remember exchange places in resort usually charge commission when they change them,i've only ever used them once,i prefer to just take cash with me & change it in resort as i need it(usually better exchange rate than here) or take your card & use the atm's!

smiling smiley
Lyn
April 08, 2006 04:07PM
Thanks. Do you have to order them from the Post Office or can you just go in and ask for them?Also does it have to be a main post office branch or can you do it at any post office?
Juliet
April 09, 2006 07:35PM
Lyn,

Just a suggestion but you might be better off getting some cash exchanged before you go and then just take your cash card. Depends on where you're staying obviously but I find I seem to get a better deal that way. I was in Hanioti last year and there were at least 3 cash points that I found and it meant I didn't have the hassle of being overcharged for changing travellers cheques.

Anyways just thought I'd suggest it.
jeff fourkas mad dog man
April 10, 2006 06:08AM
lyn hiya

Any sub - post office will do travel cheques or cash i take half euro half cheques and take my bank card which will work with most ATM`s

plus shop around for best deals on travel cheque exchange

JEFF
Lyn
April 10, 2006 01:29PM
Thanks for the info. So much to organise before we go. Can't wait until we're on the plane, then I can relax!
Lyn
April 11, 2006 03:46PM
Am really confused now. Father in law came 'round (never been to Greece) and said that if the currency in Greece is The Euro, then I should get Euro Travellers cheques. Was gonna take some Euros in cash and get Sterling Travellers cheques. Wish I hadn't spoken to him about it now.
April 11, 2006 04:35PM
Yeah Greece is the Euro.Honestly Lyn save yourself the hassle & just take cash & your card or if you really want to take travellers cheques then any post office should have them,just tell them where you're going & they'll sort it for you.Still say don't bother though,you don't get your moneys worth by changing travellers cheques over there!x

smiling smiley
Steph
April 12, 2006 03:35PM
As far as i am aware only main PO's do foreign exchange. marks and spencer offer a better rate or travelex but you have to order online and collect at airport with them.
Lyn
April 12, 2006 10:23PM
Thanks.
April 13, 2006 09:59AM
i always use euro travellers cheques. when you are there virtually anywhere will accept them. It is the safest thing to do!!!
Em
April 13, 2006 11:03AM
I too always take travellers cheques found euro are the best you tend to get a better deal. It definately is safer but i always take cash for the first few days.As they say better to be safe then sorry every year you hear of some poor sod having everything robbed!
April 13, 2006 02:40PM
Yeah exactly that is what has happened to me before, i do take some cash aswell. I have lost all of my money at the start of a holiday before!!! not good. Not in Halkidiki though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login