Has anyone been to Halikidiki in May

Posted by sarahengland2002 
April 06, 2006 07:53AM
Hiya, me and my partner are going to halikidiki - fourke in may and want to know, what the whethers like then, and what there is to do and if anyone who has already been could recommend things to do, we are aged 21- 30.

just after a bit of information on the place really and what there is to do, thank you for your time.

sarah
steve
Re: Has anyone been to Halikidiki in May
April 06, 2006 09:39AM
hi - been going for 15 years and went for greek easter last year returning to Uk on 6 may -weather was brilliant during the day but can chilly in the evenings (can get a little rain). We have Greek friends in Hanioti so always stay there ( call in at Central cafe in hanioti square - opposite cigarette kiosk) - are going ourselves on 6-5-06. Fourke seems quiet but peninsula is not large so easy to get about. Hire a car as driving is easy around the villages and roads will still be quiet in early season.-
season only starts in may so dont expect busy resorts -lovely countryside. cheers steve & sherrilyn
steve
April 06, 2006 09:39AM
hi - been going for 15 years and went for greek easter last year returning to Uk on 6 may -weather was brilliant during the day but can chilly in the evenings (can get a little rain). We have Greek friends in Hanioti so always stay there ( call in at Central cafe in hanioti square - opposite cigarette kiosk) - are going ourselves on 6-5-06. Fourke seems quiet but peninsula is not large so easy to get about. Hire a car as driving is easy around the villages and roads will still be quiet in early season.-
season only starts in may so dont expect busy resorts -lovely countryside. cheers steve & sherrilyn
April 06, 2006 09:56AM
Iagree May can be a little quiet & very early May some places might not be open but the weather is as steve said nice enough to get a tan but chilly in the evenings but it's never that easy to tell as i've been going for 20yrs & worked there for 6 & some Mays have been scorching & others it's rained constantly so pack a small brolly just in case,never been to fourka but exploring is easy so if you get a dull day there is always somewhere to go & some lovely little coves to visit for sunbathing!

smiling smiley
April 06, 2006 05:33PM
sounds a lovely place from what you have said (both of you) we fly out 8th may. so figuers crossed we will get a scourcher may! how exspensive is car hire for the day, as some place abroad can charge quiet alot!. we are thinking of also going diving, does anyone know some where and could recommend some where! cheers
grinning smiley
Jane
April 07, 2006 03:45PM
May has always been good to us when we lived there. Nights as has been said can be a bit chilly. If you are at Fourka, try to hire a car and go up to the old village and over through the mountains a bit, it is lovely. You can also explore other places too if you have a car. Like Kerry said some lovely little coves. Quite a few isolated spots if you head towards Nea Skioni. Stop off just after Mola Kaliva, you will see tracks going down, one that cars manage, others that you park at the side of the road and go down. You should find a lovely (not particularly sandy, but sand and pebble) beach with hardly anybody on it at all. It was very near to where we lived and from April until June I used to be the only one on it in the week, and at weekends the numbers went up to about 6! Lovely clear water and sandy bottom to the sea once you swim out a little. Although saying that, the sea in May has always seemed very cold to us, although we braved it as after five minutes you warmed up a bit.

Have a great time.
steve
April 07, 2006 04:17PM
car hire isnt bad at all - depends on time of year - would think around £20 - 25 per day at the most, but dont quote me (may be cheaper) ! If you are out and about visiting Hanioti while you are on hols - you may bump into us if you call in at our friends cafe bar (Greek - Central cafe) in Hanioti square. cheers Steve & Sherrilyn
Phil Parkin
April 07, 2006 05:09PM
If You want to arrange car hire go to the link at the top of this page Economy car rentals they are the cheapest we have found for Halkidiki ang give a really good service with good quality new car's in there fleet.
Hope you have a good time take a coat for the night's and say hello from Phil and Jackie to all the boys in the Bella Venizia restraunt up stairs near the kiosk in the square (best food in town)
Phil.
Jane
April 07, 2006 05:54PM
We used Economy Car rentals last year and they were very good. We have also used and recommend Kriopigi Cars but if you are at Fourka that is a non starter !

We got a decent car at a good rate with Economy car rentals, so do try them. We were more than happy.
April 15, 2006 07:34PM
Thanx for all your replys, and advice, really looking forward to going. Anyone else know of any good things to do, as we are wanting to make it a holiday to remeber !!! thanx
diane
April 15, 2006 08:42PM
Hi, i am also going on the 8th May with my family,we have been going to fourka for 4years it's a lovely place.There are loads of good resturants my favourite is the Victoria,nightlife is based around about 3 bars which tend to close when the last person leaves, Jimmy's bar near the beach is probably the most popular.We have been once before in May & the weather was lovely so fingers crossed eh.You can get car hire in fourka itself if it's just the two of you.If your going with Thomson's i'm sure they do a diving trip as some friend's of our's went on it a couple of years ago & said it was great.Hope this helps you. What apartments are you staying at?
joanne
April 17, 2006 07:52PM

Weather is great in May, and if you do get a dull day, take a bus to the market on tuesday, take a trip to the caves. Buy a cheap fishing line, might be lucky. Take a hike up to the old village of Hanioti. Hire a bike. Theres loads to see if you have a look for yourself, and are not the sort to be herded around. Have a great time.....Joanne
Paul
April 18, 2006 12:05PM
Sarah,
as for the diving. Never done it myself, but there's a diving shop in Hanioti. I'm absolutely positive they take you out, hire the gear, etc. Maybe some others could add some more to this as I didn't take too much notice. It's located between the Angelo Hotel and the main square.
Juliet
April 19, 2006 07:30AM
Hello,

Just a quick comment about the diving, I stayed in Hanioti last year and went diving with Odssey Dive club in Polichrono. They club were really helpful and I really enjoyed it, if you can't find a dive club in Fourka I'd recommend this one. Roy who works there is often on the forum (see thread titled scuba diving) else check out their site www.odysseydive.com.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login