The euro

The euro

Posted by buster 
The euro
December 12, 2008 08:55AM
I think that unless things change for the better this coming summer we will see a big decrease in the amount of British tourists visiting countries in the euro-zone. Also a lot of ex pats like us that receive a pension from U.K. may have to think long and hard about returning to U.K. as my pension has lost 30% of it's value in the last couple of months, 6 years ago we were getting 1.62 to the pound but with devaluation and price increases here in Greece things are getting tough. last season Fourka had mainly eastern European visitors who brought their own food and hardly spent any money in the resort, only the few British tourists who had made their own way here were using the bars and restaurants. Many of them said they will not be back because it was expensive and other than the Greek holidays it was dead, so what does that say for the season to come with the euro at 1.10 very gloomy I predict.
Re: The euro
December 14, 2008 09:46PM
Hi Buster

I totally agree, we are moving over next July and the little extra euro would have supplimented my flights to and from work plus give us a tiny bit of ' once a month down the local taverna' night out but now its looks like we will have to budget better to get by. I doubt things are going to change much within the next year or so as it appears the wonderful Mr Brown has done a deal with Europe to help with the UK economy and I suspect the price to be paid is to leave the pound poor to encourage europeans to holiday in UK. Sorry state of affairs the UK is in at the moment, but unfortunately I would prefer to be poor in Greece than here.

Jane
Re: The euro
December 16, 2008 04:32PM
Hello Halkidiki & all its many friends who use the forum - Booked some months ago for next June in Hanioti but feeling a little nervous to say the least given the state of the pound to euro - noticed thing more expensive in 2008 so will be worse for us brits in 2009 - could be less than 1-1 !!!!.
Still love the place and people but will have to be selective and careful when going out for drinks and meals. Think we will have to unfortunately visit the supermarket more and take tips from the eastern block tourists. This exchange rate & recession will hit businesses badly & I hope they can weather the storm. Our friends who own the Central Cafe say business was not as good as previous years and a lack of brits was obvious - doesnt bode well.
Happy Xmas & maybe see some of you there, we go 1-6-09 for two weeks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login