HELP - HALKIDIKI ADVICE REQ

Posted by Katie 
Katie
August 06, 2003 02:36PM
Dear All

I need your help on finding out what Halkidiki is really like. I can't decide where to spend 2 weeks with my boyfriend in early Sept (I'm torn between Halkidiki and Corfu - due to the late deals available) My choices are The Sunday Studio's in Gerakini, The Efterpi Studio's in Polychrono or The Cleopatra Studio's in Hanioti. This is all with "Golden Sun" tour operators.

I prefer quiet, small beaches with little coves for snorkelling, clear blue waters and white sands - are there any that you can recommend, and where abouts can I find them??

I want to hire a scooter (we did in Zante but although we had to be v. careful, they were great fun!) Are the roads OK for this in Halkidiki??

How long do you think it would take to travel by scooter from the north of Kassandra, to the south??

We're going self catering, is there anything that you'd reccommend us to take?? Any travel appliances, other than the normal....?

Give me your best tips for enjoying the most of Halkidiki - I'd really appreciate it....

Thanks so much for your help - look forward to hearing from you all

* Katie *
Lee
Re: HELP - HALKIDIKI ADVICE REQ
August 06, 2003 07:26PM
Hi Katie

We've recently returned from Pefkohori, one resort south of Hanioti. All the main resorts seem very geared up for tourism, plenty of restaurants, bars, shops etc. Hanioti to Pefkohori is walkable, but in midday heat may be a bit much! We hired a car and visited a few of the other resorts, Hanioti, Polychrono, Kriopigi, Nea Foukea - didn't get to Gerakini though so have no idea what that is like I'm afraid. There are plenty of small coves hidden away and fairly accessible with a car, so I'm sure there would be plenty more to find on a scooter. There are a few hills though, so may be slow going in some places. The main road runs right around the peninsula and all the resorts easily accessed from here. I would recommend a trip right to the south of the peninsular to Paliouri as this is very peaceful and beautiful scenery. Also West side of the peninsular worth a visit, Loutra, Nea Skioni as is Kassandrino - mountain village.
I'm sure wherever you decide to stay you will have a fantastic holiday. Halkidiki is a wonderful holiday destination with something to please everyone.

Lee
amanda
August 07, 2003 08:15AM
Katie
I live in Hanioti so Im biased!

Come here - its fab and Cleopatra are one of the best apts you can stay at - trust me - Im trying to get my mates in there for next May!

There is a beach 10 mins away which is breathtaking for its golden sands and the blueness of the sea - funny enough its called Golden Beach - not many people go there - it is secluded but beautiful!

Scooter and car hire are fab and there are so many places for you to visit - you will love it!

Our beach here is lovely too - Im just trying to let you know what you are asking for!

Everything else Lee has told you about the villages is true - they're worth visiting!

Hope it helps
Amanda
Daniel
August 09, 2003 09:23PM
Lee

You mentioned that you hired a car. Any chance you can remember how much it was. I am off to Halkidiki in September amd I am struggling to find any cheap car hire. Thanks very much. Katie, From what I have read in books and heard from other people Halkidiki is the place to go. If you are going with your boyfriend I have heard that it is full of couples so you should be fine. Hope you have a good time what ever you do!!!!

Daniel
Lesley
August 11, 2003 12:07PM
Hi Amanda
Have been following your messages with interest ever since my friend and i returned from Hanioti in May this year.We stayed at the Cleopatra Studios and couldn't believe how great they were.We are already booked for next year -when are your mates hoping to go? The apartments are well equipped and so clean -cleaned every day.Maria looks after everyone so well!Do you know them personally?We will definately come to see you as your place sounds very friendly and welcoming just like evrywhere in Hanioti really.Miss it like hell and next May can't come quick enough!
Will keep in touch if that's o.k.?
Cheers
Lesley
worried
August 11, 2003 06:33PM
Hi Katie,
My partner and I went to Halkidiki last year. We stayed mainly on the Sithonia peninsula but visited Kassandra. The two places are very different. If you like plenty of nightlife, busy resorts, lots of people etc. go to Kassandra. If you like beautiful scenery, nature, beautiful quiet sandy bays with clear warm water, no night life, then Sithonia is for you. In September you need not book accomodation in advance. We found vacancies but some places have closed altogether in September. We stayed in a studio in Vouvourou, Toroni and in another one south of Neos Marmaras. Some sort of transportation such a a scooter or small car is essential if you want to explore, the roads are good. The weather in September was just about perfect, not too hot, warm sea, we had hardly any rain except on the days of arrival and departure and then it really came down. I didn't take my snorkel equipment but wished I had.
From the north to the south of either peninsular would take about 3/4 hr by car, without stopping.
As for travel appliances, a small electric kettle!(Never provided in greek selfcatering)
Be warned! Greek plumbing is not up to north european standards.
Toilet paper must not be flushed down the loo but put in a bin provided for this purpose. No shower curtains.
Also greek standards of cleanliness differ from ours, one advantage of not booking in advance is that you can inspect the place before you hire it.
I hope this is of some use. Have a nice trip
Worried
ps I have not been to Corfu,( It has a reputation for laddishness) but have visited several other resorts in Greece. Sithonia quite different from anywhere else)
Lesley
August 11, 2003 07:33PM
Dear Worried

Can't agree with your comments.
Have been to Corfu as well as Hanioti and had kettles in both places.No shower curtain in Corfu but in Hanioti - in fact the Cleopatra is one of the best places i've stayed in Greece.Cleanliness was superb.
As for Corfu being "LADDISH" not quite sure what you mean by that - but Corfu is one of the nicest most welcoming places to go to -depends on what you are looking for of course!
Hope this clears a feww things up.
worried
August 14, 2003 12:57PM
Dear Lesley,
I only said Corfu had a reputation, friends came back with stories of drunken Brits etc.(Some people might consider that a recomendation). If you book accomodation via an operator, then you should expect kettles, cleanliness, shower curtains etc. otherwise they would not contract such accomodation although you never know. We usually travel independently.
We flew to Thessaloniki and hired a car from there, we used internet to find the best deals and haggled over accomodation prices which we found on arrival, had a really great time. Have also been to Pelopenessos, Samos, and Crete, all nice in their ways.
I hope you agree with the other comments.
Worried
Ps to Katie, have you considered Crete? It has a long summer season as it is south. We went to Plakias, and have never seen such crystal clear water, plenty of diving along that coastline I'm told.
A
August 15, 2003 07:31PM
Hey,
My wonderful girlfriend and I are taking our first holiday together in the Hanioti area of Halkidiki, and we were wondering what it is like?? We are in the Saransis Studio's so if anyone has stayed there let me know if it is a good place to stay!!
Any advice or tips on places to go would be very much appriciated.
many thanks,
A & K
Lee
August 16, 2003 07:09AM
Daniel

We hired our car from VIPS in Pefkohori and got a very nice little car with air conditioning - an absolute must - for three days and the cost was 75 euros!!! We had a little bargaining help as a fellow tourist had received this price a few days before us, so we haggled a bit and got the same deal.
I think the original price was 140, which was reduced to 90 then our 75, so it's worth asking for a better deal. We were very happy with the car and the contract and had no problems at all.

Hope you have a good time.

Lee
puddleduck
August 20, 2003 10:16AM
Dear Amanda, how lucky you are to live in the sun!
What can you tell me about Polychrono? We are off there on the 4th of September.
Looking at the map it looks near to Hanioti, is it possible to walk between the two resorts?
What is the local transport system like for getting about?
What sights would you recommend that we visit?

Thanks,
Dawn.
andy
August 20, 2003 04:09PM
halkidiki definately.corfu unless you go to kavos which is rough as hell hasnt really got that much.28 of us have just been to hanioti and it was very good.if you do go can you please go to bar posidonio in polychrono(5 mins from hanioti)and say hi to my brother panos who works there.cheers
katie
April 11, 2006 03:57PM
HELP PLEASE,

Me and my parnter are going to hanioti in Aug this year and are staying at the Cleopatra Studios, i need some information on the hotel what is't like how the room are.

If anyone has some information for me please e-mail me with details.

Thanks Guys

Katie.
jeff pix
scooter hire
July 07, 2008 10:40AM
are there lots of scooter hire shops in kassandra
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login