Is anyone working the summer in halkidiki?

Posted by Antony 
Antony
April 30, 2008 10:30AM
Hey,
I am going to halkidiki to work for the summer. I am goin on my own and dont know the place at all. just wondering if there was any other people in the same situation as me?
Re: Is anyone working the summer in halkidiki?
April 30, 2008 08:26PM
Hi Antony,

I live in Thessaloniki so about an hour from Halkidiki. I have worked in bars in Zakynthos (Zante) for the past 3 summers on my own, so I know a bit about the lifestyle and Greece. If you need anything, feel free to ask.

One question, if you don't know the place at all, why are you coming here to work?

Also - have you got a job sorted or are you just going to search when you get here?

Kris
May 01, 2008 11:22PM
Hi Antony and Kris

I am going also for summer to greece so you are not allone:-)

I would like to go Kalithea or Hanioti in Kassandra...I am just looking for accomodation. I will looking for a job after I arrive. I want to work as a waiter or barman

Kris, can you recomend me some plase to stay overnight in Thesaloniki, I will come there from Athens by bus or train so somewhere near.
I worked last summer in Naxos, it is very nice place, what about Zakynthos?
And what do you think about the place I chose?

cheers
Kezzybabes
May 02, 2008 05:16PM
Antony i have worked many seasons in Halkidiki also alone but i had been going there for years on holidays before that so knew the whole area pretty well,i have to ask why you've decided on Halkidiki if you don't know the place & also what sort of work are you hoping to do?I will say to anyone wanting to do this that it is a brilliant experience,nice weather,meeting loads of different people & making some really good friends but please please don't think it's going to be like one long holiday........when it's 100 degrees outside & you're rushing around serving people etc aint so great,the money can be pretty bad so you're certainly not going to make a fortune & you usually have to commit to the whole season which can lead some employers to withold money from you because they panic & think you're going to leave them in the poo when the height of season comes & all the Greeks visit from Salonika(it gets very very busy)these are pretty minor details though if you just want to do it for the experience & the lifestyle there are many many good points too! It might help if you advertise yourself on here to see if anyone is looking for workers & some employers will provide accomodation but not all do but if you're staying the whole season you can usually negotiate a deal with apartment owners & get a really good price......but you not gonna get a 5 star hotel for 6 mths,acomodation for workers is usually very basic!If you're just planning on flying over & looking for work then you may get something but you will need a wad of money to keep you going until you find something & to cover travel to & from the different resorts(i'm presuming if you don't know the area then you won't really know which resort you will prefer to work in) & also to cover the cost of a flight home if things don't work out.Honestly if it's what you want to do then go for it,good look & you will have a great time but if it's your first time in a strange area then i'd honestly reccomend that you maybe book a holiday there(so you're return flight is covered & you've got somewhere to stay) & look for work.....that way if you don't get anything you can get home & you've had a great holiday & if you do get lucky & get work then at least you've got somewhere to stay while you sort alternative acomodation out or maybe look at getting rep work for a season,that way you can spend your spare time setting a job up for the following season but you will also be gaining knowledge of the area & will get to know local people who are more likely to help you out!Hope that's helped a bit & if you need anything else just ask x
May 06, 2008 06:52PM
Hi vfranek,

Well there are a couple of places you could stay that are near the train and Bus Station. Probably the closest, and one of the cheapest hotels (its almost directly opposite the train station) is the Hotel Rex.

Try having a look here:

thessaloniki.hotel-rex.tobook.com/Greece/Hotels/Hotel-Rex?citypname=Thessaloniki

Another possibility is Hotel El Greco, more info here:

www.hotelelgreco.gr/index.asp

Both these hotels are fairly cheap,although El Greco tends to get better reviews. Both are reasonably close to the bus and train station, though you may be better taking a bus or taxi from the Bus Station - many buses follow the route to these hotels.

Agree with Kezzy that it is sometimes best to book a holiday to find somewhere first. My own personal belief is also that whatever happens you should look for your own accommodation for the summer. I say because you never know what may be round the corner. You may discover that you dislike the job, or that you don't get on with the owner, or that its a very quiet season and they no longer need you - if you have your own accommodation then this rules out the worry of being put on the streets in the height of summer for whatever reason. It also generally means that you will get a better wage from your employer. As Kezzy also says, it is NOT one big holiday. It is very very very hard work, but the rewards can be fantastic!

I'm sure there will be plenty job offers on here over the coming weeks!

Kris
Ivo
June 08, 2008 06:01AM
Hi!

I'm 24, male, from bulgaria. just finished my studies and want to spend my summer by working in Chalkidiki. a friend of mine said, that it's wonderful. is it so? i dont have to do it for the money, but also not afraid of hard work smiling smiley
so i have some questions smiling smiley

1. if i dont work for free, what money do i have to earn to live normaly smiling smiley
2. should i negotiat for room to sleep or i have to find one?
3. tell me more about nea potidaea (not sure about the spelling) smiling smiley

10x
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login