A Review On Pefkohori ~ September '07

Posted by Spring 
October 03, 2007 04:12PM
Well... I got back from Pefkohori couple days ago after a 10 days holiday...
I'd done my homework prior to going there and the tips about where to go out at night, where to eat etc seemed really useful. Our travel agent had told us - pick Pefkohori, it is great for young people!
However, she missed out on one "tiny" detail - it might be great when all the bars are working and when the place is crowded which is not the case in September!
Not to be misunderstood... the place is great! for having a relaxing holiday but I have to admit it came as a shock when, on our first night out (Saturday 21st), a bartender in Cucuredo and then a "PR Manager" of Sushi bar told us - hey why did you come so late? everybody is leaving tonight - the place will be empty.
Not to mention a guy from our own agency who, on my question about Nono bar, replied with: "what?! Nono was closed 20 days ago!". He said it like I was supposed to know that and considering his tone, I thought he was gonna say ...two years ago. lol

Food... I just love Greek food and was absolutely pleased with Syntrivani restaurant! Tried some other too but then got back to the first one I tried (thanks to recommendation from pefkohorivillage.com) smiling smiley
Piza Roma was almost absolutely empty all the time and (like most of the markets), they didn't have much on the menu but didn't bother to get them as they were destocking due to the end of season...
Jasmin, the Chinese restaurant was open only from 7pm till midnight so.. we never managed to get there because the working hours never seemed convenient enough..
Once again, this is not a negative review, I was just shocked with the fact that our travel agency didn't bother to tell us that September is the end of season (and I for some reason had believed that it lasts long through October).

The weather... oh that was "my greatest fear" coming to life.. and I don't think Pefkohori has ever had such dreadful freeze at end September like this year! It rained and it got seriously cold! Especially in the nights. I could not believe seeing that the worst forecasts I had seen on the Internet proved to be true.. Through the week it got better so I eventually stopped thinking about wearing a jacket to save myself from freezing to death on the way from the beach lol
But.. all in all, it was okay.. the sea also got warmer and the weather got totally hot by the time we were supposed to go home ;( (end of last week).

Another thing... shops.. I was amazed with how little interest they showed to even saying hello... I don't understand...Maybe I am missing out on their reasoning but.. isn't it in their interest to show some hospitality and try to sell something?

Cats and dogs... the same as when I was there 9 years ago.. smiling smiley they were everywhere (including our apartment).. I wonder whats the thing with Greece and cats and dogs? I have never seen them running around so freely in any other country. I also have some pictures of them and they are in a photo album (along with tons of other pictures) I've uploaded here:
www.halkidiki.com/photo-album/showgallery.php?cat=552
I hope you will like the pictures and I might add some more if I don't get banned for this review grinning smiley

PS
and here's a video grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2007 04:25PM by Spring.
Re: A Review On Pefkohori ~ September '07
October 04, 2007 05:45AM
Hi Spring

It is a shame you got the bad weather, this is very unusual in September and we should know as we have lived here for three years previously, and also been visiting for 30 years in June and September. The world's weather is a bit unpredictable nowadays, so I hope that doesnt put you off visiting again.

We have found this year that things seem to be shutting earlier than ever before. Not sure why, but there are certainly more Eastern European tourists here now, and less British than ever before. Whether they don't holiday late September I don't know. We would suggest in our opinion that the best time to visit for weather, clubs if you like them, and a more busy atmosphere would be early July.

The worst time, in our opinion again, would be last week July and first two weeks in August, it is mayhem. We used to go back to Blighty these weeks when we used to live here. However, now we have our dog with us we have to brave it out.

Cats and dogs everywhere. It is a real problem here in Greece, and not just Halkidiki. There is a really great English woman who rescues and rehomes dogs as much as she can. In August she had 38 in. I think now she even has a bitch with 9 pups due to be rehomed in Europe. She does her best, but it is in the culture I am afraid that they do not in general neuter their dogs and don't have any sympathy with strays. Also in September, when you came, the end of the Greek season of visitors just ended and some, not all, adopt or bring a young dog with them, and when the leave for the city again they just dump the dog.. We are feeding some dogs in Skioni right now, they are gorgeous labrador crosses with no collars, so therefore I assume strays, and one is so thin I am worried about him, but he is very frightened and wont come to us for food. However, we come back to UK in December for a few months, so I just hope they make it. You do realise that poisoning still goes on all over Greece? We have to be so careful of our own dog and although it is getting better and there are many Greek people who actually like dogs now, this is still a major problem and the usual way of cutting down on strays.

If you come again, it is necessary to let your rep know your thoughts on the animals (if you like animals?). If you read previous posts you will read about one dog in Kriopigi. If we had been told earlier the local area manager from Olympic Holidays who replied to my email to them would have been able to help and the end result would not have been so distressing.

Anyway, enough of my favourite theme, animals. I do hope you will try Halkidiki again. In early July for busy busy, shops open and usually good weather. The trouble this year was that from April til end August Halkidiki suffered from many heatwaves up to 47 deg C, so you could get one of those in July.

Also, if you like to visit busy places as you are young (we are oldies!) and like clubs and bars, then perhaps Hanioti would be better than Pefkohori. Not for us, we like the quiet life over the other side of the peninsula, but Hanioti in July is usually quite busy, everything is open, the beach is nice and there are lots of shops. And centered off the main road, which makes it quieter on the traffic front than Pefkohori. Just a thought.
October 04, 2007 10:01AM
It would appear that Spring was on the Kassandra peninsula at the same time as me ( 24th Sept to 1st Oct) and I can't believe what he/she is saying about the weather. We were in Fourka, not far from Pefkohori, and thought the weather was very good for September. Ok, there was a bit of hazy cloud on a couple of days but it was still lovely and warm, even in the evenings (no need for jumpers or jackets the whole week). And yes, on Weds and Thurs some more serious clouds appeared briefly and dropped about 5 raindrops on us. Hardly the end of the world!

But Friday was gorgeous, and on Sat we got sunburnt and had to cover up on Sunday,our last proper day. We had a great time, didn't notice much that was closed down. Can't imagine that Fourka would be a livelier resort than Pefkohori but possibly, facing more south has a slightly better climate? Again, hard to believe when they are only a few kms apart.

Maybe my weather expectations were lower as have had, 2 years running, really bad, wet and stormy weeks in Crete in early October. So bad last year that my plane could not land at Chania!!!!

I loved Halkidiki and Fourka, but then I too am an "oldie" not looking for a wild time.
October 04, 2007 10:08AM
Nightowl, we too are on the other side, Mola Kaliva is where we live. We certainly saw it a bit colder than usual, but as you say it wasnt that bad. Our thermometer showed lowest temp over that week during the day was 18 early morning, warming up to 20-21. We only had a short shower too, perhaps we are on the better side !

You might like to know since end Sept to now it has been lovely and warm, sorry lol ! We just had three glorious days. Today is glorious too, but a little wind has come back again, but still around 26 deg.

Late Sep/early Oct can always be a bit risky for the weather in Greece, as is early May. Generally though you are unlucky if you get more than a couple of days of cooler weather, but things do change.

We oldies living in Mola Kaliva are used to not seeing anyone now, and it is brilliant. The whole beach to ourselves instead of sharing it with about ten others !!!

Off out to sit in the sun again now, and perhaps even a swim with my dog.........
October 04, 2007 04:01PM
Jane, thank you very much for your posts and I also needed the relaxing atmosphere that Kassandra seems to be great for! so... I am sure some day I will be running back there again winking smiley
I was just surprised with the quietness because I had been told that "Pefkohori is better than Hanioti for young people" and I have been in Polihrono and Hanioti before and had an idea about the atmosphere there.
I was actually in Pefkohori from 20th and the worst weather started the night before and then it gradually got better and yes, it got too hot on Saturday 29th so.. believe it! lol
20-21 is a disaster for me because I was there only for 10 days and I desperately needed SUN! If I had more time per year for relaxing holidays I suppose the few days wouldn't bother me. In any case, the rest of the days were ok .. the entire cool to warm and hot switch turned out to be the best thing for my tan!! ;p
It was simply weird that everything was empty on 22nd after 11pm except Sushi bar which was crowded and two other places that were half empty.. I heard that it was even 7 degrees one night! I wouldn't know because we stayed in due to lack of suitable clothes lol. I am not sure which date it was and I suppose that was one of the reasons why nights weren't so busy.
Then on our last night - 27th the place got incredibly busy with a group of Serbian tourists who had just arrived for some company games (and, I am from Serbia too, I need a break from this country lol)
About cats&dogs.. I like them of course and I had no idea that Greek people didn't like them.. They just seem as if they have their owners (since they all seemed to have collars) but they run around freely and nobody minds.. (if you know what I mean).

I hope you had a nice and sunny day! smiling smiley

btw
do you like my pictures?
October 04, 2007 05:27PM
And the moral of this story is :-

Go to Fourka
its sunny and no dogs and EVERYONE says YASOU lol
and it only rains for 10 minutes

Jeff Fourkas Mad Dog Man
October 04, 2007 06:02PM
I honestly don't mind the dogs - they were friendly
but if everyone says yasou in fourka - agreed!
thanks jeff for the tip

lol
October 05, 2007 06:12AM
Come on Jeff, not only in Fourka do they say Yia Sou !!!! Pefkohori though has got a little bit tourist stale, andby that I mean they dont really bother whether they speak or not. I have never much liked Pefkohori, I dont mind visiting our good friend Vassilis at the Diana Hotel, and sometimes go to the beach out of season, but apart from that I give it a wide berth. Same with Fourka, lol !!!! I think I will stick with where we live and Nea Skioni, and of course Siviris which I love. Nothing there really, just a nice quiet place with a few restaurants, a jetty and a couple of nice beaches.

Spring, the dogs with collars, wandering around. I never quite know how to take this. They are obviously owned but in Greece that does not mean they are kept in the garden, house (hardly ever) or even kept an eye on. Cant understand it myself, I keep a very strict eye on my dog over here. Only yesterday she ate something small before I could stop her. Straight home and salt water down her throat. Felt awful doing it to her, but I couldnt take the risk. Such an idyllic place, lovely people but just those few who are hell bent on poisoning dogs. I love it here, must do after 30 years, and it is a lot better than it used to be with animals. BUT, I am on constant alert. And beware anyone who hurts my dog...!!!

Luckily we have an enclosed garden and straight down to the sea which is not a tourist beach and is not frequented by many at all, especially now. Yesterday me and the dog had it all to ourselves, fantastic.

October 06, 2007 06:07AM
Spring, yes I did like your photos, forgot to say that ! Check mine out too.
October 06, 2007 04:22PM
Thanks Jane! smiling smiley
Just seen yours too. Lovely!
October 07, 2007 08:12AM
jeff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And the moral of this story is :-
>
> Go to Fourka
> its sunny and no dogs and EVERYONE says
> YASOU lol
> and it only rains for 10 minutes
>
>
> Jeff Fourkas Mad Dog Man

No dogs Jeff??? There's plenty of dogs!!!! One less now cos it was killed on the main road while we were there. Very sad. The couple it was following felt very guilty but they had tried to shoo him away but he latched on to them and then dashed into the road.

But on the beach there were about 5 or 6 regularly about, including the Australia's "sheep"-dog (cos he looks like a sheep!! lol) He got his "wool" in such a mess they've had to shear him!! Looks very funny now!!

Also a very nice looking black/sandy bitch, and a HUGE black/speckled Setter-Pointer type dog, and not forgetting little "Stumpy" the collie-type with very short legs. lol

And the fabulously pretty ginger-coloured puppy, seems based around Aristides, but he gets EVERYWHERE, even over to the Julia. I hope his luck holds out with the road, dunno if he's clever or lucky so far!!

All best wishes to everyone in Fourka and the rest of Halkidiki. Missing you.
xxxxx

October 19, 2007 05:30PM
Hi all,
came back last week after havin two weeks in Pefkohori, with gorgeous weather, couple have things have changed since i last went out there but still the same lovely place that i adore, i've always had a good time in the 18 years i been coming here and look forward to moving out there one day, great to catch on my friends out there too.

Will go back next year XXXXXX
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login