Remember the abandoned Fourka innocents...

Posted by yorkshire lass 
July 17, 2007 04:35PM
Good News everyone....
If you recently read the topic about the abandoned dogs in Fourka, and ways to make donations.
Well, GOOD NEWS, one of the dogs has recently been adopted and taken to his new home in AUSTRIA.
He is truly one of the lucky ones, as he has only been on the streets of Fourka since May.
Of cousre, there are still a few homeless dogs on the streets of Fourka, and possibly regular visitors to the town will recognize the dogs...always lazing around Iris cafe. Maybe a couple of these dogs are more accustomed to that kind of life now. So, all I can say is please please please keep making those donations, as the homeless still need regular feeding, even through winter when the town is closed to the tourist season.
Best wishes
Kim
Ps: You can see the brown dog 'paddling' in the members gallery.

YOU CAN'T SAVE EVERY ANIMAL IN THE WORLD.
BUT FOR THE ONE YOU DO SAVE, IT IS THE WORLD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2007 03:32PM by yorkshire lass.
Re: Remember the abandoned Fourka innocents...
July 17, 2007 09:05PM
BOO HOO

i am very sad that all my doggy friends have been POISENED /or moved to the mountains or are now living in UK i miss them so much.

yes i know most tourists are frightened of them as is my partner but i never got bit or worried by the dogs at anytime in fact they would watch my stuff on the beach while i went for a meal or shopping.

Jeff Fourkas Mad Dog Man
July 19, 2007 11:37AM
Just been emailed another photograph of an abandoned puppy, now called Annie,check out the photos. Annie only had hours to live, due to her being too young to search for food.

Julie now as 38 dogs to care for at this present time.

If anyone would like to officially complain then please go to the following website, where there is an online complaint form.

www.gnto.gr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2007 12:01PM by yorkshire lass.
July 19, 2007 03:33PM
YOU CAN'T SAVE EVERY ANIMAL IN THE WORLD.
BUT FOR THE ONE YOU DO SAVE, IT IS THE WORLD.
July 20, 2007 04:21PM
Have found two abandoned pups in the dry riverbed this morning, a beautiful pair, we will be looking after them for a week until Julie has room for them, can't keep them any longer as we have a very large anti social German shepherd who will tolerate them as pups but not when they get older.
July 20, 2007 06:36PM
There seems to be an influx of abandoned pups at the moment.
One was found 10 days ago, on the beach, with only hours to live.
Why oh why don't the owners, for once, just act sensible and responsible and get the bitches/dogs operated on to stop the puppies.
It beggers belief on how these peoples minds work, it really does.
I know Julie will help you out, even though she is totally stretch over the limit to what she can house in numbers.
Its about time the Greek government started pulling their fingers out and get this problem sorted, if they are not prepare to educate then they should be prepare to support the kind of rescue centres, like Julies.
It would seem that this is a wide spread problem throughout Greece, check out the website created by the Canadians, the pictures on there are shameful, and they were taken in Athens during the 2004 Olympics.
I love visiting Fourka, and I love to visit the friends I have made over the years in the town, they too are innocents in this serious matter, having other folk's responsibilities dumped on their doorstep.
But what I don't love is the Greek government taking my tourist spendy money, through the taxes of those local businesses,here and anywhere else the problem is, and won't do nothing to at least slow down the problem of abandoned animals, by getting through to the owners about being responsible.
Mind you their answer is to not stop the offenders who are illegally laying poison down. Its a case of....
'Well, you should not really do it, but if we turn a blind eye...' I wonder how long it will be before a child innocently playing becomes a victim of poisoning.

Buster, thank you for helping those puppies, and not turning a blind eye.
July 22, 2007 08:45AM
I have put a photo in the gallery of the pups I found in the river, how could anyone abandon these two little things, I am sure Julie will find them good homes.
July 25, 2007 05:30PM
Hi Buster, where abouts are you in Halkidiki? We are coming over Aug til Dec, then next two years we have rented a house and hope to be there most of the time. We cannot unfortunately take any dogs or pups into our rented house, although we did manage to get the owner to agree to us taking our own dog, but only one !

It would be nice to know where to contact you or anyone else who is willing to help in the case we find some abandoned pups (like we did last summer), especially if Julie is full to overbrimming as she usually is in summer.

Poor little things, they look so cute. But then so did the four we rescued last year.

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you. And anyone else who we can contact whilst over there.

Jane
July 26, 2007 08:31AM
Hi Jane,
My wife Christina and me live in Fourka village, not the beach but the village itself. We have our dog Rocky a large german Shepherd, he is getting on with the pups for now in small doses but it would be a different matter if they were here for any length of time. Julie will be taking them tomorrow, I went up to see her on Monday and she does a fantastic job there and needs all the help she can get. Where will you be living over here? Hope you enjoy our winter, we had none this year, but that is not the norm.
Regards Buster
July 26, 2007 08:46AM
Hi Buster, we will be living in Mola Kaliva. We lived there before for three summers too. In all we have been coming over for the last 30 years. We know about the winters! We came over last November and it was lovely. Came over in late March this year and missed the summer in England ! We will be coming over April to Nov next two years but this year due to other commitments we can only get in August til Dec (and this depends on some health tests my husband now has to have, so cross fingers we will leave England 3 August)

Be nice to have some contacts though for when we get there. We do have some lovely greek friends, but sometimes you need someone who understands English well to help out. I do speak Greek, and read and write it, but am a bit rusty after 5 years back in the UK with only short holidays over there, so will take some time to get up and running again.

We are bringing our labrador over, she loves the sea so will be happy as larry as we are on the beach. However, I am so concerned about the poisoning issues, so any advice on that score would help me. I know I have to keep my eye on her constantly as labradors eat anything, so lets hope we will be OK. Put it this way, anybody hurts my dog and, well it speaks for itself what I will do if I find them....!

Thanks for answering, hope to hear further from you.

Jane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login