Weekly Markets.

Weekly Markets.

Posted by Otis 
Weekly Markets.
May 25, 2007 04:14AM
Were heading for Hanioti in 2 weeks time and wondered if there were any weekly markets close by also is Thessaloniki the nearest large town or are there any nearer towns that are worth a visit.
Is Hanioti the liveliest resort in the region?
Re: Weekly Markets.
May 25, 2007 07:26AM
There is a market in Kassandrea on Kassandra. For the life of me, and we live there months on end, I cannot remember the day, but I think it is Tuesday. There is also a much larger market in Nea Moudania which is about half an hour drive away the following day, i.e. Wed or Thursday. Someone on the forum will confirm, my memory must be going down the pan!

The market in Kassandrea has loads of fruit veg etc., but also some clothing, household and shoes. The market in Nea Moudanea is much bigger and has loads of everything. Nea Moudanea is also, in our opinion, a nice ordinary Greek town to visit. Nothing flashy, pavements a big dodgy, but people friendly and some nice little shops and food places.

Thessaloniki is a beautiful city. We really only discovered how nice it was when we lived in Halkidiki for three summers and actually found you could park in Thessaloniki. Lovely old style markets. Fish market, poultry market, vegetables. Things like small corks which sounds silly, but we needed some for some odd shaped bottles. Herbs, olive oil. Two nice deli's just outside the market selling some lovely oyster mushrooms amongst other things.

Nice coffee places, the nearer the sea the more expensive though. We usually have coffee inside the centre where we park which also houses the American Bank.

Some really nice shops in the city. If the weather is hot though, it is a tiring day. Try to go on a cloudy or overcast day, not that you want one on holiday, but you never know.

Hanioti is probably the most tourist orientated of the villages that side of the peninsula. When we went in Nov and March it was the one that was most deserted. However in season it is lively but not over the top. We go to people watch from one of the bars. Try the Beer House and remember Jane and Martyn to Marios and tell him we will see him in August.

Try the Sweet Coffee Shop in Kriopigi a few miles away. Lovely crepes to die for, sweet and savoury. New this year are the low fat buffalo burgers. Home made pizza, toasties etc. etc. Nice coffees and teas, alcoholic drinks, and nice friendly owners Morfy and Sakis who are our good friends. They will make you very welcome and it is a true Greek feeling place but providing good food and drink for Greek and foreign tourists.

Also Casablanca bar in Kriopigi, Debbie and Tony. Made us feel very welcome in March and in our 30 years we had never been there, so there is a first time to do something each time you go!

Enjoy your holiday. I dont know much about clubs, too old I am afraid. But I am sure if you are into clubbing some more opinions will follow quickly.

Ask me if you need any more info like Greek places to eat rather than just tourist ones, nice beaches to visit, places to drive if you intend to hire a car.

Hanioti is a good place though if you dont want to drive as you have the beach, village, shops, eating places by the dozen and friendly people.

Have a great time.
May 25, 2007 11:37AM
Jane - any heads up on greek places to eat near Pefko?
May 25, 2007 11:51AM
Hi Otis,

I agree completly with Jane, especially Beer House is great winking smiley

I think Hanioti&Pefkohori are the villages with the most British Tourists, in the other villages it is more mixed and many Greeks which live in Thessaloniki and make their vacations in Chalkidiki.

Another nice Weekly Market is (if I remember right) every Wendesday morning in Nea Moudania.

Every Village there is a visit worth, u make nothing wrong if u visit every evening another.

For clubbing I prefer ofcourse Kallithea ! But in Hanioti/Pefkohori are a few nice places too.

May 25, 2007 11:56AM
Hi Dave, depends on whether you have transport. We don't actually eat in Pefko, we usually eat in Paliori (Yannikos) and Loutra (Villa Stasa) as we find these places are very low in tourist numbers and have more Greek people go, hence it is cheaper to eat, good portions and real Greek food.

There are obviously some places like this in the tourist towns but I have to be honest and say we don't usually go to many of them.

We go to the Sweet Coffee Shop in Kriopigi, there is a good taverna in Kallithea, a place we don't usually go to but the taverna is good. Will try to remember name, but it is right next door to Massoutis. We went in March and had some excellent freshly cooked meat dishes. Gyros, nice snack and available anywhere. Nowhere really any better than anywhere else, it is a good cheap snack.

Also go to Anthoulas in Kriopigi village square, off the main road. Nice dishes, bit more expensive but things here you will find nowhere else.

Hanioti, we sometimes go to Gusto Italiano Pizza when we feel like a change from Greek food. The food at the Beer House is also good and freshly made.

Nea Skioni. Anywhere really on the front for snacks, ie. spaghetti, pizza, Greek salad. In the main part of the village for kebabs, gyros, light meals. Nice pub. La Place. Got big screens (although sound turned down) but we liked the atmosphere when we went in March. Depends how they open up the front of the shop in hot weather as we do not particularly like sitting in smoky places but made do in the colder months.

Where we live in Mola Kaliva there are two tavernas we have yet to try when we go over later this year, but they both get good reviews. Villa Maria and Galini.

We did find in Pefkohori that the drinks and coffees are much more expensive on the seafront. We usually have coffees at Kriopigi, in Kassandrea town when you visit the market, or if you have a car Siviris is a nice little village to visit. Not much there, but a nice coffee shop where you can sit almost on the beach, nice beach to the left of the jetty that does not get too busy until August time and the jetty, just a nice place to sit and watch. Also in Siviris is a good fish restaurant right next to the jetty. Well known and been there years, so if you like fish try there. Having said that Villa Stasa do great fish too.

That gives a few ideas. I am sure you will get many more.

Have a good holiday.

May 25, 2007 02:39PM
Thanks Jane, we will have a car so will probably follow up some of your leads. Have been to the Sweet coffee shop (what an angel Sakis is). I can picture many of the places you mention but have never tried them so we'll be a bit more adventurous this time.

cheers
May 25, 2007 05:39PM
Thanks to all for the swift replys you guys really are helpful, Efharisto!
June 23, 2007 04:52PM
Hi Jane,

I was wondering as you know the place so well...

Do you have any photo's of the Kassandra Town Hall? My finace and I have today booked to get married there next May and as yet have only found one photograph!

Can you help??
June 23, 2007 06:36PM
I am sorry I dont have any pictures of the town hall. However we go over in Aug for a few months and I can get a few pics then, so if in the meantime you dont get any I will email you some later this year. We just have to get our internet at the house sorted out, but that shouldnt take too long.

If you can send me a private email with your email address I can make sure we take it with us on the laptop, otherwise I might forget which thread to reply to !

Cheers

Jane
June 24, 2007 09:58AM
Weekly market in Kassandra on Tuesday's is easily got to from Hanioti by Bus leaving the main road bus stop at 9.40 am approx (Bus Stop just up from Sarantis Apartments or go past Taxi rank to main Road turn left and Bus Stop outside Bakery Cake Shop fare 1.90 euros each and book to Kassandra you get off at terminus check in office for return times and remember to purchase return ticket before boarding. the second larger Market is exactly as the kassandra market but everything twice
Night Clubs are situated Between Kriopigi and Kalithea you should see them on the right hand side on your transfer get your rep on board to point out if interested
June 24, 2007 06:58PM
Hi Jane,

That would be really fab if you wouldn't mind doing that I'd really appreciate it!

I'll forward my email address.

Nicola :-)
June 24, 2007 08:12PM
OK Nicola. We are off to USA tomorrow for a month, so send me a private email and on our return just before we leave for Halk I will check my messages and keep you informed once we get there.

Cheers
June 24, 2007 09:09PM
Thanks a lot, Jane. Much appreciated!

Nicola x
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login