Mount Athos

Mount Athos

Posted by Sarah L 
Mount Athos
May 15, 2007 01:08PM

Hiya

I have seen the amazing picture that Nic has done of Mount Athos from the beach at Sarti, Sithonia the view of the mountain is amazing - can you see that kind of view from the Kassandra Peninsular in perticular Hanioti or along that coastline?

Thanks xx
Re: Mount Athos
May 15, 2007 02:16PM
Hi

Unfortunately Mount Athos is a bit far away to see it well from the Kassandra Peninsula. You may see it if it is a really clear day but usually a bit hazy.
There is a good boat trip which takes you a long the coast line of Mt Athos, is stunning but as you probably know you can't get to close or get on it.
You can book with your rep or local tour offices, it goes from Sithonia though, it's worth it.

Love Claire xx
May 15, 2007 03:31PM

Hi Claire

Thank you for the info, I will deffinately keep the boat trip in mind, every holiday I go on a boat trip they are generally alot of fun so this sounds great.

Take care
Sarah xx
Nic
May 15, 2007 04:41PM
Hiya Sarah,

Thanks for your comments on the picture.
Like Claire says, you can't really get a good view from Kassandra unless you go right down to the end of the peninsula, even then it's in the distance and usually too hazy for good view.
So, unless you wanna take a drive to Sarti, the boat trips are your best bet. If you do take the drive down there, you'll see it's well worth it. The Sithonia peninsula has some excellent scenery and some fine beaches!

Thanks again,

Nic!
May 16, 2007 08:42AM

Hi Nic

Thank you, we are getting a car for a few days and are planning to travel around to the other coastline so I'll look out for Sarti beach for the views

Thanks
Sarah x
May 18, 2007 12:07PM
Just a quick not though Sarah, if you want a fun trip on a boat you would be best off on something like the sunshine cruise as this is what you would expect for a good laugh and fun filled day, bar, swimming, takes you over to Sithonia but you don't see Mount Athos. The boat to Mount Athos, well the one I went on is a catermaran, you can't jump off and it's quite a long trip without getting off, very good but in a very differnet way to the sunshine cruise.

Just give you something to think about.

Love Claire xxxx
May 18, 2007 02:35PM

Hiya Claire

Thank you for that - I think the Sunshine Cruise sounds more like what were used to so I might give the Mount Athos one a miss

Thanks Again
Sarah xx
May 18, 2007 04:12PM
Where do the boat trips leave from, we're staying in Hanioti?
May 18, 2007 04:49PM
Boats depart from Ormos Panagias (Sithonia Peninsula) and from Ouranoupolis.
Since you will be staying in Hanioti, it is closer to drive to Ormos Panagias.

Boats departing from Ormos Panagias
www.halkidiki.com/ormos-travel/index.htm

Boats departing from Ouranoupolis
www.athos-cruises.gr/

------------
Nikos
Forum Admin
nikos at halkidiki.com
May 18, 2007 06:28PM
Thanks Nikos i've had a look on the www.halkidiki.com/ormos-travel/index.htm it was very helpful.
May 21, 2007 11:49AM
Boats for the sunshine cruise always used to leave from Choruso bay, can't spell it, or down that way, not much further down from Hanioti but for the Mount Athos it is the other peninsula.

Love Claire xxxx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login