Information Required

Information Required

Posted by Sarah L 
Information Required
August 30, 2006 09:41AM
Hi

This may sound like a stupid question, but how bad has the pine forest in Hanioti been affected?

I've seen post's saying how the resort itself it fine and all the hotels which is great, but i've also seen a post saying how they are expecting to have new trees planted in the next two years does this mean that the whole forest area has gone? Is the surronding area still very green or does it now look barren?

Thanks
xx
Jeff fourkas mad dog man
Re: Information Required
August 30, 2006 12:17PM
I layed my dear departed wifes ashes in the forest near the Black Pool between Fourka and Hanioti/Polychrono

I just hope that the place i layed her to rest is not effected but im going over to Fourka in May to see just what has happened.

R.I.P KATHY
August 30, 2006 08:44PM
Sarah,

It was mainly the forests that were affected.

It is certainly not totally barren and in places it may look if though there was never a fire. The fire was fanned by a strong wind and the pattern of the burning seems to have followed that.

You may get a better idea by looking at my video at [www.vimeo.com]. or

the video of the surrounding countryside is taken from the top of the Olympic Kosmas but I did wander up into the forest behind it but had to be careful because they were still water bombing the area. I suspect the further up and in you go the picture may be different.

Chris
August 31, 2006 09:00AM

Chris,

did you go up as far as Kosmas houses. We have a house up there and I know the fire was all around it. Has the area in front of the houses been totally destroyed. Cant even imagine what it looks like.
August 31, 2006 10:05AM

Hi Chris

I would just like to say thank you so much for that information, it's been a great help - although I'm sure it was horrendous, and the clean up operation is going to be hugh the media tend to try and scare people into thinking the place is written off which is unfair for the locals as they depend on the tourist industry. But this will not put me off going it just give's a bit of incite, i'm sure it's as beautiful as every and let's face it the Greeks are beautiful people so i'm sure they will make up for it anyway!!

Thank again

Sarah x
August 31, 2006 07:28PM
Joanne,

If you mean Kosma from the Olympic Kosmas then I dont actually know where the houses are but Kosma did go up the day following the fire to his farm to bring the dogs down and Maria said that their houses survived the fire.

Chris
August 31, 2006 08:39PM
Sarah,

Have uploaded some photos onto the user photo's. there are some of the fire and the damage ( How the petrol station didnt go up I dont know) and one of how hanioti should be remebered

Chris
Nigel
August 31, 2006 09:29PM
Chris,

Some excellent pictures put obviously for the wrong reasons. I am amazed that the petrol station survived especially as the Go-Karts and supermarket were not as lucky.

Nige
August 31, 2006 09:41PM

Thankyou for the pictures, our house is over the other side of the hilltop hotel, just over the ridge, and up the road from the Daphne hotel. It looks like there are still bits of green. So glad Yip the great dane survived, we knew he would be up there, think there were puppies too.
September 01, 2006 08:47AM

Hi Chris

Thanks! those pictures are unbelievable, I can't believe how close it got to the petrol station - it doesn't even bear thinking about! You have been so helpful and i am really grateful to you for showing those pictures. Thanks again x

Joanne i'm so pleased your house is ok and the Great dane and her pups!!!!!

Take Care
Sarah x

September 01, 2006 08:52AM
Joanne,

Yes Kosmas brought the puppies down as well. My son thought it great fun with the puppies until Yip walked around the corner as Yip is almost as big as him and he hasn't seen a great dane before.

Nige

yes we were as well especially as the area behind the petrol station got burned as well. I have some pictures of that as well but didnt post them. The only thing I can think of is that the Fire Brigade protected it ( or depending on your religous beliefs someone else)

Chris
Robert
September 08, 2006 10:21AM
Hi,

I'm just about to book a holiday at the hilltop hotel. The travel agents aren't saying much other than saying it'll be alright (not particularly useful) but does anybody know if its definitely ok to go ahead and book?

thanks
Robert
dogs
November 04, 2006 09:51AM
hi jeff you wont remember us but we came to your bar a few times with san and moz just want to know if you know what happend to a little dogcalled patch he stayed with us in yannis appartments above the chillout bar for a month going back to fourka august 27 next year bren dave
November 04, 2006 04:34PM
hi bren

sorry not been to fourka for 2 yrs now so lost touch with what dogs are still in village.

going back may 2007 to see friends and dogs lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login