just back from 2 weeks in Pefkohori

Posted by DaveS 
DaveS
September 22, 2006 01:28PM
Gosh, weren't they lucky! Many of them put it down to divine providence but whether or not you go for that depends on you. Certainly there are lots of places particularly along the Hanioti to Pefkohori stretch where it has crossed over even the beach road yet left the houses untouched.
Indeed, very very few buildings have been affected. I drove around a fair bit, if you go up the top between Hanioti and Nea Skioni or up just above Agia Paraskevi you can see the extent of it. I walked a fair bit of the ridge between there and Kassandrino as well. Some clearing up has started around the villages.

Whilst we were there there was no ash in the sea until last Sunday (when it mysteriously arrived) but even then there wasn't much. The seaweed on your average day on the beach in the UK is far more annoying. There is a line of black charcoal up the middle of the beach, it seems to run from Pefkohori up to Polychrono but again it wasn't anything to create a fuss about.

From last weekend onwards lots of places seemed very quiet - many closing and some of those that were open were empty. According to Anna at the Ioli Village a lot of independent bookers cancelled. Those with tour operators couldn't because their policies didn't cover such an eventuality. I treated my wife to a facial and a back massage at the House of Smile down the bottom of Pefkohori seafront (recommended, wife raved about it). They only opened at the end of July and were booked up through September, but with the fires everyone cancelled. Folk are a bit worried about the knock on effect next year. Elsewhere the other villages seemed very quiet although the beach in Hanioti was still packed at least in the middle. Not sure how typical this is of September and how much is the fire effect.

A Great breakfast at the central cafe in Hanioti: a good meal one night at Tsapari down at the bottom end of Pefkohori seafront; evenings sitting outside Paul's bar, more atmospheric than the other areas of town.

Sampled the delights of the Gluko Sweet shop in Kryopigi due to recs of Jane and others, what a lovely couple Morfy and Sakis are. Their crepes aren't too bad either!!! Second time we just stopped off for a drink and Sakis (who had never met us before and for whom we were just two faces off the street) came out with a free chocolate filled crepe because 'he just wants to make people happy'. (I don't think we were looking particularly miserable.)

Great weather for most of the time, sea lovely and warm, another great holiday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login